Author Topic: Keyboards for a light touch  (Read 14981 times)

Offline Crossfire

Re: Keyboards for a light touch
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 04:40:34 »
Plate mounted 45g Novatouch was horrible out of the box...I mean, knowing topre I've thought that it should be a winner with them mx stems and stuff...but the typing feeling and sound was just off...after taking them in a 4 hour lubing marathon the board finally was what it should be...on the other hand the RF was just so more refined, complete package out of the box.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 04:41:29 »
Plate mounted 45g Novatouch was horrible out of the box...I mean, knowing topre I've thought that it should be a winner with them mx stems and stuff...but the typing feeling and sound was just off...after taking them in a 4 hour lubing marathon the board finally was what it should be...on the other hand the RF was just so more refined, complete package out of the box.

What was most horrible about the experience? Was it wobbly? Or uneven feel across keys / switches?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 04:52:57 »
What was most horrible about the experience? Was it wobbly? Or uneven feel across keys / switches?
No, the reaction of switches when pressed and the sound they were making when typing...not to mention the squeky stabs...just god awful. Usually I just want a little satisfaction sound and feel-wise and there was none...literally. I took it home with me from work, put it apart, cleaned, lubed the rails and stabs...and there she was, a completely different board.

With stock caps I've even achieved that signature topre "thock" which was kind of missing previously. 
Gmk's and other doubleshots just didn't sound that good, which was a bit of a surprise tbh...but it's ok, I've checked that off of my wishlist and moved forward :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 04:55:02 »
No, the reaction of switches when pressed and the sound they were making when typing...not to mention the squeky stabs...just god awful. Usually I just want a little satisfaction sound and feel-wise and there was none...literally. I took it home with me from work, put it apart, cleaned, lubed the rails and stabs...and there she was, a completely different board.

With stock caps I've even achieved that signature topre "thock" which was kind of missing previously. 
Gmk's and other doubleshots just didn't sound that good, which was a bit of a surprise tbh...but it's ok, I've checked that off of my wishlist and moved forward :)

Thanks for the details. Sounds like not so fine board then. Squeaky.. hmm... probably not lubed enough out of factory.

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 04:58:08 »
Yeah, my guess exactly...and to tell you the truth, every single hhkb I had was a squeky stab mess...but not that RF55g from my friend.
But it's ok, every board I buy gets special cleaning and tuning treatment first...that's obligatory for me, I want to get the best out of the single board :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:00:52 »
Yeah, my guess exactly...and to tell you the truth, every single hhkb I had was a squeky stab mess...but not that RF55g from my friend.
But it's ok, every board I buy gets special cleaning and tuning treatment first...that's obligatory for me, I want to get the best out of the single board :)

Do you also lube your topres? Apart from stem, I mean like sliders? What lube do you use?

I think I'm gonna silence AND lube my HHKB.. Coz... I can man!

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:10:00 »

Do you also lube your topres? Apart from stem, I mean like sliders? What lube do you use?

Absolutely! I paint the switch sliders with a brush - I use krytox gpl205, but just a thin layer. I don't like to overlube the switches, then it's just wrong. It's obligatory to try the switches, how they travel in the housings...at least for me.

The stock hhkb is a loud board...that's a fact.

Yeah, hush that japanese beauty :)
Do it!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:13:17 »

Absolutely! I paint the switch sliders with a brush - I use krytox gpl205, but just a thin layer. I don't like to overlube the switches, then it's just wrong. It's obligatory to try the switches, how they travel in the housings...at least for me.

The stock hhkb is a loud board...that's a fact.

Yeah, hush that japanese beauty :)
Do it!

How do you do that to Topre sliders? HHKB is case mounted... you gotta take out the switches like cherry?

I should probably look up some videos..

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:27:26 »
Here are a few photos of my reconditioning process of the good ol' pro 1 - http://imgur.com/a/2JrqC
Basically you just push the sliders out of the housing and that's it. You clean the domes, leave those conical springs as they're and lube only the slider rails.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:53:05 »
Here are a few photos of my reconditioning process of the good ol' pro 1 - http://imgur.com/a/2JrqC
Basically you just push the sliders out of the housing and that's it. You clean the domes, leave those conical springs as they're and lube only the slider rails.

