Author Topic: Hello from Washington D.C.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline vito687

Hello from Washington D.C.
« on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 11:35:31 »
Hello all!

I got into the hobby what feels like years ago but really only a few months ago in the cold months of the winter :) Since then I feel like I have accomplished and been through a lot.  I've been pretty active within the Reddit community /u/vito687 and a long time lurker here but couldn't quite get the hang of a forum-style site I felt like it was all too much .  I have since discovered tapatalk and finally feel like it is manageable!  As far as my keyboard journey I started with a switch tester and fell in love with some clicky blues.  I wanted to get something with a lot of support, solid construction , and easy to find so I went with a backlit pok3r.  Since then I have been through two keysets on it and a custom cable. I loved BBV2's from the start but quickly learned that even with some $$ to throw at it they are a very elusive cap so I moved on with my artisan game and got a gemkey from massdrop and a Warmaster.  Speaking of artisans I also learned RNGsus is a very finicky God , only just recently winning two of approx 8 raffles entered.  Lastly I got myself a backlit Planck with gat yellows and did a lot of hunting and bargaining to get myself the modern selectric keyset for it and I really like it as my night time keyboard.  This has been such a fun journey into a really interesting albeit expensive hobby and I look forward to getting more involved.  I'm already thinking of building a 75% keyboard from winkeyless and toying with the idea of zealios !  Nice to e-meet you all

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Hello from Washington D.C.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 12:24:11 »
Hold up. Keybuto?! Very nice :eek: Welcome

Skullydazed's Modern Selectric it pretty incredible. Skullydazed also helped me out when I was attempting to design a set. Good people :thumb:
Chris Schammert

Offline vito687

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 13:07:16 »
Hold up. Keybuto?! Very nice :eek: Welcome

Skullydazed's Modern Selectric it pretty incredible. Skullydazed also helped me out when I was attempting to design a set. Good people :thumb:
That's one of my lucky raffle wins after all my losses.  I also have 5 fugu coming!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 02:30:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Pok3r is a great reliable keyboard :)

You have won 2 out of 8 RNG?  That's 25% - impressive, and far better than most people do.

BBV2 might be end of life, so keep an eye on classifieds as they do occasionally appear.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vito687

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:15:25 »
Omg does this mean I need to pledge something to you now ;)?  I'm actually 3/9 now I won my first bro!  I've been participating for much longer on the Reddit side so I've seen BBV2's come and go but I haven't really had any bargaining chips , maybe some of my extra fugu will help

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 19:59:53 »
Omg does this mean I need to pledge something to you now ;)?  I'm actually 3/9 now I won my first bro!  I've been participating for much longer on the Reddit side so I've seen BBV2's come and go but I haven't really had any bargaining chips , maybe some of my extra fugu will help

The value of a trade is in the eye of the receiver.  Or something.  Someone might want to trade a BBV2 for a Fugu or two ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vito687

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:03:15 »
That's what I'm hoping :)  I feel like I have somewhat of a decent collection of items to be able to trade

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:12:40 »
That's what I'm hoping :)  I feel like I have somewhat of a decent collection of items to be able to trade

Is it still 2 months membership and 25 posts before you can open a classifieds (WTT) thread?  You've got the time, just need a couple more posts!

Offline vito687

Hello from Washington D.C.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:13:55 »
Yep I read the rules earlier today :) I have r/Mechmarket until then but I'm
In no rush!  I only have a couple more posts to get in
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2016, 20:38:41 by vito687 »