Author Topic: hi from Australia  (Read 3642 times)

Offline ItsBarney01

hi from Australia
« on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 07:16:26 »
Hello, I am just getting into mechanical keyboards. I live in Australia, and am currently at high school. Currently i only own one mechanical keyboard, a corsair k65 with mx reds. I have done no mods to this besides flipping the space bar, which doesn't really count. I plan on purchasing a HHKB pro 2 type S at some stage, and possibly hydro dipping or swirling the frame :cool:, but i really have no idea if that is even possible for a topre keyboard :)). As I am still only in high school, coming up with funds for the HHKB will obviously be a challenge, but I plan to get a job soon and so that should help ;D.

I really look forward to meeting the geekhack community, and properly getting into mechanical keyboards.

P.S. if anyone has taken a HHKB apart before please leave a comment if it is possible to completely isolate the frame from any internal components and switches.

P.P.S. also feel free to leave a comment just for banter  :thumb:

^^^Click for instagram^^^

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: hi from Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 07:30:58 »
Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen that done to an HHKB before but I don't think it would be a problem to paint or dip the case

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:14:33 »
Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen that done to an HHKB before but I don't think it would be a problem to paint or dip the case

Awesome! Thanks mate.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 10:02:17 »
Welcome! Hydro dipping the HHKB is possible (see link) Idk how that one was done. As for who did it I would take a guess and say that it wasn't Morbidstix. But I could be wrong. :cool:

Imgur Link For More IMGs
Chris Schammert

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 10:34:10 »
Welcome to geekhack from the land of the bitey things! 

Looks like this may be the original album? http://imgur.com/a/sZLrx
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:03:31 »
Welcome to geekhack from the land of the bitey things! 

Looks like this may be the original album? http://imgur.com/a/sZLrx

Could be. That link is the same as the link I posted :)) I remember seeing the board in either the "it's in the mail" thread or the "what keyboard are you using" thread.

I've yet to see a picture of a chipped morbidstix job but, I'm not an expert on the subject
Chris Schammert

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 19:04:52 »
Welcome! Hydro dipping the HHKB is possible (see link) Idk how that one was done. As for who did it I would take a guess and say that it wasn't Morbidstix. But I could be wrong. :cool:

Imgur Link For More IMGs
Show Image

Awesome, thanks a lot. I will definitely give this a shot if I get a hhkb.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 19:53:18 »
On closer inspection, that 'hydro dipped paint job' looks like a bunch of stickers.

Food for thought, hydro dipping will definitely void your warranty   
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 05:55:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Looks like the original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4dh4yl/is_this_the_first_hydrodipped_hhkb/

And it seems that one was hydro-dipped.

I can't think of a reason why it would not be physically possible to do.  Probably no-one has done it as you'd pay a lot for a keyboard with a certain look, and then completely change the look in a non-reversible way.

What do you mean by isolating the frame?  The HHKB is one of a very few (if not the only one) case-mounted keyboard.  The switches are actually mounted in the case top.  There is no plate.  Then there is the case bottom, and a PCB or two inside.  That's about it.  All plastic construction.

There's some disassembly info and internal pics here.

Edit: url tag has [ and ] :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 April 2016, 06:01:00 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ItsBarney01

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 01:41:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Looks like the original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4dh4yl/is_this_the_first_hydrodipped_hhkb/

I can't think of a reason why it would not be physically possible to do.  Probably no-one has done it as you'd pay a lot for a keyboard with a certain look, and then completely change the look in a non-reversible way.

What do you mean by isolating the frame?  The HHKB is one of a very few (if not the only one) case-mounted keyboard.  The switches are actually mounted in the case top.  There is no plate.  Then there is the case bottom, and a PCB or two inside.  That's about it.  All plastic construction.

yeah, that was what i was worried about. Should still be possible though. Maybe a bit harder.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:52:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

yeah, that was what i was worried about. Should still be possible though. Maybe a bit harder.

The only thing is - if it get fscked up you'll have a hard time finding a replacement HHKB case top without buying another HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