Author Topic: Topre cases for everyone! (looking for help)  (Read 1350 times)

Offline muon

Topre cases for everyone! (looking for help)
« on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 00:18:11 »
Hey GH,

I wanted to keep this a secret and then blow everyone's mind but I'm having a lot of financial/personal issues in my life including having to move cities three times in 2 months so in the interest of having this completed by the end of the year I'd like to crowdsource some help from you guys. I may have posited this to some of you on Slack, so bear with me.

Design

The plan is/was to 3D print or CNC out of polycarb some slider/stem housings, glue them into a plate, mount the PCB to the plate/housings, and have a plate/PCB platform with sliders sandwiched in between, ready for any sort of case to be built around it. Here's a picture of the housings to give you a better idea:

Collada render
More

Actual fit
More

I cut a stainless steel plate but unfortunately I screwed up the measurements and it didn't fit properly over my domes, which kind of sucked. Also, my 3D printer is broken and I can no longer continue to tweak the housing design to make sure it fits perfectly. I also had a decent working test model with a piece of acrylic and 20 housings or so and was working on different feels (more or less flex, actuation points, etc) but it was stolen when I was in a hostel  >:D

Plate v0.1
More

I still have a few STLs / DAEs lying around relevant to this project and would love to have someone's help if anyone's interested. I'm local to the Bay Area and am down to collaborate in person, though my Techshop membership has now expired so I'm lacking access to a lot of tools  :(

Would really love to see this project come to life - once we get the housings and plates right it should be really trivial to build out acrylic/wood/alu cases for Realforce / HHKB  :thumb: I'm 100% willing to print stem housings for spare change if I can get my printer back up and running.

« Last Edit: Sat, 11 June 2016, 00:21:10 by muon »