Author Topic: Refilling a glass kettle  (Read 3555 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Refilling a glass kettle
« on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 05:39:27 »
I just acquired a glass kettle (a Bellini BGK100 - this one if it makes any difference).

The documentation says to let it cool for 15 to 20 seconds before refilling it.

Perhaps I'm superstitious about hot glass, but that doesn't seem anywhere near long enough to me.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone got a similar glass water heating device and has practical experience how soon after boiling (and emptying) it can be refilled?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Re: Refilling a glass kettle
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 05:51:34 »
I just acquired a glass kettle (a Bellini BGK100 - this one if it makes any difference).

Perhaps I'm superstitious about hot glass, but that doesn't seem anywhere near long enough to me.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone got a similar glass water heating device and has practical experience how soon after boiling (and emptying) it can be refilled?

kill it!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 05:52:15 »

kill it!

I'd really rather not!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 05:54:45 »
I swear from AS physics that rapidly changing the temperature of glass weakens it, making it more brittle and subjective to breaking. The cups of tea can wait an extra 30 seconds I'm sure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 05:58:48 »
I swear from AS physics that rapidly changing the temperature of glass weakens it, making it more brittle and subjective to breaking. The cups of tea can wait an extra 30 seconds I'm sure.

It's more a case of when I've made the last hot beverage, how long should I wait before refilling it?

Normally I'd refill it straight away, so it was ready to boil next time I was lusting after a hot beverage.

I am also following the manufacturer's recommendation to boil and discard several kettles full of water before preparing the first hot beverage.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 06:01:59 »

It's more a case of when I've made the last hot beverage, how long should I wait before refilling it?

Normally I'd refill it straight away, so it was ready to boil next time I was lusting after a hot beverage.

I am also following the manufacturer's recommendation to boil and discard several kettles full of water before preparing the first hot beverage.

I always refill when I start making my drink but then again mine is metal and its just my habit. The last point, it's like that with computer radiators - just to clear the gunk.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 06:03:39 »

I always refill when I start making my drink but then again mine is metal and its just my habit. The last point, it's like that with computer radiators - just to clear the gunk.

My current kettle is entirely metal, the previous one was entirely plastic.

I left it for about half an hour, and the glass was cool to the touch.

Next time I might leave it for, say, 15 minutes and see how quickly it cools down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 06:15:36 »
I boiled it a couple of times, left it overnight, rinsed it out this evening and boiled it again.

Seems good.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 18:04:59 »
I timed it - takes 4:20 to boil a full kettle of cold water.

4:20 :))