Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Swatman

Hello
« on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 19:16:03 »
I have been checking out this site for a few days now.  I have had a Steelseries 6g v2 for a few years now, and after seeing all of the great things you guys do with Mech Keyboards, I decided to pick up a TADA68.  I should get it hopefully mid August :).  I want to go for a Red and Black keycap theme.  Any suggestions where I can search for that?  Preferably with translucent lettering so that the backlit LED's can shine through.  Thanks!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 19:55:06 »
Hey there, welcome.

Can you understand the firmware programming page? I followed some links from the Originative Co. website and ended up with a GUI of what looks like a keyboard layout editor and a way to download the custom firmware output but all of it is in Chinese. I can translate with Chrome just fine but man that's a bummer to have to do.
Chris Schammert

Offline Swatman

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 19:57:57 »
Hey there, welcome.

Can you understand the firmware programming page? I followed some links from the Originative Co. website and ended up with a GUI of what looks like a keyboard layout editor and a way to download the custom firmware output but all of it is in Chinese. I can translate with Chrome just fine but man that's a bummer to have to do.

I haven't looked at the programming page yet.  That kind of scares me just reading your post haha.  Am i in for a bad time?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 20:11:06 »
Hey there, welcome.

I haven't looked at the programming page yet.  That kind of scares me just reading your post haha.  Am i in for a bad time?

I dunno, do you have any friends that can read Chinese? You'll be fine.. I think ;)
Chris Schammert

Offline Swatman

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 20:48:51 »
Just looking to use it as a normal keyboard, how hard is it to setup?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 01:23:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The TADA68 is a pre-built keyboard, right?  Just one that happens to be programmable?  Is there any particular reason you chose that one?

Some of the keycaps are not quite standard size, which will make a little more difficult to find replacement keycap sets, especially backlight-friendly sets.  I have see a few black backlight-friendly sets, but none in red, unfortunately.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Swatman

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 13:04:26 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The TADA68 is a pre-built keyboard, right?  Just one that happens to be programmable?  Is there any particular reason you chose that one?

Some of the keycaps are not quite standard size, which will make a little more difficult to find replacement keycap sets, especially backlight-friendly sets.  I have see a few black backlight-friendly sets, but none in red, unfortunately.

It looks like pretty normal keycaps to me?? 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 13:54:21 »
Oh, I read somewhere that the PCB will work with TMK firmware. If that's the case you'll have access to full English instruction ;)
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 01:37:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Going by the images on this site, it looks like the bottom row is 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1 1 1 - not every keycap set matches that, and you'd probably need a US ANSI base set + some 1x modifiers to complete a bottom row like that.

Plus the profile on some of the keys on the far right would not exactly match.  Page Up is usually the same profile as the number row, but on the TADA68 it should be the same as the ASDF row.  That wouldn't bother a lot of people, but quite a few people would really notice it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 07:12:02 »
I think Geekkeys sells pbt keysets that work with most 75% keyboards. It will have that 1.75u Rshift and probably a few 1u modifiers.
Chris Schammert

Offline Swatman

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 07:54:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Going by the images on this site, it looks like the bottom row is 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1 1 1 - not every keycap set matches that, and you'd probably need a US ANSI base set + some 1x modifiers to complete a bottom row like that.

Plus the profile on some of the keys on the far right would not exactly match.  Page Up is usually the same profile as the number row, but on the TADA68 it should be the same as the ASDF row.  That wouldn't bother a lot of people, but quite a few people would really notice it.

Thank you for the heads up on that.  I see it now