Author Topic: In hopes of diversifying Geekhack  (Read 24353 times)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: In hopes of diversifying Geekhack
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:48:38 »
Timezones is a big practical reason to look for non-US mods, yes. And I also think that diversity is valuable as I said above, so speaking for myself yes I do think it's helpful to seek out women and people of color. We don't have anything formal in place to ensure diversity, but it's something we've thought about and discussed when reviewing mod applications and deciding who we like and who brings what to the table. The white/straight/male majority has no issues expressing itself or being represented in leadership due to sheer numbers. Sometimes that majority can be ****ty as **** and the fact that we have (relatively) diverse leadership is valuable in determining what's ok to let slide and what isn't.
Thanks for your response. You haven't quite satiated my curiosity though, and I'm hoping that you might be able to go into more detail. This really is only for my curiosity's sake though, so I'd understand if you'd rather not.

Specifically: I still wonder what kind of situations arise on this forum where having people of different backgrounds is beneficial. Could you give any examples?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:51:21 »
does anybody want to beat up apple?

i'll sell his address to the lowest bidder
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:00:06 »
Timezones is a big practical reason to look for non-US mods, yes. And I also think that diversity is valuable as I said above, so speaking for myself yes I do think it's helpful to seek out women and people of color. We don't have anything formal in place to ensure diversity, but it's something we've thought about and discussed when reviewing mod applications and deciding who we like and who brings what to the table. The white/straight/male majority has no issues expressing itself or being represented in leadership due to sheer numbers. Sometimes that majority can be ****ty as **** and the fact that we have (relatively) diverse leadership is valuable in determining what's ok to let slide and what isn't.
Thanks for your response. You haven't quite satiated my curiosity though, and I'm hoping that you might be able to go into more detail. This really is only for my curiosity's sake though, so I'd understand if you'd rather not.

Specifically: I still wonder what kind of situations arise on this forum where having people of different backgrounds is beneficial. Could you give any examples?

My 2 cents on the matter.

I've never considered these things personally when looking at mod applicants.  If someone comes from a unique background and it is relevant to their responses to the questions it may be considered for that reason, but I'm not personally concerned with these things myself.

That said, it can become useful when these sorts of issues do pop up on the forum.  If all members of the mod team come from a position of "privilege", they may look at a situation and see nothing wrong or not imagine the potential offense, etc.  Having someone that sees those particular issues from a different angle could be beneficial there, to shed some light on why it matters. 

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:00:14 »

Specific examples? The recent hubub about misogyny, or race issues when people like e.g., Krogenar was active a few years ago and making what a lot of people felt were very problematic statements. Homophobic posts from people like iri, for another example. When deciding what to do in these situations, it helps to have a broad variety of opinion and experience, ideally from a member of the demographic in question.

Offline iri

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:05:08 »
I nominate MOZ for a global mod -- he will represent both Asia and Africa.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:06:16 »

Specific examples? The recent hubub about misogyny, or race issues when people like e.g., Krogenar was active a few years ago and making what a lot of people felt were very problematic statements. Homophobic posts from people like iri, for another example. When deciding what to do in these situations, it helps to have a broad variety of opinion and experience, ideally from a member of the demographic in question.

can i be mod of apple? since we're the only mexicans i'd be the leading authority of his **** posting and will control him. but just him.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:13:50 »

can i be mod of apple? since we're the only mexicans i'd be the leading authority of his **** posting and will control him. but just him.

in other words a babysitter
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:14:52 »

you calling apple a baby?

you ageist asshat

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:19:50 »

you ageist asshat

babies aren't the only people in need of supervision

way to jump to conclusions
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:22:44 »

you ageist asshat

it's in the name :|

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:25:59 »

you ageist asshat

It's true, no adults have ever been kidnapped.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:26:22 »

you ageist asshat

It's true, no adults have ever been kidnapped.

you get it. and do you know why? because we dont have time to nap. too busy working

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:32:30 »
Am I supposed to take this serious thread seriously?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:33:21 »
Am I supposed to take this serious thread seriously?
yes

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:36:55 »

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:37:21 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:46:06 »
well this was fun

thank you to everyone who contributed

hoffman pm'd me regard the issue and I believe he will be choosing a hispanic mod in the next few days.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:50:08 »
Being super srs, I have to agree with hashbaz on this issue, I feel like there are situations where a more diverse group of people to moderate is a good thing. It gives a further grasp on certain situations that one person might have not really experienced, or can fully understand the implications of, and can lead to an overall better moderation system.

I'm sure there a plenty of people on the internet that would call be an 'SJW' for saying something like that, though.

But fo realz, I vote in favour of instating demik as a moderator. I fully trust him to do the job of moderating apple.  :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:54:25 »
What about a female mod... ??

Only one rule.. must post NEW smexy foto at least once a week..

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:12:36 »
Wow! Really Hoff? I expected more from you. This is like saying "Do we need racial diversity?", I am appalled by your statement. I believe Geekhack should have a seminar on racial diversity so all moderator of geekhack are more conscious about other race and cultures. I believe demik has the potential to teach you guys about racial equality.
Amen brother! Your righteousness is truly reminiscent of this other A* post!!!

A lot of us would really appreciate it if you take this time to mature and think about how blatantly racist jokes can effect other members of our multi-cultural community.

If you think that it's an inconvenience to be banned from slack and that singing Disney songs is the right way to make amends... then I don't think you understand the real hardships that the targets of your joke went through and the pain that their descendants feel to this day. Hint: it's some of the worst **** that has ever happened to human beings.

Really unsure of why you quoted me from another thread with no context. Cheers tho.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:15:42 »
I don't disagree with anything you've said.  But inclusiveness?  Quotas?  That's combating the symptom, not the problem.  And when you bring up that point- most dismiss you as part of the problem.  I've seen the negative effects of trying to solve the problem by addressing the symptoms.  The underlying problem just gets worse.

Nobody mentioned quotas. Asking "why is there no hispanic mod?" says nothing about quotas.

I'm talking about the situation in general.  Apparently, I was the only one who didn't get the memo that this was not supposed to be serious.  I mean, if you put serious in it, then some are going to assume that you mean it.  Words to mean things.  But you invited to have a real talk, and since this topic is one that I'd like to discuss in a rational manner, I tried to redirect to the topic of 'diversification' rather than anything to do with the OP.

But, why are there no hispanic mods, is just as racist as the other way around IMO, if not backed up with qualifications.  A better question to pose, IMO, is "I think X is a great choice for a mod because (list the reasons).  Also, she's X so it helps with the content of the moderation team."  "Why is there no hispanic mod?" speaks directly to quotas- that there should be one just because.  Then, as someone else points, out, you open the way to why are there no black, asian, indian, etc mods.  So for me the answer to such questions is, "there haven't been any applicants that satisfied the requirements that were of that specific ethnic group.  If anyone appeared that satisfied our objective criteria (and go into them if possible), then they would surely be on the short list for a position.  Do you have any suggestions that would fit that criteria and that demographic?"

Removing obstacles and exclusions for qualified applications.  Not including just because of some demographic.  That's where token came from, i.e. done for the sake of appearances or as a symbolic gesture.  Is it just gestures we're after?  Or a real discussion and solution?  Because with just a token in place, the conversation turns to "X was put in the position because she's Y", which overshadows the good work and the qualifications they might have.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:20:24 »
QUE??!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:20:57 »
I don't think I've seen a black geekhacker, now that you bring it up.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:28:55 »

just like the females, they have to hide because gh can't handle it

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:34:26 »
#anyonebutdemik

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:40:26 »

Show Image

Soooooo.............. Like....  any candidates ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:41:26 »

Show Image

Wha... Tp, did you just quote yourself... seriously ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:41:56 »

Show Image

Kahh... Yea I did so What ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 19:42:44 »

Show Image

S'ok calm down,  just checking..

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
In hopes of diversifying Geekhack
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:24:55 »

Show Image

Case in point re: Photek's question earlier.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:36:08 »
i remember when this thread was a joke thread

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:36:55 »

Was it hehe funny or haha funny?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
In hopes of diversifying Geekhack
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:41:07 »
RIP diversity joke thread. You were taken too soon.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:48:23 »

Was it hehe funny or haha funny?

ayy lmao funny.

now it's, i hate people funny

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:58:03 »
Thanks for your words hashbaz and Hoff. It helps a lot.

Really unsure of why you quoted me from another thread with no context. Cheers tho.

Amen brother! Your righteousness is truly reminiscent of this other A* post!!!

I did say why! Keep up the good work bub!

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:59:17 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 21:50:21 »
Show Image

lewd

Due to the lack of Hispanic representation on Geekhack I believe we should nominate Demik for moderator.

It's demik not Demik.

At least he got the poster right.
I am going to edit the poster to displease everyone

Change it to Comic Sans while you're at it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 21:53:49 »
Show Image

lewd

Due to the lack of Hispanic representation on Geekhack I believe we should nominate Demik for moderator.

It's demik not Demik.

Maybe throw some Wingdings in there too.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 22:25:35 »
Show Image

lewd

It's demik not Demik.

Maybe throw some Wingdings in there too.
3D Word Art
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 22:42:07 »

pinche bruja

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 22:42:08 »

Show Image

S'ok calm down,  just checking..

ruh roh, the robot is in a loop O.O

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 22:44:11 »

pinche bruja

Quick, someone hide beehatch, no one must know..

Offline iri

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 06:22:23 »
Go see tauburn then.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 06:30:47 »
Go see tauburn then.
Now there is a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Offline iri

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 07:11:03 »
Also, I think diversifying Geekhack with mods who aren't ****ed in the head is a great idea. Regardless of their race.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 09:56:19 »
this thread is a ****ing gold mine, holy ****
definitely a new high in geekhack ****posting
you've outdone yourself apple
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 10:18:46 »
Also, I think diversifying Geekhack with mods who aren't ****ed in the head is a great idea. Regardless of their race.

As a ****head.. I feel oppressed.

But that seems to be GH's current theme. Oppression.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 10:21:21 »

good point hmmm

geekhack is so narrow minded please get some black users in here.