Author Topic: Hello everyone.  (Read 3048 times)

Offline sithlord

Hello everyone.
« on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 17:22:03 »
I'm sithlord. I have a few keyboards and have been lurking for a while.

Had some questions regarding programming the MiniVan so decided to create an account to ask them.

Currently interested in 40%boards. Have a JD40, Planck, MiniVan. Waiting on the Golbat and JD45.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hello everyone.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 07:55:24 »
Welcome aboard!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 01:32:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a goodly collection of small keyboards!

Have you got the same switch in all of them?  If not, which switches have you tried?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sithlord

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 11:18:36 »
The JD40 ended being a switch tested board with Cherry MX switches.

The Planck has Gateron Browns with 68g springs and Gateron Blues and Green modifiers.

The MiniVan has Cherry MX Clear alphas and assorted modifiers (Gateron Green and some Zealios) ha.

I just got the Golbat and the switchs are laid out in a similar fashion.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 05:40:19 »

The Planck has Gateron Browns with 68g springs and Gateron Blues and Green modifiers.

The MiniVan has Cherry MX Clear alphas and assorted modifiers (Gateron Green and some Zealios) ha.

That's a lot of switches in a few boards!

Does any switch jump out as being the best?  Or (like me) you just like to have a few different switches around for variety?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sithlord

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 23:46:03 »

Does any switch jump out as being the best?  Or (like me) you just like to have a few different switches around for variety?

I like variety. And I like to build my boards with a mix of switches (usually tactile for alphas, clicks for mods) :D

Cherry MX Clears are my favorite at the moment :thumb:. Next is Gateron Browns with spring mod.

Clicky switches are a mixed bag for me because I can't really tell the difference, just based on preference Cherry MX Greens > Gateron Greens > Cherry Blues > Gateron Blues.

Linear switches don't really fit me at all, blacks are acceptable because they are heavy enough to not be activated by accident.

I got a bag of Zealios from Round 1, but haven't had a board I want to put them on at the moment. Maybe JD45, if it allows switch top removal. :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 05:45:01 »

I like variety. And I like to build my boards with a mix of switches (usually tactile for alphas, clicks for mods) :D

Cherry MX Clears are my favorite at the moment :thumb:. Next is Gateron Browns with spring mod.

Clicky switches are a mixed bag for me because I can't really tell the difference, just based on preference Cherry MX Greens > Gateron Greens > Cherry Blues > Gateron Blues.

Linear switches don't really fit me at all, blacks are acceptable because they are heavy enough to not be activated by accident.

I got a bag of Zealios from Round 1, but haven't had a board I want to put them on at the moment. Maybe JD45, if it allows switch top removal. :))

So a fan of heavy switches then.  Welcome :D

Plates can be made to allow switch top removal, needs an extra notch or two either side of each switch IIRC.  The renders on the JD45 page don't show the notches, but you could probably get a suitable plate made.

Offline sithlord

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 23:59:09 »

Plates can be made to allow switch top removal, needs an extra notch or two either side of each switch IIRC.  The renders on the JD45 page don't show the notches, but you could probably get a suitable plate made.

Heavy switches gives me a nice workout for my fingers :p

JD45 should be shipping soon so I guess I will know for sure when I get it... :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 05:32:30 »

Heavy switches gives me a nice workout for my fingers :p

JD45 should be shipping soon so I guess I will know for sure when I get it... :cool:

For reference, the plate shown in this thread has the extra notches.

Offline Celcius

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 07:18:06 »
Welcome to geekhack!