Author Topic: The snozberries do taste like snozberries!  (Read 2795 times)

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
The snozberries do taste like snozberries!
« on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 11:55:13 »
TLDR; Quickfire Rapid (Blues) & Leopold FC660M (Reds)

Hello everyone,

Hope you all had a great weekend! Found you guys through Google and I'm glad I did. I've had my rig built for about a year now and started with a cheap Thermaltake Commander Keyboard/Mouse combo which got the job done. I was always interested in a real mech keyboard and recently decided to pursue this. I've tested a bunch of MX switches, and don't really have a preference. Ended up grabbing a CM Quickfire last week for $40 and have been loving it so far - has MX Blues. Plans are to keep it and probably paint it and throw some new caps on.

Next up...I found an offer for a Leopold FC660M that I couldn't resist and decided to pull the trigger. It will be arriving today and I cannot wait to test it out. I love the layout because it's basically a 60%, but has the arrow keys and what not. I'm just getting into all this so bare with me.

Can't wait to stick around and keep my wallet thin ;) Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:43:04 by snozberries »

Offline need

Re: The snozberries do taste like snozberries!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:46:05 »
too long to read, sorry m8

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:48:51 »

Haha, added a TLDR for those that don't want to read a few sentences!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 12:51:22 »

Haha, added a TLDR for those that don't want to read a few sentences!

TLDR still too long.  :))

Welcome to the forums.  :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:50:24 »

If you don't like to read long posts GH might not be the place for you :)) ^-^

Welcome, aw I guess you missed the FC660C.. that's ok you'll get it right eventually ;) (joking! inb4 hhkb)
Chris Schammert

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:41:48 »

Welcome, aw I guess you missed the FC660C.. that's ok you'll get it right eventually ;) (joking! inb4 hhkb)

Just got a deal on this that I couldn't pass up and it looked awesome. Didn't want to spend $200+.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 20:11:59 »

Just got a deal on this that I couldn't pass up and it looked awesome. Didn't want to spend $200+.

Fair enough. What switches did you go with for your Leopold?
Chris Schammert

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 20:41:33 »
It came with MX Reds, bought the board for $90 which is a pretty decent deal.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 06:06:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's an excellent price for the QFR!  If you want to paint it you'll need to sand the rubberised coating off first.

By the way there's a whole sub-forum on QFR case painting.  That originated back when CM sold just the case tops, so everynoe was buying up 3 or 4 and experimenting with them.  There are some fantastic results out there!

The white FC660M - looks great!  If a white FC660C has been available when I was looking, I probably would have bought that instead of my HHKB :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:09:53 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's an excellent price for the QFR!  If you want to paint it you'll need to sand the rubberised coating off first.

By the way there's a whole sub-forum on QFR case painting.  That originated back when CM sold just the case tops, so everynoe was buying up 3 or 4 and experimenting with them.  There are some fantastic results out there!

The white FC660M - looks great!  If a white FC660C has been available when I was looking, I probably would have bought that instead of my HHKB :eek:

Awesome, thank you for the info. I didn't even waste time lurking on here, so I haven't browsed all the forums and what not. I am definitely interested in painting the CM for sure.

Yup, I hear ya. I've heard great things about the FC660C!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 05:52:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Awesome, thank you for the info. I didn't even waste time lurking on here, so I haven't browsed all the forums and what not. I am definitely interested in painting the CM for sure.

Yup, I hear ya. I've heard great things about the FC660C!

My, second or third modern mechanical keyboard was a QFR with MX blacks.  It has performed faultlessly for me.  In fact I'm using it right now, although the original keycaps were swapped out a long time ago!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