Author Topic: In hopes of diversifying Geekhack  (Read 24354 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: In hopes of diversifying Geekhack
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 15:56:38 »
Do we need a hispanic mod for some reason?  It might be best to lead with the problem before offering a solution.
Wow! Really Hoff? I expected more from you. This is like saying "Do we need racial diversity?", I am appalled by your statement. I believe Geekhack should have a seminar on racial diversity so all moderator of geekhack are more conscious about other race and cultures. I believe demik has the potential to teach you guys about racial equality.

If by some bizarro chance this is not a troll statement, please send me a PM.

Actual diversity is a great thing.  But why is it always about the color of our skin?  Why not diversity in height, hair color, religion, social class, etc? 

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:01:07 »
Should we take into account how many times a user has been muted when considering them for moderators?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:02:11 »
*shots fired*

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:03:55 »
* HoffmanMyster mutes the entire mod team

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:05:10 »
Wow! Really Hoff? I expected more from you. This is like saying "Do we need racial diversity?", I am appalled by your statement. I believe Geekhack should have a seminar on racial diversity so all moderator of geekhack are more conscious about other race and cultures. I believe demik has the potential to teach you guys about racial equality.
Amen brother! Your righteousness is truly reminiscent of this other A* post!!!

A lot of us would really appreciate it if you take this time to mature and think about how blatantly racist jokes can effect other members of our multi-cultural community.

If you think that it's an inconvenience to be banned from slack and that singing Disney songs is the right way to make amends... then I don't think you understand the real hardships that the targets of your joke went through and the pain that their descendants feel to this day. Hint: it's some of the worst **** that has ever happened to human beings.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:07:20 »
* hashbaz mutes everyone except hashbaz

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:09:33 »
Should we take into account how many times a user has been muted when considering them for moderators?

Lol, I've never been muted soooo  :rolleyes:

Do we need a hispanic mod for some reason?  It might be best to lead with the problem before offering a solution.

If by some bizarro chance this is not a troll statement, please send me a PM.

Actual diversity is a great thing.  But why is it always about the color of our skin?  Why not diversity in height, hair color, religion, social class, etc? 
Pm sent.
Because people are usually discriminated by the color of their skin and culture.

We do actually take these things into account when considering mods. We have actively sought women and people that live outside the US for instance. We've had several mods from various Asian countries. And like reaper said, demik was one of the original generation of moderators.
I like this but you guys and gals forgot one continent of the world.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:13:13 »
The Mexican continent?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:14:13 »
The Mexican continent?
hey I said hispanic doesn't mean the new mod has to be mexican. mexico is a wasteland not continent

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:18:27 »
The Mexican continent?

I believe Mexico is part of the North American continent.  Time to finally get some North American mods!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:19:47 »
The Mexican continent?

I believe Mexico is part of the North American continent.  Time to finally get some North American mods!

:rolleyes: I was referring to south america they're Hispanic too you know. I am offended that you do not know this.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:24:41 »
:rolleyes: I was referring to south america they're Hispanic too you know. I am offended that you do not know this.

I can't believe you just erased Central America like that

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:30:03 »

Central America is the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent

http://www.indexmundi.com/map/?r=ca

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:30:08 »
The Mexican continent?

You are probably aware that we don't have many members originating from south america.  Perhaps we need more site-wide racial diversity, in addition to just the mod team?  Shall we start limiting the number of north american, european, asian, and australian/oceania members and offer incentives to south americans?  Surely that will fix the "problem".

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:32:27 »

Central America is the southernmost, isthmian portion of the North American continent

Doubling down. Typical.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:32:35 »
The Mexican continent?

Shall we start limiting the number of north american, european, asian, and australian/oceania members and offer incentives to south americans?  Surely that will fix the "problem".

SLOW DOWN MR.TRUMP`

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:33:06 »
demik's so short we should start calling him Paragraph because he's too short to be an essay. Easily the laziest Mexican I know, he's only got 4 jobs.

but seriously, demik's the juan dude you can always count on. He wrote the book on trolling, no scratch that, he wrote the Manual. When you open it it says "In queso emergency, remember it's nacho problem."

