Author Topic: Cordless Phone  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Shapey Fiend

Cordless Phone
« on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 07:12:11 »
I have a modern BT phone I use in the office quite a bit that's absolute garbage. Every time you dial a number the phone wobbles in its dock and everything about it is cheap and nasty.

I'm thinking I need to go back to the 90's and 80's when phones were phones. Having a look at ebay and there's some on there but I'm not seeing quite the model for me. Gotta give it a bit of time.

Anybody know if these things generally came with handsfree mode? That's kind of an essential.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Cordless Phone
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 07:35:06 »
I have been using Panasonic phones, corded and wireless, for years and they have proven to be comfortable and dependable.

My favorite is still my full-size corded Easa-Phone landline that sits on my desk (full-size old-style handset that you can realistically hold on your shoulder, speaker, mute, hold, over a dozen 1-touch speed dial buttons .... )
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:43:59 »
Just because you experienced one shítty product doesn't mean that they aren't any good ones made any more. You really don't have to go back into the 80 and 90s to fine a decent quality phone, that's a bit silly, and I am saying that as somebody who uses typewriter's and analogue cameras. I would love to actually be able to recommend you a certain brand or product, but that's not my speciality, I am sorry. I only know that Olympia used to, and still makes some decent business related products, things like calculators, typewriters usw. They make tons of stuff nowadays, I don't know if they make phones tho. Just by searching "best cordless telephone" on Google I found this: http://cordless-phones-review.toptenreviews.com/
Perhaps that helps. These are going to be more useful then something from the 80s in any case lol. When it comes to electronic technology and communication, there is nothing wrong with taking advantage of modern progress.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:52:23 by Olumin »

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 14:43:19 »
I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek but I do think the styling on those ones you linked is rather bland. A lot of modern electronics have gotten very trashy these days. Before things got so affordable and commoditised they spent more money on design, finish and durability. I actually checked amazon reviews on the BT one I bought a couple of years ago because I'd two before that stopped working. This ones failing now too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2016, 14:44:54 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 20:42:19 »
I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek but I do think the styling on those ones you linked is rather bland. A lot of modern electronics have gotten very trashy these days. Before things got so affordable and commoditised they spent more money on design, finish and durability. I actually checked amazon reviews on the BT one I bought a couple of years ago because I'd two before that stopped working. This ones failing now too.

While that may be true for most devices targeted to the  majority of the consumer market, it always depends on how much money you are willing to spend on it, and what your expectations are. While older devices might offer you more durable materials, they may very well lack in functionality and connectivity and therefore convenience compared to a more modern device. Its always a compromise. Also considerer that a old device might be broken or near the end if its lifespan when you get it, and therefore, regardless of its build quality, might not last you as long as a new device.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 17:36:12 »
There are all entirely sensible, practical factors you're raising but it's 5 minutes till the markets closing and I need to call my broker to get more Pets.com stock. I don't have time for wires. What do I do? I pick up my trusty beige Sony SPP.

I'm also feelin' the B&O models right now.