Author Topic: [IC] 45 Key Macropad (numpad, arrows, F keys)  (Read 16313 times)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
[IC] 45 Key Macropad (numpad, arrows, F keys)
« on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 14:06:56 »
Hi guys,

I've been working on a macropad that adds a dedicated numberpad, arrow keys, and F keys all on a single stand alone board.  The idea is that this could be used in conjunction with 60% and smaller boards to provide the missing keys.

I've already designed a pcb that support mx and alps switches as well as single color backlighting.

I am nearly finished drawing a cnc milled aluminum case for the macropad as well.

layout:

case render

So the big question is - would this be something that you are interested in?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: [IC] 45 Key Macropad (numpad, arrows, F keys)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 14:08:01 »
Sure why not. I know some other company mass produced this layout, but a custom would be neat.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 15:23:17 »
Sure why not. I know some other company mass produced this layout, but a custom would be neat.

do you have a link to that?

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 16:51:44 »

Something like the Scorpius 32 is approaching the same idea (Amazon link).

Also, how programmable is it?  I've really gotten to like the top row on my Leopold numberpad.  Those 4 blank keys under the F5/F6/F7/F8 are just calling out for Esc/Tab/=/Backspace.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 16:53:27 »

Also, how programmable is it?  I've really gotten to like the top row on my Leopold numberpad.  Those 4 blank keys under the F5/F6/F7/F8 are just calling out for Esc/Tab/=/Backspace.
It's 100% programmable!

Offline Data

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 16:55:54 »
I've been looking for something similar for a while.  Mainly looking at building/acquiring a QAZPad:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43183.0

But it hasn't been going well and there's only 1 other guy interested in reviving the project enough to maybe reach the group buy stage.  Honestly though, 45 keys is probably too much.  Your design looks really intense and perhaps a little lopsided -- I think because of the gap between the arrows and the numpad.  Still, I'm interested to see where this goes.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:00:01 »
I've been looking for something similar for a while.  Mainly looking at building/acquiring a QAZPad:  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43183.0

Show Image

But it hasn't been going well and there's only 1 other guy interested in reviving the project enough to maybe reach the group buy stage.  Honestly though, 45 keys is probably too much.  Your design looks really intense and perhaps a little lopsided -- I think because of the gap between the arrows and the numpad.  Still, I'm interested to see where this goes.

Ooh, that QazPad looks awesome. In fact, it looks ideal. Mark my interest for one; would definitely like to acquire it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:00:24 »

That's it! The Scorpius.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:07:46 »

Show Image

Thanks for the feedback.  How do you feel about the following layout?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:27:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

I like this better than the other, this has the proper size to dock next to a 60 with proper alignment.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 17:29:13 »

Show Image

Show Image

I like this better than the other, this has the proper size to dock next to a 60 with proper alignment.

Thanks for the feedback.

Offline krajee

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 18:08:56 »
The second layout appeals to me more than the first. I normally don't use the navigation cluster, so being able to program those into macros would be a plus for me.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 18:11:40 »
The second layout appeals to me more than the first. I normally don't use the navigation cluster, so being able to program those into macros would be a plus for me.
Right on, thanks for feedback

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 18:28:23 »
Definitely better without the F layer.

Offline boo

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:22:11 »
Considering that this is a macropad as well why not have the F keys to the right of the numpad? Just a thought.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:26:29 »
Considering that this is a macropad as well why not have the F keys to the right of the numpad? Just a thought.
The problem with that is it starts to get very wide

Offline Data

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:40:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

This has a better feel to it, but it might just be the familiarity that's appealing (that's not a bad thing).  I'm curious how it would look/function with the 5 keys above the arrows also populated -- maybe as macros? Just a thought.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 19:52:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

This has a better feel to it, but it might just be the familiarity that's appealing (that's not a bad thing).  I'm curious how it would look/function with the 5 keys above the arrows also populated -- maybe as macros? Just a thought.
That's an interesting idea

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 20:16:27 »

Show Image

Show Image

That's an interesting idea

I kind of like it more without those extra keys because then it only uses standard keycaps that usually come with aftermarket sets

Offline Data

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:11:25 »
True, but if you have one of those sets, good chance you have F1-F5 -- all caps that you're not using if you have a 60% board.  The row profile would be a little weird.  I dunno, think about it.  Maybe it could be an optional 2nd layout for people who might just be looking for a macro pad.  There's always blanks...  :)

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 21:12:20 »
True, but if you have one of those sets, good chance you have F1-F5 -- all caps that you're not using if you have a 60% board.  The row profile would be a little weird.  I dunno, think about it.  Maybe it could be an optional 2nd layout for people who might just be looking for a macro pad.  There's always blanks...  :)
True.  I'll play around with it

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 01:18:39 »
While trimming the pcb down to the smaller size without the f keys, I got an idea to allow for 1u keys in all of the numpad positions, so no 2u keys if you don't want.  I'll post some layouts and stuff tomorrow as well as plate renders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 07:37:56 »
I got an idea to allow for 1u keys in all of the numpad positions, so no 2u keys if you don't want.

