Author Topic: Sneaking off the DT compound to have some fun with the GeekHackers  (Read 5151 times)

Offline Scarpia

Hi good people of the Geek persuasion. I am Scarpia, a Scandinavian software dev and fellow keyboard enthusiast.

I've mostly been nerding keyboards over on Deskthority, but I figured why limit myself to one forum? Should I limit myself to one keyboard too? One switch? Heresy!  :))

I use a 55g Topre-clone TKL from RoyalKludge as my daily driver, I love the dull Topre thock but I secretly lust for amber Omrons. I own a Model M SSK DisplayWriter (P/N 1392464) and I am collecting interesting switches for a switch tester tour sometime in 2016.

So here I am, good to meet you all.

/Scarpia
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 April 2016, 04:42:22 by Scarpia »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Sneaking off the DT compound to have some fun with the GeekHackers
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 05:42:42 »
Oooo I like your taste in switches. Omrons are pretty fun and I love Displaywriters. Hopefully you can find some Marquardt Butterfly switches for your tour! Welcome to GH

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 05:45:46 »
Hi good people of the Geek persuasion. I am Scarpia, a Scandinavian software dev and fellow keyboard enthusiast.

I've mostly been nerding keyboards over on Deskthority, but I figured why limit myself to one forum? Should I limit myself to one keyboard too? One switch? Heresy!  :))

I use a 55g Topre-clone TKL from RoyalKludge as my daily driver, I love the dull Topre thock but I secretly lust for amber Omrons. I own a Model M SSK DisplayWriter (P/N 1392464) and I am collecting interesting switches for a switch tester tour sometime in 2016.

So here I am, good to meet you all.

/Scarpia

Go Sweden!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 06:02:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

An interesting and unusual selection of switches - have you got an overall favourite switch (or would that be the amber Omrons)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Scarpia

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:09:10 »
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

My favorite switch so far would be original Topre 55g, although I must admit I've only tried them in a keychain tester. The Topre clones in my RoyalKludge board are lovely though, and I'm happy to stick with them until the day Topre lowers their prices  ^-^

Buckling spring
While I love the build quality, styling and retro charm of vintage IBM boards, I am actually not such a huge fan of buckling spring switches; maybe it's the pingy sound, maybe it's the travel, or maybe it's just that I've never learned to touch-type. And sound-wise, I would take blue Alps or amber Omrons over buckling springs any day.

Clicky
For clickies, like I said, it's Omron or blue Alps (and that includes several of the clones) all the way for me. None of the clicky Cherry MX switches I've tested feel as smooth or sound as good as the Alps mount ones.

Still, this is mostly speculative, since I haven't yet had the chance to use amber Omrons (or blue Alps, for that matter) in a full keyboard, so I don't know if I could live with them. And I'm positive that neither my girlfriend nor my coworkers would approve.

Linear
Linear switches in my mind should be buttery smooth, on the heavy side, and preferably fitted with big, bold keycaps. I could really go for that. Light and linear is not an option.

Tactile
Before I got the chance to play around with a bunch of different switches, I thought I'd love Cherry MX browns. The idea of a solid mechanical tactile switch with a good 'bite' to it sounded exactly right to me. So I was surprised to find that I hated every single 'brown' switch I tried. They feel wobbly, messy, like they have multiple poorly-defined tactile 'steps' instead of a single, unmistakable one -- a 'clickless click' was what I wanted, and the browns were not it.

I still haven't found exactly what I want in a tactile switch, but the Topres may be as close as I'll get.

Offline Scarpia

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:17:56 »
FWIW, here's my daily driver:

And as for my switch 'tour bag', here's what I have accumulated so far (full list of switches):

(the 'keypad' on the left holds 24 MX variants -- 8 flavors of Cherry, and 4 of each of Gateron, Kailh, Noppoo, and Greetech)
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:26:31 by Scarpia »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:58:34 »

Show Image

And as for my switch 'tour bag', here's what I have accumulated so far (full list of switches):

Show Image

(the 'keypad' on the left holds 24 MX variants -- 8 flavors of Cherry, and 4 of each of Gateron, Kailh, Noppoo, and Greetech)

Oh cool, I guess the RK tkl topre clone has a standard layout :) Welcome
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:50:29 »

Show Image

Show Image

Ah, DSA Dolch.  I've been tempted by that set far too many times :))

Do I seen an NEC blue oval switch in there?  An interesting switch, used to be one of my favourites.

You've still got a little way to go with your switch collection though ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 00:56:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

I love your switch "tour bag" idea actually. I might want to try something similar one day.

Hope you enjoy your stay :3

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:01:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

I love your switch "tour bag" idea actually. I might want to try something similar one day.

Hope you enjoy your stay :3

DT used to have something like this - a switch sampler pack with a couple of dozen switches in it.

Offline Scarpia

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 04:53:02 »

Do I seen an NEC blue oval switch in there?  An interesting switch, used to be one of my favourites.

Yes, the DSA Dolch is one of my all-time favorites; I am tempted to get the Alps mount DCS Dolch on MD right now, to Dolch up some lucky Alps board.

And yes, that's an NEC blue oval switch ;) got it from Orihalcon along with a bunch of the more interesting ones. And you're right that there's a long way to go to match Chyros' collection, but luckily that was never the intention.

As for my switch tour bag, I am still looking for a half dozen specific switches before I'm ready to start my tour. I've posted a Call For Switches over on DT (the thread I linked above) and I've gotten a lot of help from the community.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:04:46 »

Yes, the DSA Dolch is one of my all-time favorites; I am tempted to get the Alps mount DCS Dolch on MD right now, to Dolch up some lucky Alps board.

