Author Topic: Small Batch ABS or Resin Cherry Profile Caps  (Read 1163 times)

Offline timerwin63

Small Batch ABS or Resin Cherry Profile Caps
« on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 07:06:56 »
Hello all,

It's recently come to my attention that there's a chance I may soon have the ability to make plastic injection molds for caps. Due to personal preference, these will likely be Cherry profile and thick, and the largest sets I'd make would be for TKL boards. If I do decide to pursue this, it'd be a very small project, and I'd probably work on extremely customized sets, likely in resin (although I've never used resin caps, so I'm not sure about that). These will not be artisans, but full sets, fitting 60%, 65%, 75%, and TKL boards (likely in 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, as I don't have any R5 keys to test out).

I'm wondering if anyone has information regarding the process of creating double-shot molds. Primarily, I'd like to know the process for the legends, as I believe the rest of the cap would be a simple process after figuring out legends. If it turns out the raw material costs would be too high to handle on my own, I'd scrap the doubleshot idea and go with blanks, which would also increase my production capacity.

Additionally, it'd be amazing to have accurate renders of Cherry profile caps. I couldn't find any on the forum or on most CAD sites, and while I could work on them myself, my CAD work has been very hit or miss. I don't really have the equipment to get accurate measurements while I'm away from college, so any help there would be greatly appreciated. If I could get these, I could get started working on the molds as soon as I returned after the summer.

To be clear very clear, I'd simply like to gauge interest in the small-scale (30-50 sets a run at most, possibly) production of some (hopefully) high-quality cap sets. This would let people like me get the colorways they want without having to start a buy with a large manufacturer who would require large MOQs, just to have their hopes dashed when they can't find enough buyers.

I'd love any feedback you'd like to give me, as well as any help or advice I can get. I don't want to hear about how this project will be cost-prohibitive, however. I'm aware of how expensive it's likely to be, and I'm fully willing to lay down the money.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 08:48:28 by timerwin63 »
Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.