Author Topic: [GB] 75% Skeleton Keyboard  (Read 118017 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [GB] 75% Skeleton Keyboard (14/23 Shipped)
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 12:58:35 »
koriolis and pooogles orders have been dropped off at the post office, you should have yours by 1pm thursday pooogles. I'll update the spreadsheet with tracking numbers in a bit.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #401 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 10:56:55 »
Got my kit today, Box took a smack, but everything is good! Thanks xondat!

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 11:04:15 »
Got my kit today, Box took a smack, but everything is good! Thanks xondat!

Lucky! Mine is still in Chicago.

Offline itsaferbie

« Reply #403 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 19:01:32 »
Mine came in on the 12th. And I finally got enough time to get the diodes soldered.

Offline RSSonic92

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 15:57:43 »
I'd like an update please, xondat :)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 07:34:14 »
Sent out an email to the remaining 5 that have yet to get back to me about their address hoping that they can confirm it.

Regarding soldering, I haven't had much free time recently so it's hard to say anything and putting trust in that, sorry.

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #406 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 00:09:25 »
Quick update on middle acrylic layer:

First my 2 cents on initial impressions:
I finally got my package after an extremely long hold at customs. My package was really banged up and opened with the end flap just tucked in. Very surprised i didnt lose anything. While the plate was bubble wrapped together nicely, there was no other cushioning in my package which allowed the plate and switches to tumble freely in the package. (Xonat: Please tape all your seams and use adequate packaging fill so the innards cannot roll around on your next shipments, especially international). There are also quite a few scratches on the plate which kinda sucks but im guessing this is mostly from handling after the manufacturing process. The plate is a little too thick (about 1.75mm) so that the switches dont actually snap in, but they do fit very snugly so not all bad.

Acrylic piece:
http://imgur.com/a/zOQD0
I cut this piece out before i got the plate and it doesnt fit perfectly. The holes line up but the hardware supplied with the kit will not work unless i make them hex shape holes but this may require making the acrylic boundary wider than the plates so that there is acrylic visible on all 4 sides from a top view. This may actually add a bit more dimension to the case and especially if you plan to use led's will add a nice effect. I also test sanded it a little and turned out pretty good. There are a few burrs on it still which will require a little more elbow grease but i think i can reduce that by doing 2 passes on the laser cutter rather than in one pass. It's a little short on the sides so ill need to modify the boundary a little. For the opening of the connector I think it will look and function better if i taper the opening with a rounded edge or flat angle. If you have an opinion please let me know. Hoping to get to the shop this week to test another piece but may not get to it til next week. Just a few minor tweaks to get it right so should be able to start the order process in 2 weeks. Due to limited color selections of 1/2" acrylic at my local supplier i will only be doing clear unless anyone can recommend a good supplier.

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
« Reply #407 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 20:41:40 »
I cut this piece out before i got the plate and it doesnt fit perfectly. The holes line up but the hardware supplied with the kit will not work unless i make them hex shape holes but this may require making the acrylic boundary wider than the plates so that there is acrylic visible on all 4 sides from a top view. This may actually add a bit more dimension to the case and especially if you plan to use led's will add a nice effect. I also test sanded it a little and turned out pretty good. There are a few burrs on it still which will require a little more elbow grease but i think i can reduce that by doing 2 passes on the laser cutter rather than in one pass. It's a little short on the sides so ill need to modify the boundary a little. For the opening of the connector I think it will look and function better if i taper the opening with a rounded edge or flat angle. If you have an opinion please let me know. Hoping to get to the shop this week to test another piece but may not get to it til next week. Just a few minor tweaks to get it right so should be able to start the order process in 2 weeks. Due to limited color selections of 1/2" acrylic at my local supplier i will only be doing clear unless anyone can recommend a good supplier.

Have you tried using different mounting hardware on it? Like, is there a circular standoff that can be used in place of the hexagonal standoffs used? I'd personally prefer the spacer to be flush with the rest of the board. I don't have the board on me so I can't test it myself but maybe your local hardware store supplies something that could be used instead of the hex standoffs used.

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #408 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 06:34:14 »
Flat angle for the connector and maybe a mm or two wider than the plates for the spacer but I'd still buy if it were flush and round. Looks good!

Offline diiiP

« Reply #409 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 07:30:48 »
Regarding soldering, I haven't had much free time recently so it's hard to say anything and putting trust in that, sorry.

