Author Topic: My 65+5% Hand Wired Keyboard with RGB key caps...almost  (Read 2793 times)

Offline DavidNZ

My 65+5% Hand Wired Keyboard with RGB key caps...almost
« on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 12:23:32 »

I created and hand wired what I call a 65+5% keyboard layout, which is a layout similar to the White Fox but allows for an extra column of keys on the left hand side. The benefit of this is that I can have both Esc and the Tilde key, plus 4 macro keys. I also added a strip of WS2812B LEDS under each row that allows me to assign LEDs to specific keys to simulate RGB keyboards. I don't really use the lights that often but it was a fun little extra to add, and to also modify the QMK firmware to allow for it.

I have more info, photos and videos here: https://medium.com/@DavidNZ/hand-wired-custom-keyboard-cdd14429c7b3#.7a1ovebsk

I'm also curious if this layout has been manufactured before?

Offline climbalima

• likes building stuff
Re: My 65+5% Hand Wired Keyboard with RGB key caps...almost
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 14:02:55 »
Show Image

I created and hand wired what I call a 65+5% keyboard layout, which is a layout similar to the White Fox but allows for an extra column of keys on the left hand side. The benefit of this is that I can have both Esc and the Tilde key, plus 4 macro keys. I also added a strip of WS2812B LEDS under each row that allows me to assign LEDs to specific keys to simulate RGB keyboards. I don't really use the lights that often but it was a fun little extra to add, and to also modify the QMK firmware to allow for it.

I have more info, photos and videos here: https://medium.com/@DavidNZ/hand-wired-custom-keyboard-cdd14429c7b3#.7a1ovebsk

I'm also curious if this layout has been manufactured before?
There is a redscarf that is similar.

Offline DavidNZ

Re: My 65+5% Hand Wired Keyboard with RGB key caps...almost
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 14:48:25 »
I have seen that one, it has two columns of keys on the left. I liked it but didn't want a gap between them and the main key set.