You've read my mind. Fully interested in this.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 08:02:56 »
While trimming the pcb down to the smaller size without the f keys, I got an idea to allow for 1u keys in all of the numpad positions, so no 2u keys if you don't want.  I'll post some layouts and stuff tomorrow as well as plate renders

Just keep in mind that the compatibility of the number pad with num-pad-keys out of  full size key sets may appeal a lot of people that can put their keys to use, if they are sixty users. If the design takes non standard keys, that may discourage some people that can get alternate number pads commercially available that already offer that option.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 08:10:30 »
It's certainly interesting. I'll keep an eye on this.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:34:01 »

Just keep in mind that the compatibility of the number pad with num-pad-keys out of  full size key sets may appeal a lot of people that can put their keys to use, if they are sixty users. If the design takes non standard keys, that may discourage some people that can get alternate number pads commercially available that already offer that option.
You can still use the 2 unit keys.  You can do several layouts now!  I'll post more info in a bit as I just woke up and need to get ready for my day job XD

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:34:41 »
I got an idea to allow for 1u keys in all of the numpad positions, so no 2u keys if you don't want.

You've read my mind. Fully interested in this.
Awesome!!!

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 12:37:53 »
All of the following layouts are supported in the PCB. For the all single unit setup, it can be done with pcb mount mx and no plate.  all stabilized layouts require a plate, and of course all alps layouts require a plate. 

ALL LAYOUTS CAN BE ACHIEVED WITH ALPS OR MX SWITCHES!!!

I prefer the standard, all singles, and split plus split enter layouts.

Which layouts do you like the best?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 04:55:08 »
I would probably prefer the standard layout but I know some people like the extra keys.

Will you be including RGB support? 4-pin low profile leds? ;)
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 09:34:39 »
I would probably prefer the standard layout but I know some people like the extra keys.

Will you be including RGB support? 4-pin low profile leds? ;)

No rgb support yet :( I'm still building my skill set, but it is something I'm workings towards.

Offline qazeqaz

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 10:37:04 »
Following.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 11:01:39 »
Is it possible to do a layout where the keypad is on the other side?

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 11:31:56 »
Like a reversible pcb?  It's possible but would require its own case top and some rework to the pcb.  Not sure it's worth it for this iteration, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind

Offline Phenix

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 04:59:19 »
That looks great. Any price info so far?

typos due to my touch screen are possible

Winter is coming.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 10:10:31 »
That looks great. Any price info so far?

typos due to my touch screen are possible

Thanks!

Not yet, working on finishing annotating the models so I can get quotes from the shops

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:53:33 »
Like a reversible pcb?  It's possible but would require its own case top and some rework to the pcb.  Not sure it's worth it for this iteration, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind

I just know a lot of people prefer the numpad on the left, so that would be more of a support if it were completely on the left.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 14:26:14 »
The renders in the middle don't have the the F-keys on top / the extra 2 buttons near the 6-pack.
Which one is the actual?
Maybe fill in all key positions and add support for 2u keys on the left(so one could choose wether"Normal design" or an inverted one for use on the left site (swapping arrows/numpad)?
Winter is coming.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 14:39:09 »
The renders in the middle don't have the the F-keys on top / the extra 2 buttons near the 6-pack.
Which one is the actual?
Maybe fill in all key positions and add support for 2u keys on the left(so one could choose wether"Normal design" or an inverted one for use on the left site (swapping arrows/numpad)?
Interesting idea,  I need room for the controller on the pcb and all the components. And then an additional case top would be needed.  It might be easier to just design a left sided one.  The most recent renders are accurate

Offline Phenix

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 14:52:54 »
place for the controller - maybe Model M style? (so just make the casing deeper, so controller behind F-row)

This would make the whole construction really flexible..
Winter is coming.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 15:08:28 »
place for the controller - maybe Model M style? (so just make the casing deeper, so controller behind F-row)

This would make the whole construction really flexible..
There is no f row on the current revision

Offline Phenix

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 15:09:39 »
Too bad it was cut off :rolleyes:
Personally would prefer one :p
Winter is coming.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 15:10:48 »
Too bad it was cut off :rolleyes:
Personally would prefer one :p

Haha XD so hard to please everyone.  I did keep the files saved off so I can revisit the expanded design in the future ;)

Offline Phenix

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 15:26:19 »
you should rename the thread title ;)
Winter is coming.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:54:08 »
This is so nice that it moves me to reconsider the use of a numpad that I have not used in the last four years, keep up the good job.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 17:55:10 »
This is so nice that it moves me to reconsider the use of a numpad that I have not used in the last four years, keep up the good job.
Thanks you so much :) your encouraging words keep me going

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 21:27:01 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:25:39 by alienman82 »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 21:57:38 »
Not for me, but have you considered mirroring the layout, so the arrows are on the left side?  This would be better for some who still want the mouse space possibly.
Yes, might do a flipped version in the future

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 19:24:49 »
following

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 20:11:52 »
Got a couple teaser photos for ya'll

I got my test plates and wanted to show what the keypad will more or less look like.  Also wanted to show off my custom plates.  I want to be able to offer all the layout options without making anyone pick a specific plate.  I got the idea to do mini plates for the parts that change.  So a single plate would include the large shared portion and then a mini plate for each differing layout. 

PCBs have been ordered so I will have a better idea of how the plate/mini plate combo works once those arrive, but I am liking what I am seeing so far :D

What do you think of the split plate design?

Offline Data

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 06:36:59 »
Interesting idea.