As long as you don't forget us completely its all good   :rolleyes:

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #410 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 21:52:38 »
Acrylic Layer Update:

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/R9GGI

Order Form: https://goo.gl/forms/toVUjnUvFDY8GtnR2

So i finally made it to the shop to cut the new revision. I cut the holes so that it will fit the existing hardware you got with your kit. This requires the middle piece to be widened a little bit so that it sticks out past the edge of the plates. I can't achieve a nice smooth cut due to the thickness of the piece. It starts to "burr" about 3/4 through the cut so this will require you to sand a bit more to work the edges out. As you can see in my pics i haven't completely worked them out yet and that was about 45 minutes of sanding to get to that point and i havent started to sand the inside yet so im not sure how it will look with the lighting as i have not soldered my board together. Pricing will be about $20 and i have to figure out shipping costs which is TBD. I will keep the form open until November 28th and look to send invoices out on November 30th. I will place the order for the new acrylic pieces on the 5th of December so any unpaid invoices will be cancelled at that point. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
« Reply #411 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 08:51:36 »
Wow, you really overstated the extra thickness added! It looks great! In for one  :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 17:40:27 »
Just a quick update to let people still waiting that this will be wrapped up soon.
  • deagle, mechmind, priusproblems - Your orders should be sent by the 4th.
  • rrsonic92, diiip, feeder, razman786 - Your orders should be sent by the 11th.
  • phenix - Your order should be sent by the 18th.
  • tome - I'll email you again and try and confirm all the details.
I'm learning to drive starting on the 6th for several hours a day, having a break over the weekend, and my test will be on the 14th so I won't have much downtime and I'll be pretty exhausted. My friend has been soldering diodes for the people waiting on that, and he should be done by the end of the week. I'm sorry life got in the way and this keeps getting dragged on. I want to have a blank slate going into next year, if this means refunding (if you want), then that can happen.

Offline RSSonic92

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 17:06:06 »
Are the orders listed under 1. out yet? I am eager for progress or rather I can't wait until it's my turn :)

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 10:05:52 »
Just a quick update to let people still waiting that this will be wrapped up soon.
  • deagle, mechmind, priusproblems - Your orders should be sent by the 4th.
  • rrsonic92, diiip, feeder, razman786 - Your orders should be sent by the 11th.
  • phenix - Your order should be sent by the 18th.
  • tome - I'll email you again and try and confirm all the details.
I'm learning to drive starting on the 6th for several hours a day, having a break over the weekend, and my test will be on the 14th so I won't have much downtime and I'll be pretty exhausted. My friend has been soldering diodes for the people waiting on that, and he should be done by the end of the week. I'm sorry life got in the way and this keeps getting dragged on. I want to have a blank slate going into next year, if this means refunding (if you want), then that can happen.

Thanks for the update, just logged on now to ask you what was happening with mine. Well aware that I disappeared for a month, but I was quite happy with not having the board before now anyway. Just to confirm, mine is shipping assembled, and has already been sent out?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #415 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 12:19:08 »
I just got the soldered boards back for group 2. The 1st and 2nd groups will go out ASAP, I haven't had time to do much, but I'm aiming for Sunday. As mentioned before, I might not have time as I'll be buying a car probably, but in that case it'll be easy to get them out as soon as they're packed, rather than waiting on a lift.

Offline RSSonic92

« Reply #416 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 13:09:32 »
Nice, thanks for the update, xondat!

Offline Phenix

« Reply #417 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 13:31:31 »
Great, thanks for the update
Winter is coming.

Offline diiiP

« Reply #418 on: Tue, 13 December 2016, 01:00:18 »
Thanks for the Update!
Looking forward to my Christmas gift :D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #419 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:45:03 »
I have a car now. Woo.

Packing tonight and tomorrow, will drop them off at the PO tomorrow as only have 1 thing planned for tomorrow. This will be for everyone apart from phenix, as I need to solder the switches in for you.

Hope everyone is having a nice Christmas season so far.

Offline Phenix

Re: [GB] 75% Skeleton Keyboard (14/23 Shipped, 8 Shipping Tomorrow)
« Reply #420 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 14:56:21 »
Thats great, xondat!
Congrats on the car!
Winter is coming.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #421 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 17:00:51 »

That's everyone's packages all ready to go in the car and to the PO tomorrow. Should be leaving mine around 1 tomorrow, picking my girlfriend up at 2 so I'll add tracking to the spreadsheet when I get home (either be around 3 or 6, depending on my girlfriends plans).

Offline Phenix

« Reply #422 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 17:10:52 »
My layout is ISO enter, dont know if i soecified that
Winter is coming.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [GB] 75% Skeleton Keyboard (22/23 Shipped)
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 12:04:52 »
Hi all, just got in. I shipped 8 today around 2PM, which leaves Phenix's to be shipped by the end of the year. I'm going to get something to eat and afterwards I'll add the tracking onto the spreadsheet.

