Author Topic: Homemade wrist rest  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Aran.E99

Homemade wrist rest
« on: Sat, 23 July 2016, 17:21:14 »
hi guys, this is a little overview / build log to describe the process i went through of making a wrist rest. i'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place, so mods feel free to move it :)

to begin with, i got a chicony kb-5181 and those of you who have used them know that they are higher up (higher than my last keyboard) so i decided to make a wrist rest. i am pretty sure the material i used was birch as it is slightly yellow and is a softwood. the dimensions (WxLxD) are 79mm x 417mm x 18mm. after i cut the wood, i sanded it like crazy as it had permanent marker on it from a previous project. to achieve a comfortable curve for my wrist, i used a file and more sanding. after the sanding, i used normal wood stain to stain the wood. this was pretty easy and fast to do as it dries quick. after, i drilled 4 small holes to accommodate the screws to stop the rest from touching my desk. after, i used clear coat spray (polyurethane) to protect it. finally i put the screws into the base which elevates it but stops it leaving polyurethane residue on my desk.

here are some pictures of the finished product

a close up of the wood:
143198-0
the underside:
143200-1
knot in the wood:
143202-2
next to my keyboard (messy desk ;)
143204-3

sorry if it's not a detailed build with pics of the process but i didn't actually plan on making one, i only made it as i got my kb-5181 working and thought its worth telling people i painted a block of wood :D

-Aran
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline jaffers

Re: Homemade wrist rest
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:18:10 »
Hi there!

Thanks aran, this build log was pretty interesting, the final result looks pretty good, those screws in the bottom are pretty ingenious, would you think about making another member one of these in the future?

-jaffers

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:18:57 »
Hi there!

Thanks aran, this build log was pretty interesting, the final result looks pretty good, those screws in the bottom are pretty ingenious, would you think about making another member one of these in the future?

-jaffers
Hi aran, I want some too.

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 07:38:15 »
haha, i might. if i do, i will probably use wood cut to more precise dimensions as this was literally just a piece of wood lying around. i would also put rubber feet on as it is a bit slippy.

thanks for the interest,
Aran

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 09:56:22 »
haha, i might. if i do, i will probably use wood cut to more precise dimensions as this was literally just a piece of wood lying around. i would also put rubber feet on as it is a bit slippy.

thanks for the interest,
Aran

Yes - looks good so far - go to autozone/advanced auto or whatever autoparts store nearby and pick up some vacuum plugs like these:

They fit over the screws.  I used some of these on my AT101W:

Paired with some aluminum threaded inserts they're adjustable in height.  They work great for wood, too.

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 July 2016, 10:03:15 »
yeah i was planning on using those style feet but the wood now with flat screws just goes a bit over the keyboard.