Author Topic: Hello from SOCAL!  (Read 3307 times)

Offline nurbs

Hello from SOCAL!
« on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 05:22:53 »
Been lurking forever. Figured I join the fun!  :thumb:

Have a few mechanical keyboards and will be adding more. Latest purchase was a Poker 3 which I have issues with, but hopefully someone here can solve. I posted the issue on the keyboards forum.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello from SOCAL!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 05:55:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Forever is a long time, although time is relative to the observer, so as you're now participating and not just observing, I wonder if that means time has stopped?

I have posted a link in your other thread.  A couple of Reddit posts seem to suggest it is quirky firmware, which is supported by the other link.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nurbs

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 16:37:09 »
Forever is quite awhile. Maybe more like a few years off and on  :D

And thanks for the response on the Poker. Hopefully it is just a firmware issue.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 16:46:02 »
haiu

Offline brighenne

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:37:21 »
Welcome! It's funny the thread is at 75% socal utilization.

Offline nurbs

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:52:35 »
Welcome! It's funny the thread is at 75% socal utilization.

haha yes represent!

Offline emdude

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:56:14 »
As another SoCal resident, greetings. ;)
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 20:45:41 »
SNA represent.  Glad to see more SoCal people on here.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 05:31:11 »
Many SoCal.

Such meetup?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Celcius

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 07:18:44 »
Welcome! I hope you get your pok3r issues sorted out.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 15:00:44 »
Many SoCal.

Such meetup?

I wouldn't be adverse to it.  For a bit, there was a SoCal meet-up threatened for the end of July on reddit, but I have heard nothing since the IC.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 15:06:34 »
Many SoCal.

Such meetup?

I wouldn't be adverse to it.  For a bit, there was a SoCal meet-up threatened for the end of July on reddit, but I have heard nothing since the IC.

Still likely. Waiting on timing confirmation for a couple of things.

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 15:08:40 »
Many SoCal.

Such meetup?

Still likely. Waiting on timing confirmation for a couple of things.

Good to hear, I'll keep an eye out.

Offline eltoozero

• Destructive Services
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 02:06:39 »
I'd be interested in meet ups too, one place to start is SGVLUG, every two weeks at the Denny's West of the 405 on Sherman Way.

Then there's TRW, where a buddy of a buddy recently picked up an SSK for $10, after I'd been looking for one every month for the last decade.

On second thought, skip TRW. :P

But if you do come out, come say hi @ spot F42!

Oh shameless plug, I did a RepRap talk this last Saturday at the LUG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBpAmdXgjJ8

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 06:04:19 »
$10 SSK?  :eek:

Offline eltoozero

• Destructive Services
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:29:55 »

Let's not discuss the matter please.

I'm a vendor at the swap and I don't always get to walk around, this was one of those days. :(

Offline brighenne

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 23:31:44 »

Let's not discuss the matter please.

I'm a vendor at the swap and I don't always get to walk around, this was one of those days. :(

This is what you're referring to? http://w6trw.com/index.php/w6trw-amateur-radio-club-swap-meet/

That's a new one to me, I may have to head out to one of these.

Offline eltoozero

• Destructive Services
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 18:20:23 »
This is what you're referring to? http://w6trw.com/index.php/w6trw-amateur-radio-club-swap-meet/

That's a new one to me, I may have to head out to one of these.

That's the show, biggest electronics swap in SoCal.

Good amount of vintage computing stuff there still these days, you'll find an M here and there if I don't find it first and add it to my stack.

Come say hi at spot F42 near the big black building.

Offline shrubkeys

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 19:35:47 »
I've gone a couple of times and haven't had any keyboard luck - but did pick up a stack of DD-WRT-compatible routers for $1/ea. :)

Looks like meetup won't be July, but stay tuned next month...