Author Topic: Connecting separated parts of a keyboard together.  (Read 1282 times)

Offline QuincyJones

Connecting separated parts of a keyboard together.
« on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 07:17:58 »
Bare with me here - I'm throwing an idea around in my head about having a modular keyboard. So maybe there'll be the absolute basic keys, and then I'll be able to connect a keypad, a block of additional keys with legends for extra functionality, an F-key block etc.

How can the additional blocks be connected to the basic block? Would some sort of ribbon connector be necessary to connect into the matrix?
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Connecting separated parts of a keyboard together.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 12:37:29 »
Either you can run lots of wires for the matrix or you can use an I/O expander which only uses 4 wires.  The Ergodox uses one, I'm not aware of anyone using more than that but you can have multiple devices on an I2C connection so it's only a firmware change.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 00:53:34 »
If you do use ribbon cables, do make each additional module's logical matrix as close as possible to a square. That way you use the fewest wires as possible.
But an I/O expander uses fewer wires already if the number of keys is larger than 4.
🍉

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 01:07:35 »
I would use 1u blocks of keys made with Enabler and wire up the diodes and switches so that they can interface with a breadboard.
I think it might be possible and fun but definitely not practical.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards