Author Topic: Cheap mechanical keyboard  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Squalljericho

Cheap mechanical keyboard
« on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:51:21 »
Hello , my friend is going to be building a budget PC and wants know if there are any budget mechanical keyboards that are good and reliable .
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Cheap mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:53:50 »
It would help to know a dollar range.

As well as any desired features.

Offline Squalljericho

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:55:15 »
Sorry , anything under $100 no special functions .

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:56:17 »
And what size keyboard? 60%, TKL, full size?

Offline Squalljericho

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:58:07 »
Full size is what he wants

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 11:46:56 »
Dell AT101W, should be had second-hand for $30 or less. You might well find one lying around for free.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Squalljericho

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 11:47:37 »
Wow , I will look into it , thanks

Offline supamesican

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 12:16:54 »
Dell AT101W, should be had second-hand for $30 or less. You might well find one lying around for free.
seriously so many were made and its an actual decent board that isnt going to break the bank. can even be made in to a good linear board too.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 01:27:47 »

Wish I could find one down here for that price :))

How about a Model M?  I managed to get 2 for around $16, plus a little work on my side to make a cable for one of them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Squalljericho

Cheap mechanical keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 01:28:47 »
Not a bad idea but the last one I got was around $50 , where did you get yours ?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 01:50:19 »

Wish I could find one down here for that price :))

How about a Model M?  I managed to get 2 for around $16, plus a little work on my side to make a cable for one of them.
Model M is a superb keyboard, but if he is a gamer the Model M is not very pleasant to game on because of the 2KRO and quite stiff, very tactile switches. But for typing few keyboards beat it.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 11:04:45 »
seriously so many were made and its an actual decent board that isnt going to break the bank. can even be made in to a good linear board too.
Amen to that, if I were into linears I'd use it like no tommorow.

And the mod isn't even that hard:

The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 03:09:02 »
Not a bad idea but the last one I got was around $50 , where did you get yours ?

Me?

eBay, and the seller was local so I could drive around to collect them.

Both were missing cables (I fabricated a cable for one out of an old PS/2 cable and bought an orihalcon SDL to USB cable for the other).

Both were missing some keycaps - with a little patience and the right questions at the right time all keycaps have been obtained through GH.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline spremino

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:03:24 »
Where do you live?  Because the best deal depends on your country.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline Squalljericho

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 07:06:56 »
I am in the USA . I will have to see if there are any local sellers on eBay .

Offline phoible

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 09:18:27 »
If you want a new keyboard (and are ok with a 60% layout), the Magicforce 68 can be acquired for about $40 off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Mechanical-Keyboard-68-Keys-Magicforce/dp/B01ABUJ0FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465222487&sr=8-1&keywords=magicforce

Offline Krustyboomer

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 13:37:33 »
Redragon k551 on amazon.  Full size mechanical gaming for $60.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 14:27:09 »
If you want a new keyboard (and are ok with a 60% layout), the Magicforce 68 can be acquired for about $40 off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Mechanical-Keyboard-68-Keys-Magicforce/dp/B01ABUJ0FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465222487&sr=8-1&keywords=magicforce

Full size is what he wants