Author Topic: Split Planck the hardware way  (Read 8860 times)

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
Split Planck the hardware way
« on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 18:41:50 »
I have been working on this project for a little while now, and I have decided to post it here to get some help.
 The board consists of 2 handwired 6x4 matrices that were connected via ribbon wire. I cut the ribbon wire and soldered both ends to a usb type c breakout board. Here is where I am stumped. The only button that works on the right side was M and after looking at the pinouts closely I realize that it was probably because the matrix was connected over gnd and vcc on the wire.

UPDATE:

I got it working with usb 3.0 micro B!

This is what it looks like. The Cable I ordered had a continuity across ID and GND, so I needed to use the outside of the connector to get my tenth connection.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:59:48 by climbalima »

Offline regack

Re: Split Planck the hardware way
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:49:10 »
...after looking at the pinouts closely I realize that it was probably because the matrix was connected over gnd and vcc on the wire.

I think I know what you mean, but I'm not certain.  Looking at the first pic, it looks like you're using B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, B10, B11. 

B4 and B9 are both "vcc"... so one of those will have to move.  Right now it looks like your purple and orange wires are both connected together (both on vcc pins of the breakout)

B1 and B12 are both ground, so you can use one, but not both.  You could move the orange wire to B12 without issue, since there isn't anything on B1. 

That's about all I've got.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 19:50:58 »
...after looking at the pinouts closely I realize that it was probably because the matrix was connected over gnd and vcc on the wire.

I think I know what you mean, but I'm not certain.  Looking at the first pic, it looks like you're using B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, B10, B11. 

B4 and B9 are both "vcc"... so one of those will have to move.  Right now it looks like your purple and orange wires are both connected together (both on vcc pins of the breakout)

B1 and B12 are both ground, so you can use one, but not both.  You could move the orange wire to B12 without issue, since there isn't anything on B1. 

That's about all I've got.

Yeah thats what I did at first. It just typed a period whenever I plugged in the cable. I fixed that but no luck from any pin thats not gnd or vcc.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 20:20:11 »
OK we have progress! 6 keys are working now!  This means that pins besides gnd and vcc are working!

Offline Rhedone

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 04:30:19 »
Nice setup, what layout are you planning on using?

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 04:37:10 »
@climbalima: As a TypeMatrix user, I really like your idea !

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher, Kentucky USA
    • Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 07:09:19 »
Could this issue be related to the fact that USB type C is reversible? Are you being mindful of which side is up when connecting the sides? Or are you shorting top to bottom and only using 12 connections?

Also not familiar with the insulation you're using between columns and rows, have you checked for shorts?

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 09:05:59 »
There is continuity across the vcc gnd and legacy pins, but no keycode output. Strange.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 13:53:38 »
Nice setup, what layout are you planning on using?
A qwerty with the escape in the top left.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 14:15:52 »
Could this issue be related to the fact that USB type C is reversible? Are you being mindful of which side is up when connecting the sides? Or are you shorting top to bottom and only using 12 connections?

Also not familiar with the insulation you're using between columns and rows, have you checked for shorts?
I am looking into different types of wires. Including usb 3 type micro b and maybe even hdmi.

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:03:42 »
I am looking into different types of wires. Including usb 3 type micro b and maybe even hdmi.

I've spent a bit of effort looking into connectors and cables with some level of standardization. Having only 10 connections opens up a lot of connectors and cable standards. My AT101 Split56 is 11, and I was annoyed that many standards stopped at 10.

I was surprised to find the USB Type C you used, and immediately bought four breakout boards for it and a cable for testing. With 12 above and 12 below, I could short across the breakout boards, and make the connection reversible as intended.

The USB type c seems like a great candidate, the only shortcoming being that it will become a standard connector on PCs/laptops, and runs the risk of someone plugging one of the halves directly into their workstation and frying something. But that's PEBKAC, soooo... I'm hoping the cable is robust enough for the amount of cables inside to maintain integrity. Since it's an external and portable cable, I'm hoping it will be. Other standard USB cables generally lead from one type to another, but C is (somewhat) commonly available same type both sides.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:39:36 »

actually in my tests it I have found it to be 10 above and 6 below because all the gnd and vcc pins are connected.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 16:42:32 by climbalima »

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 18:55:32 »
Small update. I have decided to switch from usb type c to usb 3.0 micro b. I was able to get an earlier prototype working with a stripped micro b wire, I was able to find a micro b to micro b wire deep in aliexpress. Hopefully my next update will bring good news!

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 10:30:50 »
Small update. I have decided to switch from usb type c to usb 3.0 micro b.

I think I figured out your USB type C problems. After messing around with my own breakout boards and cable, I found the cable itself connects multiple pins to each other (using four pins for ground, and four for Vcc), and "rolls" the connection from one pin to another depending on the cable's orientation.

A2 on one end doesn't go to A2 on the other. It goes to A11. Or if you roll the cable, B11. From it picture (if color is meant to match) it looks like you've got a lot of X:X connections.

There are two pins which (depending on orientation) are 1:1 matches, but the rest go elsewhere and need to be tested for.

After mapping things out, I found in one orientation I could get 11 connections, which meets my requirements, but leaves the cable non-reversible. Also, flipping it the other way seems to only give me 10 connections, as CC1 doesn't seem to connect to itself somehow...?

Hope this helps anyone else considering multi-pinned connectors for hardware connections.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 14:19:07 »
Small update. I have decided to switch from usb type c to usb 3.0 micro b.

