Author Topic: Input Club K Type Thread  (Read 50816 times)

Offline lekashman

Re: Input Club K Type Thread
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 11:42:55 »
The purpose of the two ports is to allow the keyboard to "daisy-chain" additional Input Club (seen here http://input.club/devices) keyboards running KLL firmware together. This opens the door to fancy things like using an Infinity ErgoDox as a number pad and we added it because no one else is doing this sort of thing with separate devices. Both ports on the K-Type are this sort of connector, just so there is no confusion.

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:28:44 by lekashman »

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 23:44:22 »
so... Is there a timeline on when this will drop? Need to find a home for some new keycaps.
-Axiomatik

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 23:52:25 »
Switch choice looks like it's going to be limited. Unfortunately.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 10:04:46 »
any update guys? would the buy happen in 2016 or 2017 is more realistic?

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 10:10:54 »
any update guys? would the buy happen in 2016 or 2017 is more realistic?

I seem to remember getting an email recently that said they were still shooting for a 2016 release.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 10:39:16 »
Screenshot from my most recent email from them (9 days ago - Nov 21 2016)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:06:49 »

Show Image

She's a beauty!  Now I'm going to have to make some tough decisions :(

Is it still USB-C?

It this going to run through Massdrop like the White Fox?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 11:43:40 »
I sure hope it's still USB-C. I'm all about consolidating behind one reversible connector.

Offline Parak

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 13:06:43 »
Yep, still very much Type C - two of them to be exact. Based on that work we've actually already done Type C for the previous and current Infinity Ergodox batches, so it's a well known component to us now. Which made that to my knowledge the first shipping (kit) keyboard with native Type C :D

KType's implementation is considerably more complex, however. I had a few brain cells go on strike when I did the schematic with HaaTa.

Offline Data

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 13:25:00 »
This is probably the last board that I'll buy for a while.  It's kind of my end game...  :-X

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 15:03:25 »
Oh wow they added an led strip. Still really want this especially after the decision to move to cherry stabs :)

Offline OverKill

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 06:39:23 »
Oh wow they added an led strip. Still really want this especially after the decision to move to cherry stabs :)

We also added hot swappable switches.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 10:05:21 »

Show Image

I didn't get this email update which is weird cause I did the email sign up since 2015 and got the September email  :eek:

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 10:08:01 »

K-Type has been, in my mind, my end-game keyboard since the very first announcement and with every updates it gets further vindication!  :thumb:

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 11:26:21 »
NOTE: We selected the Kai Hua Blue RGB SMD LED compatible switch for the Blue Switch in the K-Type after our findings. Other factors that had considerable weight in our decision making process was Kai Hua's development of SMD LED compatible light pipes to maximize LED brightness, invention of a novel hot-swappable switch mount included with every switch, and clear housings for better light dispersion.

Dont really know how to feel about this, every kailh blue switch I tested sucked. I even had a Nixeus moda with stuck switches and tons of chattering. Also, pretty much all of them felt like having a second bump near the end, when the clicky part of the stem scratched against the housing, like this:

https://gfycat.com/SomeLegitimateGibbon

I never tested RGB kailh tho, so maybe they improved the switches. If its like the regular version, it would be pretty disappointing.

Thats interesting. Do you have any info about their expected life? I liked how Zhuque/Glorious included this feature, but the lack of information about its durability worried me. Wouldnt it be more prone to defects like chattering?

Offline OverKill

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 15:28:38 »
NOTE: We selected the Kai Hua Blue RGB SMD LED compatible switch for the Blue Switch in the K-Type after our findings. Other factors that had considerable weight in our decision making process was Kai Hua's development of SMD LED compatible light pipes to maximize LED brightness, invention of a novel hot-swappable switch mount included with every switch, and clear housings for better light dispersion.

Dont really know how to feel about this, every kailh blue switch I tested sucked. I even had a Nixeus moda with stuck switches and tons of chattering. Also, pretty much all of them felt like having a second bump near the end, when the clicky part of the stem scratched against the housing, like this:

https://gfycat.com/SomeLegitimateGibbon

I never tested RGB kailh tho, so maybe they improved the switches. If its like the regular version, it would be pretty disappointing.

