Author Topic: JT Keycaps vs Imsto vs Enjoy PBT  (Read 6157 times)

Offline vincentalpha

JT Keycaps vs Imsto vs Enjoy PBT
« on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 11:19:22 »
Hi guys,

Can you please give me some input regards to the quality of these two manufacturers?
JTK is a little cheaper than Imsto in where I leave and almost the same price to EnjoyPBT. These keycaps manufacturer are both making thick pbt keycap with dye sub and cherry profile. Hence the most significant differences for me is the quality (consistency & longevity of the keycaps)
Please help me to get some experience with you. It's not possible for me to test they keycaps, but I really like my GMK ABS cherry profile, so I decided to buy another key cap set for work. Hence, I rely on your experiences to make decision.
Thanks for reading.

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
Re: JT Keycaps vs Imsto vs Enjoy PBT
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 23:39:27 »
This post gives some good comparisons but doesn't include JTK....

JTK caps are original Cherry molds and they're double shot, not dye sub.  His caps are (IMO) as close as you can get to GMK without the GMK price tag.  Can't go wrong there.  JTK had some minor issues when first starting out, but from what I understand most of which has been sorted.  IMSTO used to use BSP as a base for his dye-sub genius which are thick and amazing/super beefy and highly desirable.  Recently he uses Gaterons... You know EnjoyPBT - same thing.  Totally cool, even though not as beefy as BSP and IMSTO offers them CHEAP if you got on Round 4 of his GB.  He has some of the most clear legends on the market when it comes to dye-subs, the dude is a master of his craft. 

To your original question I think you should go with JTK, as they are double shot and very high quality which will give you the most bang for your buck.  Especially since you like GMK, you will certainly like JTK.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 23:41:03 »
JTK caps are original Cherry molds and they're double shot, not dye sub.  His caps are (IMO) as close as you can get to GMK without the GMK price tag. 

They're not original Cherry molds, they're Cherry profile.

Offline vincentalpha

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 01:03:19 »
thanks for your input guys.
I did some more research and found that JTK is ABS double shot like GMK, but they are not as thick, nor as good quality. However, I can't complain about it since their price is fantastic. I definitely buy one in the future when money's available.
I would have to buy PBT because this is for my regular use keyboard at work. I will use it more often than my keyboard at home.
With the local market availability, I think EnjoyPBT suit my needs the most for a classic look and price.
Thanks for answering my question again.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 01:17:19 »
I did some more research and found that JTK is ABS double shot like GMK, but they are not as thick, nor as good quality. However, I can't complain about it since their price is fantastic. I definitely buy one in the future when money's available.
I would have to buy PBT because this is for my regular use keyboard at work. I will use it more often than my keyboard at home.
With the local market availability, I think EnjoyPBT suit my needs the most for a classic look and price.

JTK has similar thickness to GMK from what i can see

the main difference is JTK's legends are inconsistent and not as crisp and defined as GMK's. i only own early sets so i don't know how much they have improved

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 05:42:51 »

JTK has similar thickness to GMK from what i can see

the main difference is JTK's legends are inconsistent and not as crisp and defined as GMK's. i only own early sets so i don't know how much they have improved

There's only been a couple of JTK sets produced so far, and lots of work has apparently gone in to the legends and other issues people have been reporting.

The JTK Sophomore GB should prove interesting.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline vincentalpha

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 07:19:36 »
I do hope JTK can be improved in the future and also expand to PBT. I am definitely support them since their price is very competitive.