We started at the border now we here! demik 2016

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:33:46 »
I'm still waiting for that PM, by the way.  Until that time, this thread is considered a troll thread and being handled as such.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:35:59 »
By the way, thanks to apple's contributions in this thread, I'm pleased to announce that Hispanics are now ranked as the #2 biggest ****posters right behind Australians. You're almost beating the unbeatable; keep at it apple!!!
github

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:45:53 »
so am i a mod yet or what?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:46:47 »
demik's so short we should start calling him Paragraph because he's too short to be an essay. Easily the laziest Mexican I know, he's only got 4 jobs.

but seriously, demik's the juan dude you can always count on. He wrote the book on trolling, no scratch that, he wrote the Manual. When you open it it says "In queso emergency, remember it's nacho problem."

We started at the border now we here! demik 2016

that's it. i'm done with geekhack.

the level of cringe in this post is too much for me.

good bye geekhack.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:48:04 »
By the way, thanks to apple's contributions in this thread, I'm pleased to announce that Hispanics are now ranked as the #2 biggest ****posters right behind Australians. You're almost beating the unbeatable; keep at it apple!!!

who are you?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:49:23 »
mods may I please know why this discussion was moved to off topic?

You can remove the unnecessary responses and so we can discuss this diversity issue.
Funny thing is,  that was my point.   And I posted a serious response,  and your reaction....  Things that make you go hmmm...
Ugh people like you worry me. Remember that you are on the internet. I'm sorry if you are too socially inept to understand my ****posting. Just don't take me seriously.

People like you worry me.  Self-righteous, and you said in the original post that this was serious.  Then I said I was going to try to engage you on that level.

To that you respond with a ****post? In case you want to try to deny it again, I'll quote you.

Edit!
Disclaimer: This is a serious post, please refrain from **** posting. This is a serious attempt to diversify Geekhack.

Then mine... just for reference.

I hate that argument- diversification.  What are his qualifications?  Veteran user?  Knows how GeekHack works?  There are several people who fit that description.  Something else must differentiate him and make him a candidate other than the aegis of diversification.

(Trying to make a serious post in reply of the tone in the original post)

Have you ever thought that you don't know me?  You don't know what race I am?  Nor nationality?  And that saying that this is the Trump supporter might be in any way considered offensive?

Of course not.  Because only you have issues with being discriminated against.  And I will say, that if you respond to this with one of your flippant, not meant, flip flops, then I will go there.  And you'll look like an idiot.

The point still remains.  Anyone put in any position should be qualified, by more than their gender, race, creed, or nationality.  Should be qualified by more than cronyism or nepotism, nor any reason other than achievement.  If you were serious, which you said that you were, than I countered with a need for more qualifications than those that you quoted, which is a perfectly valid stance.  Quit asking for people to give you stuff.  No one has ever given me anything, and I've gone out of my way to make sure that I've never accepted anything that I've not earned.  In fact, I overachieve for just that reason.  So there can be no question that I did deserve it by merit.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation Where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

That goes both ways.  Discrimination should be neither given as an obstacle against, nor accepted as an advantage.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:51:39 by chuckdee »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 16:57:09 »

You can remove the unnecessary responses and so we can discuss this diversity issue.
Funny thing is,  that was my point.   And I posted a serious response,  and your reaction....  Things that make you go hmmm...
Ugh people like you worry me. Remember that you are on the internet. I'm sorry if you are too socially inept to understand my ****posting. Just don't take me seriously.

People like you worry me.  Self-righteous, and you said in the original post that this was serious.  Then I said I was going to try to engage you on that level.

To that you respond with a ****post? In case you want to try to deny it again, I'll quote you.

Edit!
Disclaimer: This is a serious post, please refrain from **** posting. This is a serious attempt to diversify Geekhack.

I hate that argument- diversification.  What are his qualifications?  Veteran user?  Knows how GeekHack works?  There are several people who fit that description.  Something else must differentiate him and make him a candidate other than the aegis of diversification.

Have you ever thought that you don't know me?  You don't know what race I am?  Nor nationality?  And that saying that this is the Trump supporter might be in any way considered offensive?

Of course not.  Because only you have issues with being discriminated against.  And I will say, that if you respond to this with one of your flippant, not meant, flip flops, then I will go there.  And you'll look like an idiot.

