Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3404 times)

Offline zutroy

Hello
« on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 13:54:46 »
I'm fairly new to geekhack, so just wanted to say hello to everyone. Been lurking around various threads to learn more, get new ideas, and score some good deals (which I already have, thanks to the excellent classifieds and GB boards).

From the U.S. but currently living in Canada. Hope to continue learning and maybe will interact more once I feel a bit more comfortable.

Cheers :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:34:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

What keyboard/s have you got?  What are your favourite switches?

One easy way to get started is to browse through the media section and post the occasional compliment.  Or, if you're more technically minded, have a look through other geeky stuff or making stuff together - there's bound to be some threads you can contribute to there :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zutroy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 09:27:18 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

One easy way to get started is to browse through the media section and post the occasional compliment.  Or, if you're more technically minded, have a look through other geeky stuff or making stuff together - there's bound to be some threads you can contribute to there :)

Thanks, rowdy!

Right now I'm using a Filco TKL with Cherry MX browns. Have tried linear (MX black/red), and I think I prefer tactile so far. I'm looking to dip my toes into Topre, though, with a Novatouch on the way—I hear it's a blessing and a curse, as many can't go back to Cherry afterwards  :))

I've also used Matias Quiet Clicks in the past on a Quiet Pro Mac, but that board has long been sold.

Thanks for the suggested reading material! I'm somewhat "technically minded," and for my first very minor mod, I'm waiting on a Filco cord that has a USB mini connector break in it to make the cord more or less removable. Should be arriving any day now!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:22:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks, rowdy!

Right now I'm using a Filco TKL with Cherry MX browns. Have tried linear (MX black/red), and I think I prefer tactile so far. I'm looking to dip my toes into Topre, though, with a Novatouch on the way—I hear it's a blessing and a curse, as many can't go back to Cherry afterwards  :))

I've also used Matias Quiet Clicks in the past on a Quiet Pro Mac, but that board has long been sold.

Thanks for the suggested reading material! I'm somewhat "technically minded," and for my first very minor mod, I'm waiting on a Filco cord that has a USB mini connector break in it to make the cord more or less removable. Should be arriving any day now!

Removable cables are great - as long as you're careful unplugging it.

Novatouch is a Topre keyboard, but some say it pales in comparison to a RealForce, especially a 55g RealForce (the Novatouch being 45g).  I haven't tried either (only my HHKB), so I can't vouch for that directly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zutroy

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 15:40:50 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks, rowdy!

Removable cables are great - as long as you're careful unplugging it.

Novatouch is a Topre keyboard, but some say it pales in comparison to a RealForce, especially a 55g RealForce (the Novatouch being 45g).  I haven't tried either (only my HHKB), so I can't vouch for that directly.

Yeah, I figure the Novatouch will be a good way to experience Topre without dropping $200+

Ultimately, if I really enjoy Topre, I think I'd set my sights on a Leopold FC660C for the compact form factor.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 02:25:27 »
I'm planning on buying a NovaTouch as well! I'd rather pay $150 for a decent Topre board now and then spend another $50 for a good PBT set later.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 05:56:03 »
To both of you ( especially) a RealForce comes with PBT keycaps (except space bar) and costs around $200: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards

If you plan to spend that much eventually, the RealForce is said to be much better than the Novatouch.

Of course if MX keycap compatibility is more important (an almost infinitely greater range of keycap sets available) then a Novatouch will save having to transplant all the sliders in a RealForce.

Offline zutroy

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:48:27 »
To both of you ( especially) a RealForce comes with PBT keycaps (except space bar) and costs around $200: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards

If you plan to spend that much eventually, the RealForce is said to be much better than the Novatouch.

Of course if MX keycap compatibility is more important (an almost infinitely greater range of keycap sets available) then a Novatouch will save having to transplant all the sliders in a RealForce.

Yeah, it's mostly about MX keycap compatibility for me. My thought is that I'll give the Novatouch a try, and if I really like Topre, I can go for a Leopold down the road and transplant the sliders. Small steps  :D

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, rowdy!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:43:10 »
Welcome :)

I was seriously considering a Novatouch until I became aware of artisan keycap stem shapes. Some are made to only fit a Cherry MX keycap, some are to only fit Topre. I'd take a guess that they design them this way for durability. You can find Topre to Cherry MX sliders on Shapeways if you just want to convert a few RF/HHKB keys. Still not fully compatible with Artisan keycaps, even matt3o's slider is a topre/cherry mx hybrid stem.

Novatouch's come close to Realforce with a little bit of dampening and hard work. And if you REALLY need a true Topre slider you have to option to buy a Realforce 'switch tester' off Ebay that you could possibly disassemble? I'll have to try that one day *rubs hands together gif*
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 00:01:11 »

Yeah, it's mostly about MX keycap compatibility for me. My thought is that I'll give the Novatouch a try, and if I really like Topre, I can go for a Leopold down the road and transplant the sliders. Small steps  :D

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, rowdy!

No worries :)

MX-compatuble Topre sliders should be available from a couple of places in the not too distant future, so that option becomes more feasible.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 00:03:47 »