Suh doods...

Current mk
CM QFR cherry blues (daily)
KC60 gateron red (gaming)
Ajazz AK33 (secondary)

Incoming mk
WKL b.mini gateron clears
I:C Ergodox gateron browns from MD

Just here looking at interesting builds and SA kcs.

Back to lurking...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: FNG
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 05:46:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

QFR's pretty solid, and I have KC with MX red - I wonder how different it is with Gateron red.  Haven't heard of the Ajazz :))

There's lots of keycap sets - any plans to customise your keyboards with a set?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 10:16:54 »
Thanks for the welcome.

The reds I'm liking for fps' but less so for other games that don't require a light touch or fast movements. I imagine there are more similarities than differences between the cherry and gateron.

The Ajazz...not the biggest fan of it other than the layout. The b.mini I have coming in will probably replace the QFR as the daily if the gateron clears are as I hope they are.

I'm in for the jukebox SA drop so that may end up being my first SA set unless I can find another. It seems the SA's are all limited runs or hard to find unless someone can point me in the right direction.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 05:58:34 »
SA sets are generally limited runs.  The two I have were made once, and only once (Nuclear Data Green and Hack'd by Geeks).

Although there's a lot more SA sets around these days.  If you watch classifieds you might find a set of two turning up for sale from time to time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:10:27 »
Welcome. Oh man, keep me updated when you get the B. Mini! Let me know how you like those clears, I'm torn between gateron greens or clears
Chris Schammert

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:08:36 »
SA sets are generally limited runs.  The two I have were made once, and only once (Nuclear Data Green and Hack'd by Geeks).

Although there's a lot more SA sets around these days.  If you watch classifieds you might find a set of two turning up for sale from time to time.
Thanks, yeah I've been keeping my eye out.

It seems there's enough demand for them to be in constant production though it could be because they're rare that there is that demand?

Welcome. Oh man, keep me updated when you get the B. Mini! Let me know how you like those clears, I'm torn between gateron greens or clears

Will do. I wouldn't be able to tell you how gateron greens would be but I'll give my impressions on how the clears feel over gateron browns, reds and cherry blues.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:42:44 by tacnificent »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:49:06 »

Thanks, yeah I've been keeping my eye out.

It seems there's enough demand for them to be in constant production though it could be because they're rare that there is that demand?

It's more a case of the cost for a small run being a bit excessive.  Group buys work because lots of people want to buy the sets, so the manufacturer can setup their equipment and get the right coloured plastic in and do one large run, rather than setting everything up for just a few sets.

Most people who buy in are unlikely to buy a second set, so some time has to pass until there is enough interest to do another big run.

Sometimes Pimp My Keyboard will make some extra sets and sell them in their online store.

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 10:00:01 »
It's more a case of the cost for a small run being a bit excessive.  Group buys work because lots of people want to buy the sets, so the manufacturer can setup their equipment and get the right coloured plastic in and do one large run, rather than setting everything up for just a few sets.

Most people who buy in are unlikely to buy a second set, so some time has to pass until there is enough interest to do another big run.

Sometimes Pimp My Keyboard will make some extra sets and sell them in their online store.
Makes sense considering the esoteric nature of this hobby.

Considering most consumer goods are made in the 6 digit plus category, even a thousand sets of keycaps may not be worth a mfr. time and effort.

I did order the Filco doubleshots and that may satiate the itch a little until the jukebox is being made :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:25:02 »

Makes sense considering the esoteric nature of this hobby.

Considering most consumer goods are made in the 6 digit plus category, even a thousand sets of keycaps may not be worth a mfr. time and effort.

I did order the Filco doubleshots and that may satiate the itch a little until the jukebox is being made :D

Exactly!

Although the GMK MOQ is usually around 250 for common colours/sets, and 500 for those that are more unusual.

SP/PMK usually has lower MOQ, but still at least 50 or 100 sets.

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:27:02 »
Filco doubleshots in my (for now) daily QFR with the OE nav an Fn keys for comparison

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:33:20 »
Filco doubleshots in my (for now) daily QFR with the OE nav an Fn keys for comparison

Show Image

Lookn' good!
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 05:48:04 »

Show Image

Spherical joy :D

Offline tacnificent

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 17:35:25 »
Lookin' good feelin' good  :cool: :thumb:

With the OE keycaps it felt a little hollow, now they feel solid.

The way it's going, I'll be in for many future SA group buys  :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:01:22 »
Lookin' good feelin' good  :cool: :thumb:

With the OE keycaps it felt a little hollow, now they feel solid.

The way it's going, I'll be in for many future SA group buys  :eek:

There's a lot of plastic in SA keycaps!