Author Topic: Where to buy "membrane" microswitches? Ergodox/Trackpoint mod in progress.  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Tye

I'm back with more questions! I've searched all over so I either don't know what to call these things or don't know where to look.

I'm adding a Trackpoint to an Ergodox. The trackpoint part is successful. Now I'm adding mouse buttons.

Here's my idea for the button. You can see the Trackpoint stalk in the upper right already installed:
136078-0
136080-1

Here is a picture of the scavenged buttons from my keyboard victim. I am looking for some sort of VERY thin membrane switch like the keyboard has in this picture. Unfortunately, I can't remove the membranes from the keyboard's metal frame:
136082-2

I already have some thin round microswitches that I ordered from Amazon but they turned out to be WAY too stiff. The rubber membrane that supports the mouse buttons can't reliably push the top of the microswitch because of the stiffness. I think they are basically purpose built for the membrane type switch:
136084-3

So, what do I call these little, thin, easy to push switches. Where can I buy them?

And, of course, I'm always open to alternate ideas. I haven't figured out a clever way to use a traditional push button microswitch because the space is so tight but I'd love to brainstorm on it if anyone has ideas!
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 18:03:44 by Tye »

Offline Tye

One more picture of the type of switch that is already on the original keyboard's frame. I don't know where to purchase something like this:
136086-0

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Tye

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, it probably won't work.

I really want to try to keep all three buttons working so I'll have mouse scroll. However, the bigger problem is that, by my best guess, that unit is about 75mm long. At most, I have 65mm to work with, and 45mm would be even more ideal.

I'm looking at the spec sheet for the Cherry ML miniature switches to see if I can cram them in there somehow. Please do post any other ideas! I'll keep searching...

Offline Anole

You could cut out that piece of the membrane.

Offline Tye

I'd like to reuse the membrane on the Lenovo keyboard but I've not successfully managed to remove a set and solder/reuse them. These things were obviously made to be manufactured once and totally replaced if anything goes wrong.

I think I've come up with a clever solution using normal microswitches, a model airplane aileron hinge, and a stripboard. I'll repurpose the cursor keys from the Lenovo keyboard. This would keep the whole button unit modular so I can (hopefully) remove it and try other ideas in the future without rebuilding the entire keyboard. I'm pretty excited about this idea.

136290-0
136292-1
136294-2