I think I figured out your USB type C problems. After messing around with my own breakout boards and cable, I found the cable itself connects multiple pins to each other (using four pins for ground, and four for Vcc), and "rolls" the connection from one pin to another depending on the cable's orientation.

A2 on one end doesn't go to A2 on the other. It goes to A11. Or if you roll the cable, B11. From it picture (if color is meant to match) it looks like you've got a lot of X:X connections.

There are two pins which (depending on orientation) are 1:1 matches, but the rest go elsewhere and need to be tested for.

After mapping things out, I found in one orientation I could get 11 connections, which meets my requirements, but leaves the cable non-reversible. Also, flipping it the other way seems to only give me 10 connections, as CC1 doesn't seem to connect to itself somehow...?

Hope this helps anyone else considering multi-pinned connectors for hardware connections.
So after trying the same pins you did. I still have no continuity. May i ask for a link to your breakout board?

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 14:44:13 »
So after trying the same pins you did. I still have no continuity. May i ask for a link to your breakout board?

I used the same breakout board from Saiko Systems, but things get weird if they're flipped.

Here's what I got:

Left side vs Right side:
A12,B1,B12,A1 = Same pins
A2 = A11
A3 = A10
B11 = B2
B10 = B3
B9,A4 = A9,B4
A5 = B5
B8 = same
A8 = same
A6 = B6
A7 = B7

If these do not work (B8 = B8 is a good test) then flip ONE side of the cable and plug it back in, and test again.

Once you get continuity, you'll need to mark the "top" side of each side of the cable so you plug it back in consistently, as the USB Type C is reversible.

I've yet to figure out a way to add orientation to the cable and plug without damaging the connections.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 15:18:46 »
I have continuity over 5
The gnd and vcc ones and
b5 to b5
b6 to b6
b7 to b7
B8 to B8 does not have continuity for me.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 16:09:34 »

I used the same breakout board from Saiko Systems, but things get weird if they're flipped.

Here's what I got:

Left side vs Right side:
A12,B1,B12,A1 = Same pins
A2 = A11
A3 = A10
B11 = B2
B10 = B3
B9,A4 = A9,B4
A5 = B5
B8 = same
A8 = same
A6 = B6
A7 = B7

If these do not work (B8 = B8 is a good test) then flip ONE side of the cable and plug it back in, and test again.

Once you get continuity, you'll need to mark the "top" side of each side of the cable so you plug it back in consistently, as the USB Type C is reversible.

I've yet to figure out a way to add orientation to the cable and plug without damaging the connections.
I redid all the wiring and am not getting continuity over a8 or b8 for both sides

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 16:15:30 »
I am getting continuity from A6 to B7 and B6 to A7 though.

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 06:32:06 »
I am getting continuity from A6 to B7 and B6 to A7 though.

Wat.

That's not even on my notes for continuity when the cable was flipped. I know this is going to sound weird, but can you flip that side back and then flip the other side? I know it shouldn't make a difference, but I DID run into that issue where CC1 didn't connect at all with the cable in one orientation. Try flipping stuff until A8 goes to A8?

You should probably test continuity with a multimeter before soldering, that's how I mapped everything out. Did you order a USB 2.0 cable rather than a 3.0 (is that possible?) I know some pins/wires are not in different cables.

Remember to pay attention to the left vs the right sides. You have to match all the left connections on one breakout board, and all the right ones on the other. If you mix and match it's easy to get confused. I know I did. B11 = B2, so touch B2 on the left, and B11 on the right and it doesn't work.

Here's some proof I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase:

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 13:31:19 »
for diy the reversibility is more of a hindrance than a feature!

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:56:48 »
Any progress? I've been holding back because I haven't been able to commit to installing the USB Type C board anywhere.

I made a fake planck http://imgur.com/a/Yp8EL and am getting very interested in the matrix layout, and instantly wanted to split it, as you've done.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 16:06:04 »
Any progress? I've been holding back because I haven't been able to commit to installing the USB Type C board anywhere.

I made a fake planck http://imgur.com/a/Yp8EL and am getting very interested in the matrix layout, and instantly wanted to split it, as you've done.

I recieved my breakout bopards and was able to solder a cable to it and get continuity. Still waiting on a cable though.

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:00:28 »
Got it working!

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 05:20:44 »
Awesome! I saw the album update and it looks great!

Now to work on mine...  :-X

Offline wolfv

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 18:46:54 »
Hi climbalima and FletchINKy,

Glad to see you got the connection working.
I am deciding how to connect two hardwired 5x4 matrices: USB 3.0, 3.1, or Type-C?
Can you recomend which USB standard would be best, or recomend a specific breakout board and cable?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 September 2017, 04:01:21 by wolfv »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 04 September 2017, 23:58:51 »
Hi climbalima and FletchINKy,

Glad to see you got the connection working.
I am deciding how to connect two handwired 5x4 matrices: USB 3.0, 3.1, or Type-C?
Can you recomend which USB standard would be best, or recomend a specific breakout board and cable?

Thanks.

They aren't using USB for the electrical connection, only for the physical one. That is to say: they are routing the matrix signals over the typeC cable because it has a lot of connections and is easy to get. So make your evaluation based on number of pins available. 3.0 & 3.1 both have 9 pins, and typeC has 12 on each side for a total of 24. Make sure you dont flip it by mistake.

Offline wolfv

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 09:56:03 »
Thanks dorkvader  :thumb:

I went with USB 3.0 type A male-to-male cable.
For jacks, cut USB 3.0 type A female off cable extensions, glue jack to mount plate, and solder wires to matrix.