Author Topic: Thinking about a GamePad for my first customized project  (Read 3462 times)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Thinking about a GamePad for my first customized project
« on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 20:03:25 »
I've seen people doing numeric keypads and of course, every type of keyboard under the sun.  But never gamepads that I've seen.  Right now I'm using a g13, but that's not mechanical, of course.  And it could be made better- I never use the little joystick.  I also don't like Razer's offerings at all.  So I figured I might look into making one.  My first stab at a layout is below.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/7f77c6aa7c618555a920ae1acc6f83af

Has anyone tried to do something like this?  Is there a reason why not, or anything I'd have to look out for?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Re: Thinking about a GamePad for my first customized project
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:16:53 »
I haven't tried such a thing ever, but it would be cool.

But what would you use it for? starcraft? dota?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline vextanys

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:23:23 »
I made something similar. It was a 5x10 matrix (with 5 unused) based on Teensy2.0++ (overkill, I'm reworking to Teensy 2.0)
In essence, its just a keyboard with less keys/"better" placement. Use the tmk firmware source and customize the matrix/layout.
https://github.com/OwenSmith/tmk_keyboard has my mods for my pad (9 cols of 5, plus 5 thumb keys).
Your biggest problems
* Finding keycaps that match your layout and profiles, I use blanks, but nice labeled caps would be better (all standard caps assume qwerty layout)
* Making the plate/PCBs. I used Eagle to design PCBs for manufacture.
* Getting the rows-cols the right way around, my source has "interesting" definitions of row and column... but it works in the end

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:50:38 »
I made something similar. It was a 5x10 matrix (with 5 unused) based on Teensy2.0++ (overkill, I'm reworking to Teensy 2.0)
In essence, its just a keyboard with less keys/"better" placement. Use the tmk firmware source and customize the matrix/layout.
https://github.com/OwenSmith/tmk_keyboard has my mods for my pad (9 cols of 5, plus 5 thumb keys).
Your biggest problems
* Finding keycaps that match your layout and profiles, I use blanks, but nice labeled caps would be better (all standard caps assume qwerty layout)
* Getting the rows-cols the right way around, my source has "interesting" definitions of row and column... but it works in the end

Thanks for the info!  And I'd use it for whatever game I'm currently playing.  ;D

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 07:18:39 »
Your biggest problems

That's a cool project? Do you also have pics?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 07:44:26 »
The only problem I see is your choice of key sizes - you'll need to find caps and stabilisers to fit them, 4u is not common.  You could swap the bottom row to 2x 2.75 and use shift caps?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 08:00:36 »
I had the same thoughts that suicidal_orange had. I think the design is cool; I'm just not sure about the keycap selection because it would be hard to source. Maybe stick to 1.25x, 1.5x and 1x caps?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:41:18 »
I had the same thoughts that suicidal_orange had. I think the design is cool; I'm just not sure about the keycap selection because it would be hard to source. Maybe stick to 1.25x, 1.5x and 1x caps?

That's what I have, other than the spacebar.  What are the standard smaller spacebar units?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 13:38:01 »
That's what I have, other than the spacebar.  What are the standard smaller spacebar units?

Yeah you're right now that I look at it carefully. I guess that spacebar threw me. The only standard and easily obtainable spacebar sizes that I'm familiar with are 6.25x and 7x. I think SP can do a 4x but it's NOT standard and would have to be specially ordered. If you're doing a one off GamePad that's fine. Just an FYI and you'd be stuck with whatever spacebars SP has.

You could also use enter, right long shift, left long shift, or backspace. Those would be slightly easier to source. And you could find sets which would have all these. Again, this is all a moot point if you plan on never swapping the caps.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:16:16 »
I just had a look on PMK and there are actually 4x spacebars, as long as you like SA in brown.  Not sure what size stabiliser it would use though, I'd guess a standard 2x wouldn't be big enough.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 16:46:31 »

Yeah you're right now that I look at it carefully. I guess that spacebar threw me. The only standard and easily obtainable spacebar sizes that I'm familiar with are 6.25x and 7x. I think SP can do a 4x but it's NOT standard and would have to be specially ordered. If you're doing a one off GamePad that's fine. Just an FYI and you'd be stuck with whatever spacebars SP has.

