Author Topic: Hi from Holland (and Tasmania)  (Read 2676 times)

Offline FearTheTaswegian

Hi from Holland (and Tasmania)
« on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 06:53:34 »
From Australia, living in Holland.
Currently geeking on TextBlade with Colemak

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Hi from Holland (and Tasmania)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 07:03:57 »
woa

my mum is Dutch and my dad is from Tasmania, spooky

welcome

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 08:50:20 »
Hi, welcome :)

That keyboard looks like a foldable Hershey's bar! I think it looks pretty cool. I was going to ask you what switches do you have on it but.. hmmm, what is next-gen keyswitch technology? Giant scissor switches?
Chris Schammert

Offline FearTheTaswegian

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 11:30:37 »
woa

my mum is Dutch and my dad is from Tasmania, spooky

welcome

Unusual combo for sure.  :cool:

Cheers!

Offline FearTheTaswegian

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 12:47:04 »

That keyboard looks like a foldable Hershey's bar! I think it looks pretty cool. I was going to ask you what switches do you have on it but.. hmmm, what is next-gen keyswitch technology? Giant scissor switches?

About the same weight as a Hershey's bar too!  :thumb:

Switches are magic pixie capacitive sensing & springs are voodoo magnet latches, it's a whole new genre. Key caps are suspended on big ass butterflys.  Lovely action, highly configurable with custom maps, macros etc right there in the keyboard.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 12:52:55 »
Hey welcome to geekhack!
Fellow dutchy here, from Poland tho :P

We are having a meetup somewhere end of the month, should be thread around here somewhere!
If you wanna join let Jorisboers know :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:14:46 »

About the same weight as a Hershey's bar too!  :thumb:

Switches are magic pixie capacitive sensing & springs are voodoo magnet latches, it's a whole new genre. Key caps are suspended on big ass butterflys.  Lovely action, highly configurable with custom maps, macros etc right there in the keyboard.
Hehe, I'm not sure I follow all of that. Have you spent some time looking at mechanical keyboards?
Chris Schammert

Offline FearTheTaswegian

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 02:47:52 »
Yeah I guess I did make that a bit impenetrable :confused:

The switches question is an interesting one when it comes to this keyboard - it doesn't have any!  At least not in the conventional sense, there are literally no electrical contacts like normal switches.  Instead it has a grid of capacitive sensors in the base so it can look through the key caps and 'see' where your fingers are . That's how it can function with only 4 big buttons on each hand.

There are no springs either, the keys action is driven by magnets. Gives it a very nice buttery smooth action and the way the magnets latch has a hint of IBM Model M buckling spring feel to it.

When you say 'hmmm, what is next-gen keyswitch tech',  this is it right here.  ;D

I do like a good mechanical though, my last was a CM Quickfire Rapid with MX Browns and small O-rings, basically about as much 'mech' as I can get away with in a quiet workplace.

Strangely I'm actually using this little portable keyboard as my main desktop keyboard now. I like it that much.

Offline FearTheTaswegian

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 04:13:10 »
Hey welcome to geekhack!
Fellow dutchy here, from Poland tho :P

We are having a meetup somewhere end of the month, should be thread around here somewhere!
If you wanna join let Jorisboers know :)

Noted, and may do. Where is that likely to happen? I'm in Tilburg.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 04:14:27 »
Eindhoven I think

Offline FearTheTaswegian

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 05:33:28 »
Cool, super easy for me then

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:01:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Any plans to return to Australia?

Interesting keyboard that ... radical tech indeed!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:30:01 »
When I see your posts I think to myself: "Self, this person appears to be the HHKB2 type."
Chris Schammert

Offline FearTheTaswegian

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 05:15:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It was always the planned end-game but apparently my predictions shouldn't be trusted on this. At first work offered to relocate me to the UK for 2 years, stayed 3 and then instead of moving home they offered to relocate me to Holland for 2 years. Stayed 11 and counting...

Fair chance I'll end up in Melbourne as that where most friends went and I like the place. Really enjoy things here though, there is so much amazing stuff that is so easy to get to from where I am, I'd really miss it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:57:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It was always the planned end-game but apparently my predictions shouldn't be trusted on this. At first work offered to relocate me to the UK for 2 years, stayed 3 and then instead of moving home they offered to relocate me to Holland for 2 years. Stayed 11 and counting...

Fair chance I'll end up in Melbourne as that where most friends went and I like the place. Really enjoy things here though, there is so much amazing stuff that is so easy to get to from where I am, I'd really miss it.

That's a long time!

Yeah, it can be difficult getting things down here, especially now shipping costs from the US have increased considerably.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