Author Topic: West Coast Intro  (Read 4120 times)

Offline TeeBaginDragon

West Coast Intro
« on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 15:45:25 »
Hi everyone!

Just started out in the mechanical keyboard world, and so far its been a blast!   
Hope to learn lots and help out where I can.

CODE Clears 87

Offline Dongulator

Re: West Coast Intro
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 16:34:24 »
west coast is the best coast

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 16:53:31 »
^ this guy knows whats up lol
CODE Clears 87

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 April 2016, 20:21:53 »
Welcome :)

If you're in the PNW, Dong's planning a meetup :rolleyes:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:48:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have you bought a mechanical keyboard yet, or still gathering information?

If the latter - go with what your gut says, whatever you get will be a big step up from the old rubber dome keyboards you've probably been using.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 19:53:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If the latter - go with what your gut says, whatever you get will be a big step up from the old rubber dome keyboards you've probably been using.

Thanks for the welcome!  I currently use a Code Keyboard with MX clears at work.  I got into this whole mechanical keyboard world cause my coworker let me give his Das Keyboard a go.  Once I saw the price, I said no way and went with the Code Keyboard from massdrop.  But now the funny thing is, I find I am wanting to build my own keyboard which would be more expensive than the Das Keyboard...I can see how this can become a dangerous hobby lol  ;) what keyboard do you use?

Thanks!  Unfortunately I am not in the PNW, but perhaps you can tell me what meetups are like?

CODE Clears 87

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:28:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks for the welcome!  I currently use a Code Keyboard with MX clears at work.  I got into this whole mechanical keyboard world cause my coworker let me give his Das Keyboard a go.  Once I saw the price, I said no way and went with the Code Keyboard from massdrop.  But now the funny thing is, I find I am wanting to build my own keyboard which would be more expensive than the Das Keyboard...I can see how this can become a dangerous hobby lol  ;) what keyboard do you use?

Thanks!  Unfortunately I am not in the PNW, but perhaps you can tell me what meetups are like?

I get that. My eyes have been on ergodox info for a few months now, and recently I've been really interested in all that winkeyless.kr has to offer
Chris Schammert

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:46:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I get that. My eyes have been on ergodox info for a few months now, and recently I've been really interested in all that winkeyless.kr has to offer

Yeah! Winkeyless has also caught my eye.  Speaking of, perhaps you can answer a question for me.  I read the guide on winkeyless about what is needed to make a keyboard so I think I understand what I need to purchase, but what happens if I want to use a different set of switches than what is offered?  I am assuming I would need to buy the PBC without the switches then solder on my own?
CODE Clears 87

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:57:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yeah! Winkeyless has also caught my eye.  Speaking of, perhaps you can answer a question for me.  I read the guide on winkeyless about what is needed to make a keyboard so I think I understand what I need to purchase, but what happens if I want to use a different set of switches than what is offered?  I am assuming I would need to buy the PBC without the switches then solder on my own?

AFAIK you can order a PCB without switches. I think None is the dropdown menu default for everything, so if you have switches or you want to use switches from another site then make sure the switch option is set to None. I've watched a few youtube videos of people with winkeyless.kr boards and they all sound amazingly solid
Chris Schammert

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 22:15:24 »
what part of the best coast are you from.

REPRESENT
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 00:06:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

AFAIK you can order a PCB without switches. I think None is the dropdown menu default for everything, so if you have switches or you want to use switches from another site then make sure the switch option is set to None. I've watched a few youtube videos of people with winkeyless.kr boards and they all sound amazingly solid

Ahh cool, I'll look in to it some more.  It would be awesome if I could just put in my own switches without soldering..Thanks!

what part of the best coast are you from.

Show Image

REPRESENT

I'm from the Bay!  :D
CODE Clears 87

Offline murkey

• murkey's alpaca farm
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 00:12:55 »
Welcome from the East Bay :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 05:39:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I use a CODE keyboard, also from Massdrop, at work.  A TKL with MX clears.

At home I alternate between most of the keyboards on the list in my signature, mainly quieter ones during the working week (so I don't keep everyone up all night and early in the morning) and the noisy ones during the weekends.  Currently using my HHKB :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 11:37:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

At home I alternate between most of the keyboards on the list in my signature, mainly quieter ones during the working week (so I don't keep everyone up all night and early in the morning) and the noisy ones during the weekends.  Currently using my HHKB :)

Nice!  Our work keyboards are the same lol have you by chance ever tried out any Zealios switches?  I am planning to get some but I am not too sure if I should get the 78g or the 65/67g versions...  :confused:

Welcome from the East Bay :D

YEEAAAAAA BOOOIIIII!!! Welcome!
CODE Clears 87

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 05:43:34 »

Nice!  Our work keyboards are the same lol have you by chance ever tried out any Zealios switches?  I am planning to get some but I am not too sure if I should get the 78g or the 65/67g versions...  :confused:

No, I haven't tried Zealios.  That would probably involve building a keyboard, and it's taking me forever to get started with my M122 project, never mind trying to find all the parts to make another keyboard :))

What weight you should get is entirely subjective.  Lots of people prefer heavier switches, lots prefer lighter switches.  I prefer heavier, but sometimes I feel that MX clears are just a little bit too heavy, especially when I'm tired.  But I would be tempted by the 78g ;)

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 13:04:50 »

No, I haven't tried Zealios.  That would probably involve building a keyboard, and it's taking me forever to get started with my M122 project, never mind trying to find all the parts to make another keyboard :))

What weight you should get is entirely subjective.  Lots of people prefer heavier switches, lots prefer lighter switches.  I prefer heavier, but sometimes I feel that MX clears are just a little bit too heavy, especially when I'm tired.  But I would be tempted by the 78g ;)

I was thinking the same thing in regards to the MX Clears.  I've been doing a lot of research on the Zealios since there is a GB going on and it looks like the 78g is the switch for me.  I think in one of Zeals reddit posts he mentioned that the 78g bottoms out at that force where a MX Clear bottom outs at 95-100g and many times the 78g is referred to as a lighter clear, so I think I'll get the switches and figure out the rest of the board later lol... ;)
CODE Clears 87