Edit: All tracking added.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 12:22:49 by xondat »

Offline RSSonic92

« Reply #424 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 15:45:55 »
This is great, thank you!
I am looking forward to receiving my order :D

Offline deagle

« Reply #425 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 14:32:47 »
Tracking shows in transit to destination! Should be here in a day or two. I'll post feedback once I receive the parts and assemble the keyboard.

Thanks for making this happen!

Offline RSSonic92

« Reply #426 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 18:44:37 »
It arrived at my place. I can't wait until I have time and the acrylic layer so I can put it together.
Thank you so much, xondat, my dream keyboard is a big step closer! Too bad, you had to pay more than anticipated for this group buy.

Offline deagle

« Reply #427 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 21:50:05 »
I just assembled it, everything went smoothly and all the keys work.

*CAUTION: Do not lose the diodes, I had only one left*

Where can I find the firmware file? Winkeyless site is very difficult to navigate, I managed to find the configuration utility but the firmware eludes me.

Offline PriusProblems

• No ISO, no interest.
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 04:02:07 »
Just wanted to ask the people in this thread how common the imperfections in the attached photos are. All the photos of other peoples boards seem to show them as virtually scratch-free, but mine seems rather ragged, especially in two places. Thanks!

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #429 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 08:03:41 »
i have a couple scratches on mine as well, along with a few parts of the plate having some large burr's on the sides that needed filing off

Offline deagle

« Reply #430 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 14:35:43 »
I have a few scratches in the top left corner and the middle of the plate. Also had to sand the edges.

I'd like to get shorter spacers to get the plates closer together, do you guys know what the thread specs are?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [GB] 75% Skeleton Keyboard (22.5/23 Shipped)
« Reply #431 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 09:49:50 »
Just keeping the thread up to date - Phenix's board has been shipped to a friend that's going to build it and send it back by Friday (he should receive Wednesday), and I'll relabel and send it to him the same day.

Regarding the scratches, they're common as the plates are unfinished.

The spacers are these, you could probably step it down to 10mm if you wanted but I found 12mm to be the nicest.

Offline RSSonic92

Re: [GB] 75% Skeleton Keyboard (Shipping Complete)
« Reply #432 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:03:14 »
Maybe this becomes obvious once I assemble but I wanted to ask if I have to put the stabilizers first before soldering the corresponding switch bottoms.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #433 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:43:44 »
Maybe this becomes obvious once I assemble but I wanted to ask if I have to put the stabilizers first before soldering the corresponding switch bottoms.
Yeah, stabilizers before any switches get soldered in otherwise you'll have to desolder.

Offline RSSonic92

« Reply #434 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:18:08 »
I am having my problems connecting the switch tops to the switch bottoms through the thick plate.
Is there a trick besides filing down the plate or the clutches?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #435 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:20:50 »
I am having my problems connecting the switch tops to the switch bottoms through the thick plate.
Not sure what you mean - can you PM me a video showing what's happening? I never had any problems on mine regarding switch opening.

Offline joey

« Reply #436 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:25:56 »

The bottom AND top of the switch are pressed into the plate. The plate does not sit between two halves of the switch.

Offline RSSonic92

« Reply #437 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:46:38 »

The bottom AND top of the switch are pressed into the plate. The plate does not sit between two halves of the switch.

Well ****...

Thanks, now I know a lot more :D

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #438 on: Wed, 25 January 2017, 23:17:20 »
I finally got to sanding my acrylic layer and the rest of the board soldered together.

Offline Phenix

Re: [GB] 75% Skeleton Keyboard (Complete)
« Reply #439 on: Sun, 05 February 2017, 12:52:46 »
Here is an pic of the 75% which was assembled by xondat/bunny.
Really thanks for, an joy to type on.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 February 2017, 13:05:51 by Phenix »
Winter is coming.

Offline pitfermi

« Reply #440 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 07:28:50 »
where can i buy these epic grey/blue keycaps?!  :O i'm located in Germany

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #441 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 07:45:24 »

They're GMK Sky Dolch, try mechmarket or classified.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #442 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:21:41 »

They are Hyperfuse, not Skydolch..
Like said, r/mm, classifieds, or from me  ;)
Winter is coming.

Offline pitfermi

« Reply #443 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:28:31 »

They are Hyperfuse, not Skydolch..
Like said, r/mm, classifieds, or from me  ;)
PM