Author Topic: Mounting SMDs on plate side/keyswitch side of Ergodox -- Will it work?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Tye

I'm well into my mod to add a Trackpoint to an Ergodox.

The clearance between PCB and the case bottom is very small -- only about 3mm. Because of this, I don't even have clearance for the SMDs on the bottom of the PCB because the Trackpoint module bumps against them.
Because of this, I mounted the right hand SMDs on the top/plate/switch side of the PCB instead of the bottom side as indicated in the most Ergodox tutorials. I checked the polarity on the top and the bottom of the PCB with a multimeter and everything flows the right way. Additionally, I test fit some Gateron keyswitches and they (just barely) fit too.

So, is it really that simple? Or did I miss something that will mess up my build?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Mounting SMDs on plate side/keyswitch side of Ergodox -- Will it work?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 22:38:37 »
I'm well into my mod to add a Trackpoint to an Ergodox.

The clearance between PCB and the case bottom is very small -- only about 3mm. Because of this, I don't even have clearance for the SMDs on the bottom of the PCB because the Trackpoint module bumps against them.
Because of this, I mounted the right hand SMDs on the top/plate/switch side of the PCB instead of the bottom side as indicated in the most Ergodox tutorials. I checked the polarity on the top and the bottom of the PCB with a multimeter and everything flows the right way. Additionally, I test fit some Gateron keyswitches and they (just barely) fit too.

So, is it really that simple? Or did I miss something that will mess up my build?

While I don't have a dual sided board like that nor an ergo dox, I would say it should work.  They are flippable, and dual sided. so essentially, all the same circuit just on both sides of the pcb.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich