Author Topic: Which keycap puller should I get? (or should I get this one for $1?)  (Read 5813 times)

Offline ckar

I am planning to get a Filco keyboard but I read that the keycap puller is not good (is that still correct?)

Here is the filco:

Should I get this keycap pull for less than $1? (and why would this one be better than the filco puller?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231817430148?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or what other keycap puller do you recommend?

Thanks

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Re: Which keycap puller should I get? (or should I get this one for $1?)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 09:38:44 »
if anything the wire pullers are better than the ring pullers, atleast in my experience. You should be fine with the filco puller, I wouldnt know what would be wrong with it, if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 09:52:29 »
Wire keypullers such as the FILCO are better than anything else in my experience. Other types tend to scratch keycaps.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 09:54:16 »
Wire pullers for everything except NMB Hi-Teks (aka "Space Invaders").

That plastic ring puller is a good thing to keep on your key ring, by the way, and the elongated ones are better than the circles.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ckar

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 10:11:11 »
Then I guess I will stick with the Filco.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 16:19:57 »
Wire pullers for everything except NMB Hi-Teks (aka "Space Invaders").

That plastic ring puller is a good thing to keep on your key ring, by the way, and the elongated ones are better than the circles.
Actually, Chyros did a demonstration with a wire puller and the NMB's. You have to kind of pull it to the right instead of straight up.

Once one key is removed, you should have enough room to just pry the next key off with your fingers.

Offline E3E

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 16:43:48 »
My opinion?

Plastic pullers that are made of a very rigid plastic will scratch caps (though those scratches can be buffed as they are superficial). This is my favorite style of puller, and it doesn't leave any marks on caps from my experience. It well wear out over time though, but they're cheap as dirt.

I do not like wire pullers, at least not with Alps switches or any switches that hold on tightly to the caps. You may hear that the popular opinion against plastic pullers is that  they scratch caps, well the wire ones GOUGE the bottoms of caps if they fit on too tightly. If they are hard to pull off, you'd better believe that you'll notice indentions from the puller the next time you look at the bottom of the cap. 

Sure, you might not be able to see them normally, but that's unacceptable to me.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 17:06:41 »
filco keycap puller is more than good enough. where did u read that they aren't?

i have a leopold which is basically the same thing. ive had it since basically i came on here and it's been great.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 17:28:49 »
I have the Leopold, too, and I really like it. It has a "swollen" ridge near the front of the handle that makes it easier to hold onto.

The plastic ring pullers often have "legs" that are pretty thick and it can be hard to force them down between the keys. Unfortunately, although the skinnier-legged ones are easier to use, they are also more fragile. I prefer the type in the OP to the circular rings.

For "conventional" caps I use a wire puller and grab opposite corners and pull straight up. For 2-piece buckling spring caps you sometimes get both pieces if you aren't careful, but that doesn't really matter. Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" need to be grabbed on the sides, never the corners, or you will pull up the top of the switch body and they are fussy to put back together, besides the fact that you can lose springs.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 22:20:59 »
I use one similar to the one you posted, from WASD keyboards. I haven't had any issues with it.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:12:48 »
The plastic ones suck and break after removing 3 keys.  The wire ones are great as they can remove the larger keys that have stabilizers.  Just pull the wires to come under opposite corners of the keycap and pull and wiggle.  I've had 2 plastic removers and they broke in a  short amount of time.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:42:11 »
But the plastic ones do double up as a fun game!

When you pull the caps, they go flying across the room and you have to hunt for them behind the sofa. House of FUN!
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 03:29:24 »
Get the £1 wire pullers from China off of eBay.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 21:55:14 »
The wire one has been good to me so far. As someone who constantly changes caps on my board due to my indecisiveness, it makes for a swift and safe experience!