Author Topic: Central Virginia  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Macpants

Central Virginia
« on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 23:46:10 »
Hi there folks, from the Shenandoah Valley. I'm in the process of building myself my own keyboard and it's looking like quite the project. I'm excited to dive in and learn all I can from all of you. See you around!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Central Virginia
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 05:52:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which keyboard are you building?  Is it one of the kits available, or one you have designed yourself?

Either way have a browse through the making stuff together section to see design ideas, build logs and lots of tips and tricks about keyboard construction.

There's also the recommended reading thread, where there's a few linke (e.g. soldering) that may be of interest.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 06:20:17 »
Hey I'm in Northern Virginia and looking to do the same! I've got all the tools ready and just bought a 60% kit on Aliexpress! Should have it within a month! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Macpants

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 16:03:25 »
Hey thanks, Rowdy!
I was hoping to compile my own parts. I'm looking for a TKL because I'm realizing how seldomly I use that keypad, just sitting there taking up space.
Right now, I've picked (no purchases yet, hence why I'm here to learn shtuff)-
  • Gateron brown switches
  • Phantom board
  • Teensy 2.0 controller
  • Haven't decided on keycaps yet, but I'm leaning toward PBT for texture and durability
  • Custom fab-ed case, but that's a worry for later on
I'm only guessing what I might want, since this is seems largely subjective from person to person but I also want to make sure my money goes in the right places. :)

I'll definitely check those links out!

Hi MediocreBadGuy, show us some pics! I'd love to see your progress.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 16:15:07 »
nova bro here. its exciting to hear you are fabing your own. definitely take some pics

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 06:49:15 »
Welcome. I was looking at the phantom kit yesterday and couldn't help but notice that the case lacks the standoffs for securing the switch plate. Clamping power I guess? It's a shame; I can see why you would want to have your own case fabricated.
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:28:25 »
Hey thanks, Rowdy!
I was hoping to compile my own parts. I'm looking for a TKL because I'm realizing how seldomly I use that keypad, just sitting there taking up space.
Right now, I've picked (no purchases yet, hence why I'm here to learn shtuff)-
  • Gateron brown switches
  • Phantom board
  • Teensy 2.0 controller
  • Haven't decided on keycaps yet, but I'm leaning toward PBT for texture and durability
  • Custom fab-ed case, but that's a worry for later on
I'm only guessing what I might want, since this is seems largely subjective from person to person but I also want to make sure my money goes in the right places. :)

I'll definitely check those links out!

Hi MediocreBadGuy, show us some pics! I'd love to see your progress.

Sounds like a good start.

Keycaps are the most easily changed component should you decide on something else later on.

And yes, it is exactly subjective.  If you can try a few boards out first, get a feel for different switches etc., it would save the agony of soldering 87 wrong switches in ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