Author Topic: Is it possible to get external arrow keys?  (Read 7758 times)

Offline rrspamrr

Is it possible to get external arrow keys?
« on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 21:12:17 »
I recently purchased an HHKB pro 2 (feels like heaven!) but I'm running into a major problem: the lack of dedicated arrow keys. It's driving me insane!! However, I do recall hearing of "external" keyboard devices like numpads so I'm hanging onto the possibility that something like this exists for arrow keys too. Am I correct or do I have to live like this for the rest of my life  :'(

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Is it possible to get external arrow keys?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:47:36 »
dunno if Techkeys.us still has these but...

can't be bothered to rotate u get the idea.

139951-0
I love Elzy

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:02:19 »

dunno if Techkeys.us still has these but...

can't be bothered to rotate u get the idea.

I got you

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:08:15 »
don't impede yourself. chances are if you need arrow keys you probably need home/end/pgup/pgdn too

get a RF87U

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:19:31 »
I don't know why most 60% boards don't include the arrow keys in the Fn layer with the IJKL keys.  Anywhere else is very awkward.  The HHKB PRo 2 JP  version includes dedicated arrows instead of imbedded in an Fn layer.  Yes there are number pads which have arrow functions along with pg up, pg down, end, etc.   If  you need to buy a seperate number pad for arrows you may have well have just gotten a full size board or TKL with dedicated arrows.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 June 2016, 10:47:32 by jcoffin1981 »
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline QuincyJones

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:40:57 »
I recently purchased an HHKB pro 2 (feels like heaven!) but I'm running into a major problem: the lack of dedicated arrow keys.
Did you not think of this before you bought it? Ignore the (spammy paid for) advertising / comments you read around here about how great they are. Go looking for the thread/s that say how crappy they are once the initial excitement of "belonging to the club" wears off.

Cut your losses, sell that piece of crud and buy a decent keyboard.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:45:31 »
I recently purchased an HHKB pro 2 (feels like heaven!) but I'm running into a major problem: the lack of dedicated arrow keys.
Did you not think of this before you bought it? Ignore the (spammy paid for) advertising / comments you read around here about how great they are. Go looking for the thread/s that say how crappy they are once the initial excitement of "belonging to the club" wears off.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:58:51 »

demik confirmed PFU shill

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 02:35:33 »

this guy knows
I love Elzy

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:24:54 »
I recently purchased an HHKB pro 2 (feels like heaven!) but I'm running into a major problem: the lack of dedicated arrow keys. It's driving me insane!! However, I do recall hearing of "external" keyboard devices like numpads so I'm hanging onto the possibility that something like this exists for arrow keys too. Am I correct or do I have to live like this for the rest of my life  :'(

I found it awkward at first (a couple weeks, I think), but eventually it totally became muscle memory. For some uses, like graphic design work, it's still pretty awkward -- and when I doing a lot of nudging of stuff in Illustrator or Photoshop, I tend to hook up a full-sized board, also for the dedicated F keys.

But for routine text editing use, I don't have a problem with the FN-layer arrow on HHKB at all, even when doing combos like option+arrow to move a word at a time, or option+shift+arrow to select a word at a time. My fingers now just snap to the right keys, and honestly I find that the HHKB layout means that even doing all that, I'm staying much closer to the home row. When I go back to a board with separate arrow keys, it's a further reach and feels less natural. Also a pretty big fan of the Delete key being right above the return.

All that said, if you *really* can't get deal after giving your hands a chance to get used to it, I'd agree: just get rid of it before using something as awkward as "external arrow keys". There are other Topre boards with built-in arrow keys, and you'll get great resale value out of your HHKB.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:27:01 by dchadwick »

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:27:45 »

LOL, someone sounds jealous.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to spend the $50 check PFU just cut me to make that comment  :rolleyes:

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:32:31 »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:50:55 »

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/sixkeyboard
Show Image

Dang those are really pricey for what they are.
PCB is cheap, custom milled and anodized case is expensive, yes.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:52:38 »
Make a cheap plate and then handwire with a teensy. Easy macropad. Or wait till Rama's is out.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:37:15 »

Show Image

Ah didnt see the PCB only option!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline MrFex

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:43:26 »
If you are interested in a DIY project you might be interested in this project of mine:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70994.msg1733191#msg1733191

Good luck

Offline 1391406

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:01:44 »
Your HHKB is Topre, thus I'd want a Realforce numpad.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 17:17:28 »
I literally had the exact same problem. Get the Max-FALCON8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 17:18:48 »
Also, you get used to the keys fairly quickly. I've had my HHKB for a month or so and I adapted to the arrow keys within the first few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 00:13:05 »

Show Image

This one has the neat firmware that makes it very simple to configure the keys.

Plus it is plug-and-play, and looks great!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