Author Topic: Apple ADB Adjustable Keyboard  (Read 4214 times)

Offline watduzhkstand4

Apple ADB Adjustable Keyboard
« on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 00:42:46 »
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline chimera15

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 00:58:46 »
Sweet, looks just like mine.  Too expensive for me though.  I want to get another one for cheap so I can steal the switches out of it to mod a minitouch or something.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline roadblock2thesun

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 13:36:31 »
I've been watching for a cheap one of these as well. There is at least one up for sale now that is less expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Apple-Mac-Adjustable-Keyboard-M1242-Gray-EUC_W0QQitemZ290379562708QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item439bf87ed4

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 January 2010, 13:41:47 »
I've seen those things go for $150+ NIB. Kinda want one for myself, but they're usually really pricy.
keyboards!

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 00:50:53 »
what kind of switches does it use? I would think it uses alps but I don't know what color
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 08:13:43 »
Same as an AEK 2, IIRC - dampened, tactile, non-clicky Cream or Salmon Alps, except for the Function and Media keys (which are mini-sized rubber dome or the like) that are on the separate Numpad unit.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 13:45:47 »
Quote from: ak_nala;148404
Same as an AEK 2, IIRC - dampened, tactile, non-clicky Cream or Salmon Alps, except for the Function and Media keys (which are mini-sized rubber dome or the like) that are on the separate Numpad unit.

Salmon Alps... I really like that term, and I'm going to use is from now on.
keyboards!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 14:26:31 »
Quote from: ripster;148535
Precision people like Cherry switches.

Too bad the people who came up with the Cherry keyboard model numbers aren't precision people.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 00:15:52 »
lol I DO favor Cherry over Alps =P
KEYBOARDS

SOLD
HHKB L-2
Dell AT101W

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 02:22:29 »
I've always loved the big chunky separate numeric keypad for that thing.  Just a big slab of secondary buttons, which seems like a dreamy companion for a laptop, or maybe a cool boardlet for gaming or other circumstances, but somehow it's never actually practical.

There was an episode of the original "Star Trek" (I won't reveal my degree of geekdom by mentioning the title) where Kirk had an accident with the transporter that resulted in two of him:  the transporter had somehow separated Kirk's negative emotions from his positive emotions and created one individual thus distilled with each, resulting in a "good Kirk" and a "bad Kirk".  The good Kirk ended up being a waffle and lacked the derring-do necessary to make the important decisions required by his command, yet the bad Kirk kept doing anti-social things like sexual assault.

When I see that big ovoid hunk of secondary buttons, it makes me wonder if there was a transporter accident somewhere:  a Model M went in, and out came this, and the HHKB.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline sandy55

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 03:23:51 »
Same as an AEK 2, IIRC - dampened, tactile, non-clicky Cream or Salmon Alps,

Are you sure?    If it's true, there might be two variations of Apple Adjustable.

Two Adjustables with low profile switches mounted directly on a PCB.
Whites clicky from MouseFan

Mine is bit funny, might be modded. I suppose ex-owner dampened whole switches with grease ( and stems got yellowed with grease ).

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 04:51:34 »
Quote from: sandy55;148766
Are you sure?    If it's true, there might be two variations of Apple Adjustable.

Mine is bit funny, might be modded. I suppose ex-owner dampened whole switches with grease ( and stems got yellowed with grease ).

No, I'm not sure at all. Just going by my recollections of typing on my Boss' board some 15 years ago. Obviously my recollections were inaccurate, save that they were Alps mechanicals.

Edit:  Cool. looks like they use the same low-profiles as in the Alps Glidepoint Numberpad mentioned in this thread.  Makes me want one more than I already did.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2010, 05:08:48 by ak_nala »
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline fastbuck

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 11:09:41 »
Quote from: sandy55;148766

Just got one from Ebay - it's not clicky and feels like there is grease in the switches, as the keys are slow to return but the travel is very smooth. I'll open it up later on to check for sure, but looks like this grease came from the factory, unless it was common for apple fans to dump grease in their keyboards lol
Keyboards: IBM Model M 1391401, CVT Avant Stellar, CVT Avant Prime, Dell AT101W, TypeMatrix 2020, Compaq MX 11800, Chicony KB-5181, IBM M-13, Chicony KB-5191, Wang 724,

Pointing devices: Contour Rollermouse & Pro, Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball, Kensington TurboBall Trackball, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, 3M Ergonomic Mouse, Zero tension mouse, MS Ergonomic Laser Mouse 6000, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Wowpen Vertical mouse, Logitech Trackman Marble, Digital Research DRTRACK Trackball

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:32:19 »
I have a pair of wrist/palm rests from one of those Apple Adjustable keyboards if anyone is missing theirs. PM me.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline dougy

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 March 2010, 20:21:31 »

I've got 4 of these, all have the same switches. Alps, white, similar to AEKII but much softer and quieter. Somewhat mushy they are hard to type on. I pulled the switches off one and substituted blue cherries which makes for a really nice keyboard.

On the numpad the function keys are tactile pushbutton switches mounted on the pcb. The plastic actuator is welded to the keyboard bezel.