And yes, that's an NEC blue oval switch ;) got it from Orihalcon along with a bunch of the more interesting ones. And you're right that there's a long way to go to match Chyros' collection, but luckily that was never the intention.

As for my switch tour bag, I am still looking for a half dozen specific switches before I'm ready to start my tour. I've posted a Call For Switches over on DT (the thread I linked above) and I've gotten a lot of help from the community.

Is that SP DCS Alps Dolch?

Or Tai Hao OEM Alps Dolch?

I got a Tai Hao OEM Alps Dolch set from Massdrop a while back.

Silly, really, as I don't have an Alps keyboard :))

Offline Scarpia

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:10:26 »
DT used to have something like this - a switch sampler pack with a couple of dozen switches in it.

Sure, there's a bunch of MrInterface bags of course, some of which have been on tour before; and the Switch Try Numpad v2 (which has Alps, Cherries and some ghetto variants in a working numpad; however, neither has been circulating since 2014.

Then there's the still-going SurpriseBox, which I believe contains a bag of switches, although I don't know which and I'm not sure they're accepting any more signups since the box has grown almost too heavy for shipping by now.

Either way, this bag contains >60 different switches, which is quite a few more than previous tours, including all three Topres and a lot of clone brands.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 06:20:48 »

Sure, there's a bunch of MrInterface bags of course, some of which have been on tour before; and the Switch Try Numpad v2 (which has Alps, Cherries and some ghetto variants in a working numpad; however, neither has been circulating since 2014.

Then there's the still-going SurpriseBox, which I believe contains a bag of switches, although I don't know which and I'm not sure they're accepting any more signups since the box has grown almost too heavy for shipping by now.

Either way, this bag contains >60 different switches, which is quite a few more than previous tours, including all three Topres and a lot of clone brands.

MrInterface - that's what I was trying to think of!

Offline Scarpia

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 07:43:15 »

The Massdrop is for Tai Hao doubleshots - and you're right, they are OEM profile, not DCS. I'd probably take the Tai Haos over the SPs, simply a matter of price though.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 08:14:57 »

The Massdrop is for Tai Hao doubleshots - and you're right, they are OEM profile, not DCS. I'd probably take the Tai Haos over the SPs, simply a matter of price though.

Keep in mind that Tai Hao sets have a 'Nano Antibiosis' or anti-bacterial coating on them that becomes sticky when it starts to wear off the keys :thumb: There are a few guides available to remove the stuff if it becomes an issue though
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 05:33:38 »

Keep in mind that Tai Hao sets have a 'Nano Antibiosis' or anti-bacterial coating on them that becomes sticky when it starts to wear off the keys :thumb: There are a few guides available to remove the stuff if it becomes an issue though

SOME Tai Hao PBT sets have that costing.

Massdrop usually indicates fairly clearly when a set does not include the costing.

Actually Tai Hao sets re not too bad.  Cheap, yes.  Thin, yes.  But the colours are good, the legends are consistent.  They are doubleshot.  They do fit a standard ANSI keyboard.

I got in on the original Tai Hao GB when the sets started at $9.  Things have changed a bit sine then :))

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 06:48:47 »

Massdrop usually indicates fairly clearly when a set does not include the costing.

Actually Tai Hao sets re not too bad.  Cheap, yes.  Thin, yes.  But the colours are good, the legends are consistent.  They are doubleshot.  They do fit a standard ANSI keyboard.

I got in on the original Tai Hao GB when the sets started at $9.  Things have changed a bit sine then :))

Was the set any of the color schemes that Tai Hao produces at the moment?
Chris Schammert

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 22:14:45 »
Hi Scarpia!

I had an amber Omron board once...it was fun to use.

You need real Topre though.  :thumb:

Offline Scarpia

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 02:49:01 »
You need real Topre though.  :thumb:

I know.. but the prices  :eek:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 04:21:33 »
Welcome Scarpia!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 06:03:58 »

I have no idea what Tai Hao are producing at the moment.

The ABS ones seem to exclude the coating - at least I have not heard of an ABS set with the coating.

The PBT sets all had the coating, but people were whinging and Massdrop asked for a set or two without the coating - something like that - and got it.

I'm not sure if the orange/black set I got from Massdrop a while back has the coating, but comparing the feel with that of other PBT sets I have I would say that it does.  I don't rotate that set in all that often (too many other sets), so nothing has worn off yet.

But it looks absolutely dreadful when it does start to wear.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 07:11:49 »

I have no idea what Tai Hao are producing at the moment.

The ABS ones seem to exclude the coating - at least I have not heard of an ABS set with the coating.

The PBT sets all had the coating, but people were whinging and Massdrop asked for a set or two without the coating - something like that - and got it.

I'm not sure if the orange/black set I got from Massdrop a while back has the coating, but comparing the feel with that of other PBT sets I have I would say that it does.  I don't rotate that set in all that often (too many other sets), so nothing has worn off yet.

But it looks absolutely dreadful when it does start to wear.

Ah, I've seen new sets of orange and black set in a few marketplaces. Come to think of it, I have seen a few on Amazon labeled: "Without Antibiosis Coating" 
Chris Schammert

Offline Scarpia

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 09:11:37 »
Go Sweden!

Go Sweden indeed. But even more so, Go Denmark! ...where I'm originally from ;D

Welcome Scarpia!

Oh hey Photekq! Nice to see a familiar face (name) over here :)