You could also use enter, right long shift, left long shift, or backspace. Those would be slightly easier to source. And you could find sets which would have all these. Again, this is all a moot point if you plan on never swapping the caps.

That's a good idea, and explains a lot of the layouts I see on the smaller boards.  Thanks for that idea!

I just had a look on PMK and there are actually 4x spacebars, as long as you like SA in brown.  Not sure what size stabiliser it would use though, I'd guess a standard 2x wouldn't be big enough.

Yeah, I think the downsides are greater than the upsides, so I'm going to split that spacebar up to something a bit more standard.

Thanks for all of the input!

Offline vextanys

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:33:04 »
Sorry, no pics of my keypad... It doesn't look great, as its basically PCBs hot glued to an unfinished MDF base.
It was inspired by http://hackaday.com/2013/07/05/a-custom-starcraft-keyboard/ but I lack the skills to make the case that good :)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:44:54 »
i was tinkering with the idea awhile back. came up with this as a starting point. feel free to pick it apart or use it if you like or any part of it for ideas or what not.
in retrospect the number row is probably backwards 1 needs to be closer to the W key but it was just something i was tinkering with

FPS Gpad
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:45:37 »
Sorry, no pics of my keypad... It doesn't look great, as its basically PCBs hot glued to an unfinished MDF base.
It was inspired by http://hackaday.com/2013/07/05/a-custom-starcraft-keyboard/ but I lack the skills to make the case that good :)

Cool idea! So yours looks a bit ghetto? What.. you put it in a cardbox? And called it the "awesome awesome 2000"? :P

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:46:22 »
i was tinkering with the idea awhile back. came up with this as a starting point. feel free to pick it apart or use it if you like or any part of it for ideas or what not.
in retrospect the number row is probably backwards 1 needs to be closer to the W key but it was just something i was tinkering with

FPS Gpad

That would be really cool actually. I want one!

It should be enough for 90% of FPS games out there at least..

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:48:28 »

FPS Gpad

That would be really cool actually. I want one!

It should be enough for 90% of FPS games out there at least..

yeah i'm an old school FPS player so i modeled it after what most games i play/played used.
i can cut you out prototypes or a hand wired case. PM me :D
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline vextanys

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:01:29 »
Heres a pic of my poor woodworking skills

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:09:23 »
Heres a pic of my poor woodworking skills

That's still impressive. I couldn't do that myself. How did you handwire it?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:18:21 »
Wow nice

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Projects

Offline vextanys

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 07:30:52 »
The keys are on custom PCBs - with 5 keys in a column on each PCB. I used Eagle and found a library that had the Cherry MX (and compatible) layout and arranged with a pin header and diodes. I cant find those files :(
The wires all go to a piece of veroboard with header sockets for each row/column wire, using standard jumper wires.
All the expensive bits are socketed, so I can adjust the design - I went through a lot of prototype layouts before cutting the MDF (there is 2 layers of 6mm I had spare, one has a layout cut out, the other is the base) and hot gluing the PCBs to the base.

I do intend to redo the layout, hard-wire the PCBs to the replacement Teensy2.0 (and reuse the 2.0++ for something else)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 07:53:27 »
The keys are on custom PCBs - with 5 keys in a column on each PCB. I used Eagle and found a library that had the Cherry MX (and compatible) layout and arranged with a pin header and diodes. I cant find those files :(
The wires all go to a piece of veroboard with header sockets for each row/column wire, using standard jumper wires.
All the expensive bits are socketed, so I can adjust the design - I went through a lot of prototype layouts before cutting the MDF (there is 2 layers of 6mm I had spare, one has a layout cut out, the other is the base) and hot gluing the PCBs to the base.

I do intend to redo the layout, hard-wire the PCBs to the replacement Teensy2.0 (and reuse the 2.0++ for something else)
I may have the ki cad footprints. But that thing is cool. I'm in the process of upgrading my cnc controller so I can cut pcbs. Soon so soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Projects