Thats interesting. Do you have any info about their expected life? I liked how Zhuque/Glorious included this feature, but the lack of information about its durability worried me. Wouldnt it be more prone to defects like chattering?

Chattering has nothing to do with the hot swap mechanism. Chattering occurs when the contacts inside of the switch make contact and it the signal "bounces" from the on state to the off state rapidly until the contact finally is in it's resting position. As for the durabiity the hot swap connectors are rated at 100 cycles.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 10:47:43 »

if Kailh blue is one of the switch options then what are the selections for brown & clear varietals, if any? I would like to use this board whenever wherever, which means at work in an office also so no clickies for me :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 December 2016, 10:49:26 by thelaughingman »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 11:31:28 »
Yep, still very much Type C - two of them to be exact. Based on that work we've actually already done Type C for the previous and current Infinity Ergodox batches, so it's a well known component to us now. Which made that to my knowledge the first shipping (kit) keyboard with native Type C :D

KType's implementation is considerably more complex, however. I had a few brain cells go on strike when I did the schematic with HaaTa.

I've been thinking that I might be able to handle my ErgoDox issues with a custom keycap for the thumb button. If you guys made the next ErgoDox infinity USB-C all around, I'd definitely pick one up.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 11:32:36 »
Chattering has nothing to do with the hot swap mechanism. Chattering occurs when the contacts inside of the switch make contact and it the signal "bounces" from the on state to the off state rapidly until the contact finally is in it's resting position. As for the durabiity the hot swap connectors are rated at 100 cycles.

So I can only swap out switches 100 times? That's less than promising :(

Offline Data

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 12:23:39 »

How often would you realistically expect to do full keyboard switch swaps?

I bet it's less than 20.  100 is overkill and you wouldn't use a board this nice as a switch tester (I hope!).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 13:39:37 »

How often would you realistically expect to do full keyboard switch swaps?

I bet it's less than 20.  100 is overkill and you wouldn't use a board this nice as a switch tester (I hope!).

I agree. In fact, I would bet that swapping out a full set of switches would happen on average 1-4 times max for the life of the keyboard.  It's a very nice feature for someone new to mechanical keyboards that gives them the ability to try out a full board of switches for only $20-30.  Whereas many of us had to resort to purchasing several keyboards with different switches for the same experience.  I have no use for the feature now that I own 8 keyboards (of course with 3 on the way) all with different switches.  However, as long as it does not add a significant cost to the board, I see it as a nice bonus.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 14:06:33 »
I'd take that bet. I'd win.

I change up what switches I type on all the damn time. Also, it's not full swaps I'm worried about. One of the appeals of a hot swappable board is to easily try out combinations of switches. Combine that with my proclivity for changing what switches I like to type on fairly regularly, and the problem of one of those plugs wearing out becomes highly likely.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 14:24:07 »

I change up what switches I type on all the damn time. Also, it's not full swaps I'm worried about. One of the appeals of a hot swappable board is to easily try out combinations of switches. Combine that with my proclivity for changing what switches I like to type on fairly regularly, and the problem of one of those plugs wearing out becomes highly likely.

I see your point. But I would think most "enthusiasts" accomplish this by switching boards, not desoldering.  Wouldn't it be much easier to just grab another board than to spend 20 minutes switching out switches and caps?

I too change my mind about what kind of switch I want, based on my task or my mood.  That's why I have 8 keyboards :)

It would be cool if they decided to offer a DIY kit (like white fox) where you could choose to do either traditional or hot-swappable.

What would be even sweeter is if someone could create a new switch that was somehow controlled by the keyboard to add extra tension or clicky-ness.  Like toggling the snares on a snare drum on and off.  Just put MX stems on it and I'll buy!  Well, also don't make it as ugly as the gloriousgaming board (make it beautiful like the k-type!)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 14:39:50 »
That's what I do currently, but what I'm talking about is multiple switch types on the same board

Offline Data

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:24:14 »

I'd say this falls well outside the intended use case.  Your expectations exceed the design parameters.  I'd hate to turn anyone away (as if I had that power!  :)) ) from what will assuredly be an outstanding keyboard, but if you're expecting to do that many switch swaps then maybe K-Type isn't for you.  I'm struggling to think of any keyboard that would enable you to do that many swaps without a failure point...