Cool, thanks!

EDIT: those pcs... looks like caps are dirty or is it overshoot from the cam?

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:13:05 »
Good old fasioned keyboard dirt :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:14:35 »
Good old fasioned keyboard dirt :)

One question.. what lube did you use? And did you only lube the stems?

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:19:03 »
Krytox gpl205, some get good results with Superlube 51010 oil too.
I lube only the slider rails and not the cylindrical part of the sliders.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:24:50 »
anyone know a really really really thick lube that works well on stabilizers? i tried 205 but it just takes a few weeks before i have to re-do it, would prefer something that's a bunch thicker
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:28:06 »
Krytox gpl205, some get good results with Superlube 51010 oil too.
I lube only the slider rails and not the cylindrical part of the sliders.

Thanks!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:28:27 »
anyone know a really really really thick lube that works well on stabilizers? i tried 205 but it just takes a few weeks before i have to re-do it, would prefer something that's a bunch thicker

I'm trying to learn about lubing... what is the advantage of really thick lube?

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:31:37 »
I use 205 on all my stabs too and it still holds up well...cures the stab squeking and makes the stabs work more smooth. Just don't overdo it :)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:24:42 »
As an elderly coder myself (59), I'll share my experience. I had been using MX Browns for 3 - 4 years. Just like you, at the end of the day my knuckles ached. I bought a RF 87U variable and haven't had any issues with sore knuckles. I mean the pain was gone completely. If you're a touch typist, you won't notice the variable key weighting. It just feels 'balanced'. I also have a RF 87U 55g. It's a great board, but a bit too stiff for extended typing for me. However, if you're used to Unicomp, it may be fine for you. They're both great boards. But if I could only choose one, it would be the variable. I have since given all my Cherry boards to needy friends.

I've had the same experience. So first I but o-rings on my caps for my browns filco tkl board. Was better, but not completely. So I bought a HHKB. Though I love it, it felt a bit too mushy. Then I read up on people using clears and saying springs so heavy it is actually lighter because you can try not bottoming out. So did that. Then bought RF 87U 55g and that's best of all so far.

I should also mentioned that I type Colemak. With the minimal finger travel, the variable is the ticket for me. If I were still qwerty, I might prefer the 55g.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 14:34:09 »
As an elderly coder myself (59), I'll share my experience. I had been using MX Browns for 3 - 4 years. Just like you, at the end of the day my knuckles ached. I bought a RF 87U variable and haven't had any issues with sore knuckles. I mean the pain was gone completely. If you're a touch typist, you won't notice the variable key weighting. It just feels 'balanced'. I also have a RF 87U 55g. It's a great board, but a bit too stiff for extended typing for me. However, if you're used to Unicomp, it may be fine for you. They're both great boards. But if I could only choose one, it would be the variable. I have since given all my Cherry boards to needy friends.

I've had the same experience. So first I but o-rings on my caps for my browns filco tkl board. Was better, but not completely. So I bought a HHKB. Though I love it, it felt a bit too mushy. Then I read up on people using clears and saying springs so heavy it is actually lighter because you can try not bottoming out. So did that. Then bought RF 87U 55g and that's best of all so far.

I should also mentioned that I type Colemak. With the minimal finger travel, the variable is the ticket for me. If I were still qwerty, I might prefer the 55g.

How long have you been on Colemak now? Do you think it is really better than qwerty?

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 20:33:57 »
I've been Colemak for a little over three years. Better is subjective. If I were transcribing pages of documents, definitely. As a coder, I'm not constantly typing so it's hard to justify the switch from qwerty. It is more comfortable typing. I'm glad I switched. 