The point still remains.  Anyone put in any position should be qualified, by more than their gender, race, creed, or nationality.  Should be qualified by more than cronyism or nepotism, nor any reason other than achievement.  If you were serious, which you said that you were, than I countered with a need for more qualifications than those that you quoted, which is a perfectly valid stance.  Quit asking for people to give you stuff.  No one has ever given me anything, and I've gone out of my way to make sure that I've never accepted anything that I've not earned.  In fact, I overachieve for just that reason.  So there can be no question that I did deserve it by merit.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation Where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

That goes both ways.  Discrimination should be neither given as an obstacle against, nor accepted as an advantage.

i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or  you're in on the joke with apple.

you guys are seriously taking this way too serious. the whole thing was a joke. there is obviously no racism here. apple is obviously joking. the trump comment was just that.. a joke.

like god damn. do you guys NOT have a sense of humor?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:00:56 »

you guys are seriously taking this way too serious. the whole thing was a joke. there is obviously no racism here. apple is obviously joking. the trump comment was just that.. a joke.

When you put I'm serious in the original post... I'm going to assume you're serious.  I'm just funny that way, I suppose.  If the OP hadn't been edited to put that in, then I probably would have taken it as such also.  See where I'm going with this?  The posting doesn't jive with the words, and all cues indicate differently than what you say.  Especially because this didn't start as an offtopic thread.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:01:34 »
Just to say it: the intent of diversification efforts is to combat systemic and unconscious bias in the selection of leadership, and also to improve the atmosphere and effectiveness of institutions by having people of different backgrounds and perspectives present and able to affect decisions. It's a legitimate goal in its own right with real positive effects. Homogeneous groups tend to become myopic and echobox-ey.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:03:07 »

When you put I'm serious in the original post... I'm going to assume you're serious.  I'm just funny that way, I suppose.  If the OP hadn't been edited to put that in, then I probably would have taken it as such also.  See where I'm going with this?  The posting doesn't jive with the words, and all cues indicate differently than what you say.  Especially because this didn't start as an offtopic thread.

for christ's sake.

look at the picture. if that wasn't an indication this was a joke then i don't know what was.

the only requirement to be a mod should be that you aren't a **** head. i just so happen to be a **** head so that's why im not a mod.

THIS WAS A JOKE POST.

A JOKE.

APPLE WAS KIDDING.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:03:44 »

This whole thread is very clearly not serious. But the concerns and the topics raised are real and can be talked about if people want to discuss them.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:10:55 »
who are you?
Head of The Board for ****post Review. We've been looking at jaffers, tp4 and you closely.

This whole thread is very clearly not serious. But the concerns and the topics raised are real and can be talked about if people want to discuss them.
I do actually have one question in relation to a post made earlier by you :

We do actually take these things into account when considering mods. We have actively sought women and people that live outside the US for instance. We've had several mods from various Asian countries. And like reaper said, demik was one of the original generation of moderators.
Do you/the mod team think that "diversity" among the mod team is important for reasons other than timezones? I probably wouldn't be inclined to agree; our forum is almost entirely white/asian and male, and this is a keyboard forum after all. Does the mod team ever really encounter situations where the race/sex/nationality of the mods is of importance?
github

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:14:59 »
who are you?
Head of The Board for ****post Review. We've been looking at jaffers, tp4 and you closely.

well im offended im not under review. im like king **** poster. or do i have my own title and these 3 are peasants?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:16:52 »
well im offended im not under review. im like king **** poster. or do i have my own title and these 3 are peasants?
We classify you as the ring leader for the Hispanics. You guys have a clear hierarchy, with you at the top. Perhaps you should be wary of apple though, as he is exhibiting behaviour that suggests he wants to poise himself to take your position.

Funnily enough the Australians have no such structure; they are far less predictable.
github

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:20:25 »
We classify you as the ring leader for the Hispanics. You guys have a clear hierarchy, with you at the top. Perhaps you should be wary of apple though, as he is exhibiting behaviour that suggests he wants to poise himself to take your position.

Funnily enough the Australians have no such structure; they are far less predictable.

i'll destroy apple in a heartbeat. but he knows his place.

we are currently trying to form a truce with the aussies to become one nation under **** posts.

that's all i'll say for now.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:21:24 »

Doubling down. Typical.
stop turning this around on me  :'(

I'm still waiting for that PM, by the way.  Until that time, this thread is considered a troll thread and being handled as such.
loud and clear

More

Edit!

