Author Topic: 4x15 - Layout idea  (Read 2640 times)

Offline decker

4x15 - Layout idea
« on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 00:55:11 »
Here is my new layout idea:

Any thoughts ? Likes, hates ?

Keyboard Layout Editor Link

Offline kingyachan

Re: 4x15 - Layout idea
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 04:31:29 »
its pretty cool, its like a mini split keyboard without the split :P

Only thing that that looks funky to me is the right end of the board, I almost want to say the shift should be where the backspace is, the backspace where the shift is and the backspace where the enter is if that makes sense?

its a cool idea though especially if your used to a split keyboard.

Offline decker

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 06:07:38 »
Thanks for the reply.
Indeed when you start downsizing you end up with no perfect solution.
I wanted the Ctl at bottom left, so I had to move the left shift.
I wanted both shifts on same line, so I had to move the Enter.
I wanted to have the maximum number of keys, so I had to make a smaller backspace...
Note that the Enter is more ISO centric...

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 12:32:02 »
Like any small board the compromises look crazy at first, but having a number row is very useful so it's an interesting idea.

You are moving some keys between rows so caps will be wonky, unless you're thinking blanks or non-profiled?

As you're going to have to learn quite a lot of changes why not go all out and try Colemak?

The only key I really don't like is backspace.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 12:34:43 »
Like suicidal_orange, I don't like the backspace location. I think I'd rather move the right shift to the current backspace location. Move the backspace to the current enter location. And the enter to the current right shift location.

Other than that it seems all right.

Offline decker

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 17:20:33 »
Like any small board the compromises look crazy at first, but having a number row is very useful so it's an interesting idea.

You are moving some keys between rows so caps will be wonky, unless you're thinking blanks or non-profiled?

As you're going to have to learn quite a lot of changes why not go all out and try Colemak?

The only key I really don't like is backspace.

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I'm not a builder (so i didn't look at the practical aspects never touched a non-profiled key...).

I'm trying to think out of the box.
If I come up with an idea someone likes, I'm happy.
If not at least we've eliminated bad ideas !

I'm a Azerty user, I just show my layouts as Qwerty so people understand the general idea.
Here its to have a 45ish % size board with about the same number of keys as a 60% (if I'm getting the numbers right).

Like suicidal_orange, I don't like the backspace location. I think I'd rather move the right shift to the current backspace location. Move the backspace to the current enter location. And the enter to the current right shift location.

Other than that it seems all right.
Thanks for your reply.

In an ideal world all the keys would be user defined.
It just felt strange to me to have the shifts on different rows.

Offline theg721

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 17:39:34 »
Hmm, it's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well I'd adjust to the split layout.

I disagree with the other posters--I think it's a great idea to move backspace there, I'd certainly be very interested to try it.  But I agree enter should be moved to where the right shift is currently located.  I don't know where I'd move right shift after that. Maybe go without?  Also--no Win key?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 18:40:54 »
Backspace is fine, shifts are great. Enter is about the same as ANSI, or an improvement compared to ISO/JIS. Ctrl and Alt are improved vs. the standard, though still not my favorite. Put the apostrophe / quote key where the backslash is. I hope you don’t need bracket keys for anything.

The real problem though is the spacebar. If you want a thumb-less layout, just put the spacebar directly under one of your fingers. Kind of a waste considering the thumbs are the strongest and most flexible fingers, but whatever. If you want to use your thumbs, then put keys where your thumbs can actually reach them. The standard-keyboard spacebar is already too close to the letter keys to really be comfortable, hence the recent trend of slightly widening a spacebar to ~1.5u (moving it half a unit closer to the body also works).
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2016, 18:50:47 by jacobolus »

Offline decker

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 08:47:08 »
Hmm, it's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well I'd adjust to the split layout.

I disagree with the other posters--I think it's a great idea to move backspace there, I'd certainly be very interested to try it.  But I agree enter should be moved to where the right shift is currently located.  I don't know where I'd move right shift after that. Maybe go without?  Also--no Win key?

Thanks for the reply,
Pure Win key is available through Ctrl+Esc, try it.
Shortcuts like Win+L would need to be remapped to the function key...
Or just use Win key instead of function key and map extrashortcuts with it like Win + 1 for F1...
By the way AltGr can be obtained with Ctrl+Alt.

Backspace is fine, shifts are great. Enter is about the same as ANSI, or an improvement compared to ISO/JIS. Ctrl and Alt are improved vs. the standard, though still not my favorite. Put the apostrophe / quote key where the backslash is. I hope you don’t need bracket keys for anything.

The real problem though is the spacebar. If you want a thumb-less layout, just put the spacebar directly under one of your fingers. Kind of a waste considering the thumbs are the strongest and most flexible fingers, but whatever. If you want to use your thumbs, then put keys where your thumbs can actually reach them. The standard-keyboard spacebar is already too close to the letter keys to really be comfortable, hence the recent trend of slightly widening a spacebar to ~1.5u (moving it half a unit closer to the body also works).

Thanks for the reply,
I use an Azerty keyboard so I believe I'd be happy with the Enter there, I didn't think much about the symbols layouts, just wanted to show a general layout usage.
I was thinking the space bar could be used by the thumb by moving the hand up one row, you can test that by typin yours bs and Ns with a thumb on regular keyboard.
In anycase it is not meant to be an ergonomic or even heavy typing keyboard, just having fun with small keyboard ideas.

Offline decker

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 02:39:52 »
Okay so this a new version, with satisfying Shifts and Backspace.
Less satisfying numbers.
Which is your favorite ?

4x15 num bottom

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:46:14 »
The win key is used heavily for mac and linux users. I prefer the newer layout