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:39:46 »
Oh yea, alternative layouts that reduce finger travel can be a big help to reduce finger pain.  Qwerty requires a lot of jumping around.  This topic has been analyzed to death in the ergonomics subforum.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:54:02 »
Oh yea, alternative layouts that reduce finger travel can be a big help to reduce finger pain.  Qwerty requires a lot of jumping around.  This topic has been analyzed to death in the ergonomics subforum.

Has a definitive solution emerged yet? I suppose everybody is going to experience it differently..

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:22:53 »

Has a definitive solution emerged yet? I suppose everybody is going to experience it differently..

Don't think there is a definitive solution. I chose Colemak because it was the easiest transition from qwerty and maintained Win shortcuts for copy / cut / paste in the same place.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:31:19 »

Don't think there is a definitive solution. I chose Colemak because it was the easiest transition from qwerty and maintained Win shortcuts for copy / cut / paste in the same place.

I've tried dvorak, but really didn't like it for some reason. And I've REALLY tried for like a month or so.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:05:14 »

I've tried dvorak, but really didn't like it for some reason. And I've REALLY tried for like a month or so.

Here's an interesting site to help analyze the different keyboard layouts...

http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/#/main

You can just type or paste samples of text strings that you typically type and it will compare the different layouts to see which is the most efficient based on what you type. If you're a coder, paste some code in the text box. It's interesting to see how bad qwerty is compared to any of the alternate layouts.

Offline FlukE

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:08:02 »
I would recommend gatreon clears which come in at a very light 35g which is quite a solid amount less than the browns you said were hurting you're knuckles :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:18:09 »

Here's an interesting site to help analyze the different keyboard layouts...

http://patorjk.com/keyboard-layout-analyzer/#/main

You can just type or paste samples of text strings that you typically type and it will compare the different layouts to see which is the most efficient based on what you type. If you're a coder, paste some code in the text box. It's interesting to see how bad qwerty is compared to any of the alternate layouts.

Thanks, very cool!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:18:32 »
I would recommend gatreon clears which come in at a very light 35g which is quite a solid amount less than the browns you said were hurting you're knuckles :)

That's even ligher than MX Reds O_o Wow.

Offline dante

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:38:00 »
If you go with 35g Gaterons I have three suggestions if you want to preserve your hands:

1. Consider some squishy O-Rings.
2. A keyboard with PCB mounted switches (ie: no plate.)
3. ABS keycaps.  Though this won't matter as much as the first two.

These three together should give an experience that is easier on your hands.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:39:32 »
The gateron browns are very light and smooth.  Lighter than Cherry browns.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:43:13 »
If you go with 35g Gaterons I have three suggestions if you want to preserve your hands:

How's ABS easier on the hands? Coz it's a bit softer than PBT?

Offline dante

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 15:46:40 »

Well with my hands it is.  I've heard others also say the same.  But to be fair, all PBT is different.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:21:42 »

Well with my hands it is.  I've heard others also say the same.  But to be fair, all PBT is different.

I can imagine that. I like the feel of ABS a bit better than PBT actually, but I'm just not made for teh shine.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 01:31:54 »

If you want "softer" keycaps, try POM.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bucake

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 07:54:48 »
ABS? wasn't that made in Hell?

nah, i have nothing against ABS. but i do think it's just absolutely horrible for the touch, especially since it wears so quickly.
99% of computer mice are made with ABS, but most of them are coated. i think the same has been done with a handful of keyboards? (rubberized coating or something)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:28:09 »
ABS is some great plastic. Non-toxic, reasonably sturdy and impact resistant, lightweight, colorful and can be made glossy or can be textured, hits tight tolerances, cheap, etc.

If you look around your home, you’ll find ABS used all over the place. And who doesn’t like Legos?

For keyboard buttons, I think PBT often makes a nicer sound. But ABS is also fine. The thickness of the plastic also has a big effect on sound.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:29:48 by jacobolus »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:13:41 »

I was using a modified Maltron layout for awhile.  Although not sure if it helped that much.  My greatest hand pain is related to mouse usage.  Although all this jumping around QWERTY probably does not help.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing