Author Topic: Y'all cost me a lot of $$$  (Read 2236 times)

Offline kentwilliam

• Design + Code.
Y'all cost me a lot of $$$
« on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 22:11:45 »
Hello,

I figured it was time to say hi—been lurking around here for the last two years as I've been going through my little story of getting first interested, then obsessed with keyboards, mice, and input ergonomics for computers in general.

It all started with getting a Quickfire Stealth with MX blues, thinking that the $90 price was *very* pricy back then. Little did I know how my perspective would change ... Since then, I've been through an MS Sculpt, which had great ergonomics but not-great chiclet switches (far worse than the Apple keyboards I've been using the last 7 years.)

After that, I spent a while trying to convince myself that I didn't really need a Topre, and then once I realized I needed a Topre, spending a lot of time wondering if I wanted the Leopold 660c or the HHKB2.

I got the latter ($240), and I love it—but contrary to what people have been saying, it wasn't the end game board I was hoping for. It's not so much that I don't enjoy the board—the switches are *fantastic* and the sound (space bar aside) is delicious. No, the problem is simply that I also enjoy the variety of life. And so I got myself an Apple Magic Keyboard ($100), which is, of course, not mechanical, and which feels *really* odd at first since there's close to no key travel. But I love it, and i think it's pretty much an equal to the HHKB2 in terms of quality. The reduced travel means it's probably the keyboard i can type the fastest on, which is sometimes its own peculiar kind of satisfaction.

But I wasn't done there. After having been to an SF meetup, it was clear to me that I was going to also need to get an ergo board of some sort, because if I didn't, I would always wonder about what could have been. And so a few months ago, I sprung another $160 on a very lightly used ErgoDox—this one with MX brown switches and DSA caps.

So here we are. Out of the three, the Ergodox is probably my favorite for prolonged typing, the HHKB2 is my favorite for key feel, and the Magic Keyboard is my favorite for the delicious feel of minimalism and just sheer flatness of the damn thing. None of them are endgame boards—if I type too long on any of them I start yearning for the benefits of one of the other ones.

So, I guess, thank you, and also damn you all. I didn't even know this world existed until the summer of 2014, and here I am with more keyboards than sense and a very angry wallet.

Now, if only I can find someone who will put together an ergodox-like with Topre switches and an additional row of keys ...
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 June 2016, 22:13:38 by kentwilliam »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Y'all cost me a lot of $$$
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 22:13:24 »
Check out the uTron keyboard.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 04:32:54 »
Check out the uTron keyboard.
Show Image

If you can find one only requires sacrificing of first born child as payment.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 15:01:43 »
Welcome. A custom fabricated PCB with capacitive pads for Topre springs/domes, and a custom plate for Topre sliders.. holy guacamole that would be a tiresome project :eek:
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 05:48:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Some people settle on just one keyboard as their "end game" keyboard (or maybe they just ran out of money), and others like to keep a small, varied collection of keyboards around.

I'm one of the latter, with a fairly wide variety of switches, but no 55g Topre, no Model F, and no Alps switches, so my search is not quite over yet.

I used to like the Apple aluminium keyboard and ended up with three of them before I discovered modern mechanical keyboards, and now when I try to use one of them it feels like I am banging my fingers on the desk, what with the low profile keyboard and very short travel distance.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 12:21:11 »
Welcome. A custom fabricated PCB with capacitive pads for Topre springs/domes, and a custom plate for Topre sliders.. holy guacamole that would be a tiresome project :eek:

Edit - Oh my, it's happening! Today LuX linked to a Topre Ergodox project that is currently in development (Deskthority)..
https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/designing-a-custom-topre-board-t11734.html
Chris Schammert