Author Topic: Hello GeekHack, long time lurker and Filco nut coming out to greet y'all  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
Hello everyone,

I've had this dormant account for a few month and it's finally time I join in with you lovely bunch. I've been into keyboards for about 2 years since I found a cheep ISO Ducky Zero (MX Browns, no LEDs) on eBay, later splashed out on some ISO Ducky PBT keycaps in Pink & White because /r/mk kept raving about PBT.

Since the initial money spending endeavor I found GeekHack which gave me a reason for collecting keyboards other than to say "look how loud I can type" in a voice chat. I stopped spending my wallet juice on useful things like 'food' and 'rent', and started collecting spring loaded bits of plastic on a PCB. Anything with a "Filco" badge gets a 10/10 from me. :p

My little novice collection currently harbours;
  • Filco Majestouch 2 Beige with Hyperfuse GMK (when it arrives)
  • Filco KOBO Red Carbon TKL with a mix of OG Cherry WoB and GMK Dolch
  • Topre U23 from MassDrop, Orange RealForce logo keycap and BingeCap's (HWS) Smiling Jack
  • Couple of BroCaps, BingeCaps and a few other artisans from now MIA artists

Here's a little peak at the KOBO, waiting until HyperFuse graces my doorstep until the other board gets a photoshoot. I hope these images show up!
More

More

Sorry for the awful colour burst mode, my username on other forums is PradaLoci, I didn't steal the last image!

The main reason I'm coming out from lurking is that I finally have a decent income, and would love to jump in on some of the more prestigious group-buys that are hosted here. It's been my dream (like many others) to own a KMAC 2, preferably in the smooth non-anodised finish, but I know my time has probably expired to obtain such an item. Hopefully other such beauties appear in the group-buy zone or classified field, but I actually want to give something back to GeekHack for being my source of information for so long. Hopefully I can give useful comment around here on various threads.

On another note, I haven't actually seen another user with the Red Carbon KOBO case and I can't seem to access the page for it on Diatecs website anymore. So if anybody knows what's up with that I'd love to know!  :thumb:

Sorry for the long introduction, I'm going to try and be useful round here instead of posting "this looks great!" everywhere like I do/did on VOAT and Reddit.   ;D
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155
Sets: Dolch R1 - Red Alert - Hyperfuse R1 - Cherry WoB - Plum

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Hey there, welcome

I'm curious as to why you have a RF numpad but you don't have a RF keyboard or HHKB?
Chris Schammert

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
Hey there, welcome
Show Image

I'm curious as to why you have a RF numpad but you don't have a RF keyboard or HHKB?

Hello!

I wanted a numberpad to use with laptops, the top-row numbers just don't quite cut it for me. I'd been wanting to try Topre for a long time too, may aswell kill two birds with one stone and buy a RF U23, turns out it's fantastic! Although it backfired and I use it allongside a full size board instead of with laptops. Topre's great.

The Leopold 660C's got my eye for that beautiful layout, it's on a list of things to buy if money was no object.  :)
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Hey there, welcome
Show Image

Hello!

I wanted a numberpad to use with laptops, the top-row numbers just don't quite cut it for me. I'd been wanting to try Topre for a long time too, may aswell kill two birds with one stone and buy a RF U23, turns out it's fantastic! Although it backfired and I use it allongside a full size board instead of with laptops. Topre's great.

The Leopold 660C's got my eye for that beautiful layout, it's on a list of things to buy if money was no object.  :)

Leopold has a great reputation. The lasered legends might wear over time as oppose to dye-sub legends. So if you see HHKB2 folks scoff at the 660c that might be part of the reason
Chris Schammert

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
Hey there, welcome
Show Image

Hello!

Leopold has a great reputation. The lasered legends might wear over time as oppose to dye-sub legends. So if you see HHKB2 folks scoff at the 660c that might be part of the reason

Oh I see, didn't know that. That odd right shft key's not too great for finding replacement keycaps either, I bet. If they ever do a mark II 660c I'd love to see something like this layout:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Hey there, welcome
Show Image

Hello!

Oh I see, didn't know that. That odd right shft key's not too great for finding replacement keycaps either, I bet. If they ever do a mark II 660c I'd love to see something like this layout:

Show Image

Oh no! Comic Sans strikes again! But seriously, that layout would be pretty cool
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Welcome to Geekhack!

About 18 months is a tad more than "a few months" :))

That KOBO case looks fantastic!  I don't think I've seen it before.  A while back there was a bunch of weird Filco cases, including one that looked like grass.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
Welcome to Geekhack!

That KOBO case looks fantastic!  I don't think I've seen it before.  A while back there was a bunch of weird Filco cases, including one that looked like grass.

Thank you!

I really should have joined in sooner, been sat in the shadows and seen some crazy stuff happen here in the past year or so.   :confused:

Thanks for the kind words about the case! I remember seeing a group-buy for KOBO cases on here, probably before I joined, Japan has some crazy ideas for what office keyboards should look like.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you!

I really should have joined in sooner, been sat in the shadows and seen some crazy stuff happen here in the past year or so.   :confused:

Thanks for the kind words about the case! I remember seeing a group-buy for KOBO cases on here, probably before I joined, Japan has some crazy ideas for what office keyboards should look like.

The Japanese have come crazy ideas about a lot of things!

In a good way :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