Or if you're otherwise still interested in the board, maybe temper your expectations a bit?  Not sure what to tell you.  :-[

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:52:38 »
Oh it's definitely not a deal breaker. Just mildly disappointing. Still gonna get one, as I love the usb-C and full programmability. I just won't use that particular feature as much :)

Offline Data

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 16:00:30 »
Oh it's definitely not a deal breaker. Just mildly disappointing. Still gonna get one, as I love the usb-C and full programmability. I just won't use that particular feature as much :)

Wise.  ;)

Offline Parak

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 13:46:30 »
FWIW, if I'm reading it correctly, some of the more popular aftermarket socket mods for switches only claim being tested for 50 insertion cycles. Mill-max ones are better, but would be prohibitively expensive to put into keyboard.

Offline reidacus

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 16:47:59 »
Hi All,

My apologies if this is something that has been asked before but do we have any clear timelines / milestones for when this may come to market? Appreciate that a lot of work goes into making these devices and I would rather that its done properly and takes a little longer than rushing it out. I love everything about this and the forward thinking and can't wait to get my hands on a few :)

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 22:11:04 »
Hi All,

My apologies if this is something that has been asked before but do we have any clear timelines / milestones for when this may come to market? Appreciate that a lot of work goes into making these devices and I would rather that its done properly and takes a little longer than rushing it out. I love everything about this and the forward thinking and can't wait to get my hands on a few :)

no eta yet
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline OverKill

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 17:51:21 »
Hi All,

We are hoping to get it out before the end of the year.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 10:51:04 »
Hi All,

sooooo next week or the week after (?)  :eek:

Offline Data

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 11:49:04 »
Hi All,

I guess technically they have 25 days to launch the GB.  :D

Offline JDragon

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 17:40:59 »
Kai Hua Blue RGB SMD LED

Is there any way to source these switches whether in an existing board or individually so I can compare to Cherry MX RGB? Looked around on AliExpress and other sources but could only find the 4 pin variant.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 19:28:00 »

Ohhh man, so we can pop them in and out? Looks like I'll have to buy some zealios or something  :eek:

Just keeps getting better.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline arcsay

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 19:38:14 »

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 19:44:21 »
Hi All,

realistically 16 days, you have to take out the last 9 days of Christmas & New Year

Offline Data

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 20:46:50 »
Hi All,

realistically 16 days, you have to take out the last 9 days of Christmas & New Year

Well they could launch the drop on 12/31 in the morning (it's a Saturday but stay with me) and run it for 2 weeks and it would probably still be a huge success.  They would still have technically got it out by the end of the year.  People will have post-Christmas money to spend.  It's unlikely but I wouldn't put it past them.  /shrug

Offline dante

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 18:37:53 »
After 6 years of buying and selling keyboards - literally carpeting one room in tracking receipts - I believe the K Type will be my end game.

I already have keycaps / o-rings / etc. ordered specifically for this board.

Offline Data

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 13:50:15 »
Hi All,

I'm guessing this didn't go quite as planned.  :-X

Offline dante

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 14:09:53 »
Check out this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/input-club-interview-mechanical-keyboards,33140.html

The K-type will be available early in 2017.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 19:54:29 »
Will their be a version that can use a stepped Caps Lock keycap

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline skuko

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 16:22:44 »
i'm very interested in this board, but i would appreciate if the lower "lip" of the case would be smaller. seems that the footprint of the board is unnecessarily large.

Offline dante

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 16:58:01 »
i'm very interested in this board, but i would appreciate if the lower "lip" of the case would be smaller. seems that the footprint of the board is unnecessarily large.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of chunky bezels.

Offline Data

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 23:08:28 »
The case is fine.  It's as trim as it possibly can be.

Offline Data

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 13:26:43 »
2017: Year of the K-Type  :cool:

Offline dante

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 09 January 2017, 13:31:17 »

Hopefully.  An update would be appreciated.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 08:13:22 »

I'm all ears! :eek:

Offline skuko

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 04:28:56 »
at this point, i think this board is vaporware :)

Offline dante

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 08:57:10 »
The case is fine.  It's as trim as it possibly can be.

I disagree.  Take a look at the Vortex Core and how svelt it is.

at this point, i think this board is vaporware :)

They said it would be out in early 2017 and it's not even February yet.