Author Topic: rubber wrist rest  (Read 4427 times)

Offline bigpook

rubber wrist rest
« on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 18:54:39 »
I ordered one of these here:

link

its actually very nice and the price is good too. I got it for the interim as the filco tenkeyless wrist rest isn't long enough.
I have the kensington slimblade which doesn't come with a wrist rest. After a week or so my wrist started to act up. I never had this problem with the expert mouse, but whatever.

the rubber one is about as high as the filco so it didn't take much for me to get used to it.

it seems to be a good height for me with the slimblade too.

ultimately, I need to get the longer filco model but this will do for now.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline rdjack21

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 21:46:04 »
Yea those cheap rubber ones are not too bad and as a bonus you can chop them up to size if you need to. But like you I prefer the Filco or the HHKB Pro 2 wood wrist rest over the rubber ones.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline hyperlinked

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 22:13:59 »
There's nothing wrong with a wrist rest or any rest so long as you don't get too reliant on it, but if your wrist acts up without a rest, then there might be something else out of ergonomic whack as well.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline bigpook

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 22:33:28 »
I try to observe correct ergonomics when I sit at my desk. I do spend a fair amount of time in front of a computer though, which could be part of the problem. A wrist rest is more comfortable for me, I don't think I could work without one.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline rdjack21

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 December 2009, 23:07:50 »
My ergonomics at my desk suck right now but I'm working on fixing that. But like bigpook I prefer to have a wrist rest just because I find it more comfortable even when I have all the ergonomics correct.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline PRISONER 24601

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 00:01:25 »
I really enjoy the gel-filled wristrests. For me, it's gotta be a dense gel with a cloth cover. Some of them have rubber covers and a tendancy to feel mushy, sticking to your wrist like a leather seat... disgusting. Some of the cheap ones will pop open over time, leaving gooze all over your desk. You don't want that. nobody wants that.

Foam is good, and there are plenty of advantages to using them: they're easy to clean, they never break, you can cut them down to size, stack them etc etc.

For some reason, I will now show you my wrist rests:

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline ironcoder

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 12:41:51 »
I had a few of those gel rests but not Belkin who I have an embargo against after having one of their routers.

I like the gel rests alot except for two things, they shave the hair off your wrists and make you look funny and the covers eventually pull off leaving goo everywhere. But they're cheap enough you can buy one every year and not worry about it.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 13:18:29 »
Yeah I didn't even think about what a gamer would do to one of those. Probably has a half-life of a week. Mine get much more gentle treatment. I have to say I'm really liking the Filco pad I bought. It's expensive but I don't notice it at all anymore and my wrists don't hurt. With the gel pads I always seemed to be aware of them.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline PRISONER 24601

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 16:55:17 »
My last gel wrest lasted a good two years before crapping out- guess i'm just lucky.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
rubber wrist rest
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 18:23:03 »
I just don't use a wrist rest. I've heard that wrists are supposed to be elevated when typing anyway.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ocdonkb

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 December 2009, 21:27:08 »
The problem I have with most wrist pads is that they're not high enough, and don't provide enough support. That my wrist is bent, even when resting on top of them.

Today I grabbed one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Imak-Keyboard-Cushion-Grey-Pack/dp/B001GAOHOI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1260674598&sr=8-10

The nice thing is that you can easily adjust the length, and how high the support is, by simply tieing a knot on one end, so as to shorten the "tube".

At work, I use what the OP posted, but I use two of them, one stacked on top of the other.
| Filco Brown 87 key | Realforce 87U | Unicomp Spacesaver | IBM Model M | Cherry ML4100 | Dell AT101W | Focus 2001 |

Offline water2

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 December 2009, 00:52:20 »
I use this banana shaped wrist rest.

With it, I can surf the Internet comfortably for long periods. And its unique banana design is attractive.
Great sites for geeks to find uncommon electronic gadgets:
www.engadget.com
www.techchee.com

Offline msiegel

rubber wrist rest
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 December 2009, 00:56:06 »
Quote from: water2;146097
unique banana design

:lol: i laughed, but it is pretty cool

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller