Author Topic: FPS reboot is coming: Blackroom  (Read 4233 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
FPS reboot is coming: Blackroom
« on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 17:59:25 »
So.. What do you guys think? Jonn Romero and Carmack teaming up once again to make a shooter. This time with a sci fi twist:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/25/11491360/blackroom-game

So are we finally going to be Romero's b*tch or what?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
Re: FPS reboot is coming: Blackroom
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:09:51 »
I think I'll have to wait for more info. This looks ambitious though and I'll be interested to see what comes of it. I am sort of tired of the whole kickstarter thing though. I get that it is useful but I'm not paying a cent until I see gameplay.
Biking is fun.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:16:44 »
I think I'll have to wait for more info. This looks ambitious though and I'll be interested to see what comes of it. I am sort of tired of the whole kickstarter thing though. I get that it is useful but I'm not paying a cent until I see gameplay.

Good choice.  That 2018 game day is a ways away, and then it's also close.  It could go either way.

I'd have to disagree on the kickstarter.  I love it, especially as a way to get funded and judge interest on things that might not ever otherwise get funded.  The part that's making me question backing is Romero said he will be seeking investors if the Kickstarter hits its target.  And in my due diligence kickstarter speak, that means no-go.  You should do that *before* with a clause in there releasing the funding in that case.  Not seek afterwards.  Too many things fail because they can't find the funding.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:28:03 »

Good choice.  That 2018 game day is a ways away, and then it's also close.  It could go either way.

I'd have to disagree on the kickstarter.  I love it, especially as a way to get funded and judge interest on things that might not ever otherwise get funded.  The part that's making me question backing is Romero said he will be seeking investors if the Kickstarter hits its target.  And in my due diligence kickstarter speak, that means no-go.  You should do that *before* with a clause in there releasing the funding in that case.  Not seek afterwards.  Too many things fail because they can't find the funding.

I actually agree. I do like kickstarter. I only really have issue with things like this where it is obviously nothing but a way to show other investors that there is interest. As it is the goal they have set is nowhere near enough to make a game like the one they have described.
Biking is fun.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:35:44 »

I actually agree. I do like kickstarter. I only really have issue with things like this where it is obviously nothing but a way to show other investors that there is interest. As it is the goal they have set is nowhere near enough to make a game like the one they have described.

There is that too.  I have a series of checkpoints that I use to evaluate kickstarters (for myself, and consulting to do so)

Identity, Number of Projects created, Professionalism, how much are they a part of the community, Video, the product, Engagement, and Risks, and Feasibility.  The risks on this are high, the feasibility with what they've shown is very low, and the project shows that they know little about kickstarter as a community.  It's a nicely done project- but yeah, it's half-baked.

Offline gain

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 18:36:55 »
*And Adrian Carmack

I mean probably obvious it's not going to be John.

I'm not sure how to feel about this, I want it to work, but... Just gotta wait I guess.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:24:02 »
*And Adrian Carmack

I'm not sure how to feel about this, I want it to work, but... Just gotta wait I guess.

If it was John then there'd be a new game engine with it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 22:58:35 »
Well, it says it in the title of the linked article...

John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS Blackroom is set in a violent world of holographs

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:04:31 »
*And Adrian Carmack

If it was John then there'd be a new game engine with it.

That's especially what I dislike. It looks really weird on paper that a formerly ID Tech game would go with an Unreal engine.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:05:24 »

So what will most likely happen IF investors are on board? Wild demands and "safe and dumb it down"?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:16:49 »
Sounds like a lot of marketing mumbo jumbo with very little substance.  Could be interesting if done right, but we've also seen how poorly games that jump around setting wise worked in the past.

It seems to me that there's just a lot of hype behind the Doom team (including John Carmack) with almost no substance to back it up.  I mean, look at the time between Doom and when Adrian Carmack left and the games in that period.  There was nothing innovative, just repeating a theme.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 12:21:07 »
Sounds like a lot of marketing mumbo jumbo with very little substance.  Could be interesting if done right, but we've also seen how poorly games that jump around setting wise worked in the past.

It seems to me that there's just a lot of hype behind the Doom team (including John Carmack) with almost no substance to back it up.  I mean, look at the time between Doom and when Adrian Carmack left and the games in that period.  There was nothing innovative, just repeating a theme.

Also, there is no tech or proof of concept demo. Nothing. Just rumors and some art.

Honestly, it sounds like romero is, again, so narcissistic that he truly and honestly believes that people will love him "just because he once was on the ID ticket" and because people adored him.

But there is literally nothing you can check out about this game.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 13:00:20 »
Calling it now, Diakatana 2.0.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 13:40:34 »

Yeah, with the amount of time that this would take and the complicated nature of the game I don't think he'll be making anyone his ***** this time either.
Biking is fun.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 22:02:43 »

Harsh.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 22:06:30 »
I'm going to pre-purchase the pre-purchase of the alpha.

Offline gain

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 22:22:21 »
Well, it says it in the title of the linked article...

John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS Blackroom is set in a violent world of holographs

Done gone made a fool of myself, oops  :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 22:24:45 »
I think Romero is a talented hype man that never lives up to his promises.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 23:59:57 »
If they really are bringing the suspense of Doom/Quake then this game could have a chance. The holographic thing is cool but I can't help but wonder if this sort of thing would have been more fun before we had holographic concerts and stuff like that.

What I really want to know is why John Carmack is not on the team. Maybe he's busy idk :))
Chris Schammert

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 08:49:41 »

Seems about right for the amount of (dis)respect romero deserves. But perhaps he actually CAN make it right this time (pruhhbably not though).

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 08:50:36 »
I'm going to pre-purchase the pre-purchase of the alpha.

Cool! Perhaps you will receive a text outlining the ideas for cover art, for which additional funding appears to be required. Or am I too harsh now myself?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 08:51:16 »
I think Romero is a talented hype man that never lives up to his promises.

I believe he has cool ideas and great intentions, but that he just suffers from planning fallacy extremely. He is like a little kid with great world ideas that never make it out to be.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:45:58 »
I figure they'll get a good lump of Irish government funding because we haven't had any proper game developers here since the Amiga days, except middleware companies, while all the colleges have game development courses churning out graduates. They've done it before with animation a few times. Atari used manufacture all their arcade machines for europe here too.

Making an old school FPS is the sort of project with a small enough scope that it could be very achievable. I'm down for something more like Doom II or Quake 1/2. Fast single player with half decent level design is rare. I've played Shadow Warrior and... That other remake of a FPS from that era the name of which I'm forgetting... they weren't bad but they were lacking a weight or pacing that the 90s ones had.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 17:46:12 »
[snip]

Just so you know, you can quote multiple people by hitting multiquote and quote or by hitting reply, then selecting quotes.  It's generally considered bad form and spammy to do multiple posts responding to multiple people instead of putting all replies in one post.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 12:08:09 »
Blackroom has been "Paused"

http://www.gamezone.com/news/john-romero-s-new-fps-blackroom-has-its-kickstarter-canceled-3436557

The pitch was weaksauce, which is the reason that this is not a surprise to me.

Seems to be going back to actually have something playable to show:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightworkgames/blackroom-a-new-fps-from-romero-and-carmack/description

From the link:

You asked for it, and you’re getting it: a gameplay demo of BLACKROOM.

The team is at work on a demo which demonstrates the kind of gameplay, look and innovative, cool features that make BLACKROOM truly unique — the things we’ve waited years to put into an FPS and which make us incredibly excited about this game.

There’s a hitch here, a hitch that’s making us do something that’s right for the game, the team, and the community: we’re pressing “PAUSE” on the fundraising campaign for BLACKROOM to complete this gameplay demo. Simply put, this will take more time than the Kickstarter has left, so we’ve decided to suspend the campaign and launch a new one when the gameplay demo is ready. We believe, however, it is the right choice. We know you do, too. Thanks to your feedback, we know we should have included it at launch.

To all of our backers: your support has been incredible and valuable. We will, of course, honor backer achievements in the next campaign (and an extra something for those of you who continue to support us in the next campaign).

While we're working on the first gameplay demo, we welcome you to stay in touch with us at nightworkgames.com and @nightworkgames. Sign up for our newsletter for regular updates. You’re also welcome to email us at info@nightworkgames.com.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2016, 12:09:45 by chuckdee »