Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 2158 times)

Offline odysseusgiacosa

Hello everyone!
« on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 04:37:13 »
Hi everyone. My name's Konstantinos (from Greece), and Odysseus Giacosa is the handle I've chosen for virtual reality projects. I happen to have three IBM Model M (1931401) 'boards; the oldest one is from 1989, the youngest is from 1993 or 1994. I'm currently looking to get them to work with my current desktop's motherboard, an ASUS Z97-K. And I'd also like to collaborate with others on putting together a machine with a '90s workstation look for everyday work.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 05:00:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If they have an SDL port, then it should just work.  You can either use an SDL to PS/2 cable plus a PS/2 to USB adaptor, or an SDL to USB cable.

TechKeys has a PS/2 to USB adaptor that has worked for me: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter

And orihalcon makes SDL to USB cables: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-to-SDL-6-Pin-6ft-IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp-Model-M-Clicky-Keyboard-Cable-NEW-/271367683396

orihalcon's cables are great - plug it in and it just works!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline odysseusgiacosa

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 07:14:08 »
Hi, and thank you for your reply.

Yes, they have an SDL port, and I've tried the PS/2 to USB adaptor sold by Clicky Keyboards. However, it just didn't work, as the motherboard doesn't provide enough power. I'm more inclined to try orihalcon's SDL to USB cable, although I'll first ask if he's tested his solution with that particular motherboard.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 11:11:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

If they have an SDL port, then it should just work.  You can either use an SDL to PS/2 cable plus a PS/2 to USB adaptor, or an SDL to USB cable.

TechKeys has a PS/2 to USB adaptor that has worked for me: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter

And orihalcon makes SDL to USB cables: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-to-SDL-6-Pin-6ft-IBM-Lexmark-Unicomp-Model-M-Clicky-Keyboard-Cable-NEW-/271367683396

orihalcon's cables are great - plug it in and it just works!

Out of stock! booo, the cable looks so damn clean though :'(
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 05:38:48 »
orihalcon is a member here - send him a PM and ask (politely) if he will be making any more.

I have one and it's fantastic - both my SSKs and my one full size Model M with an SDL port all work fine on my Mac.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline odysseusgiacosa

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 08:55:06 »
Thank you, everyone. I'm writing him a PM right now.