:))

im all for this, regardless of my poopoo posting
I all honesty I don't care about your ethnicity, gender, religion or sexuality. As long as you are alive we're fine(I don't mess with the dead). However, some people do worry me and yes I am referring to you chuckdee.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:24:15 by appleonama »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:22:10 »

we are currently trying to for a truce with the aussies to become one nation under **** posts.

stfu you are my hoe

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:23:21 »

we are currently trying to for a truce with the aussies to become one nation under **** posts.

stfu you are my hoe

typical mexican thinking. everything has to go back to gardening.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:25:29 »
Just to say it: the intent of diversification efforts is to combat systemic and unconscious bias in the selection of leadership, and also to improve the atmosphere and effectiveness of institutions by having people of different backgrounds and perspectives present and able to affect decisions. It's a legitimate goal in its own right with real positive effects. Homogeneous groups tend to become myopic and echobox-ey.

I don't disagree with anything you've said.  But inclusiveness?  Quotas?  That's combating the symptom, not the problem.  And when you bring up that point- most dismiss you as part of the problem.  I've seen the negative effects of trying to solve the problem by addressing the symptoms.  The underlying problem just gets worse.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:26:40 »

I don't disagree with anything you've said.  But inclusiveness?  Quotas?  That's combating the symptom, not the problem.  And when you bring up that point- most dismiss you as part of the problem.  I've seen the negative effects of trying to solve the problem by addressing the symptoms.  The underlying problem just gets worse.

tu eres de tejas?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:30:12 »

Not to mention that you're only addressing one factor of diversity - skin color.  Differing backgrounds and perspectives are incredibly beneficial, but using skin color to correlate that is just another form of racism itself... I went to high school with an incredibly "diverse" group of people who all came from wealthy suburban families, and were in fact not very diverse at all.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:30:39 »

You shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know. You end up very wrong in some cases- like this one.  And some (not me, by any means) might say that you reveal your own biases in these assumptions.  And it doesn't look very pretty.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:31:44 »

Not to mention that you're only addressing one factor of diversity - skin color.  Differing backgrounds and perspectives are incredibly beneficial, but using skin color to correlate that is just another form of racism itself... I went to high school with an incredibly "diverse" group of people who all came from wealthy suburban families, and were in fact not very diverse at all.

the only color that matters is the color of your theme.

BLACK BACKGROUND MASTER RACE

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:32:03 »
You shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know. You end up very wrong in some cases- like this one.  And some (not me, by any means) might say that you reveal your own biases in these assumptions.  And it doesn't look very pretty.
Shut up Sven.
github

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:32:41 »

It's too dark tho.  :-[

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:33:54 »

it's easier on the eyes

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:34:57 »

Got my high contrast black desktop theme + GH black background. My eyes don't bleed anymore :blank:
Chris Schammert

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:37:01 »
Do you/the mod team think that "diversity" among the mod team is important for reasons other than timezones? I probably wouldn't be inclined to agree; our forum is almost entirely white/asian and male, and this is a keyboard forum after all. Does the mod team ever really encounter situations where the race/sex/nationality of the mods is of importance?

Timezones is a big practical reason to look for non-US mods, yes. And I also think that diversity is valuable as I said above, so speaking for myself yes I do think it's helpful to seek out women and people of color. We don't have anything formal in place to ensure diversity, but it's something we've thought about and discussed when reviewing mod applications and deciding who we like and who brings what to the table. The white/straight/male majority has no issues expressing itself or being represented in leadership due to sheer numbers. Sometimes that majority can be ****ty as **** and the fact that we have (relatively) diverse leadership is valuable in determining what's ok to let slide and what isn't.

*spit-takes*

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:38:35 »

Timezones is a big practical reason to look for non-US mods, yes. And I also think that diversity is valuable as I said above, so speaking for myself yes I do think it's helpful to seek out women and people of color. We don't have anything formal in place to ensure diversity, but it's something we've thought about and discussed when reviewing mod applications and deciding who we like and who brings what to the table. The white/straight/male majority has no issues expressing itself or being represented in leadership due to sheer numbers. Sometimes that majority can be ****ty as **** and the fact that we have (relatively) diverse leadership is valuable in determining what's ok to let slide and what isn't.

*spit-takes*

it's okay im not racist im a minority

and i dont respect apple

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:41:09 »

Nobody mentioned quotas. Asking "why is there no hispanic mod?" says nothing about quotas.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:42:07 »
But inclusiveness?

Yeah, you're right. **** inclusiveness.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:42:53 »

*spit-takes*

and i dont respect apple

minorities can't be racist

and you think I do?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:44:56 »

*spit-takes*

and i dont respect apple

minorities can't be racist

and you think I do?
hell yeah you do.