Author Topic: What kind of keyboard or keycap that you don't like.  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
What kind of keyboard or keycap that you don't like.
« on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 01:26:36 »
To be honest. I think we have talked to much about what we like. But everyone is conflictive.If you like something,Sometimes means you don't like others or hate something else.So I think this topic will make sense or very interesting,It is the same to mechanical Keyboard or something related to keyboard like keycap.Or ,Sometimes,Why don't you wanna by their products.
Modify message

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: What kind of keyboard or keycap that you don't like.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 05:21:39 »
Tactile non-clicky MX switches are kind of lame, they have weak tactility (and Cherries aren't especially tactile in general) and are scratchy on top of that. Gaterons and some other clones are at least smoother.

Also Cherry really should give more weighting options, for a lot of people they find the options they have too heavy or too light, they don't have any in-between.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 05:48:33 »
Switches: I hate clicky or linear switches. Even the low tactility of Gateron Browns is better than a linear, or a clicky. I prefer to listen to music while typing, and not silly clicks and clacks. So do my colleagues and my wife at home.

Keycaps: I hate DSA and other uniform profiles. Uniform R3 SA is just as bad as DSA. They are a pain to type on. I also find artisians awful, ugly, and stupid. Legends are also useless, and sets would be so much better without them - or non-alpha legends, purely for decoration.

Keyboards: Any keyboard that is not split, or concave like the Advantage is something I never want to type on (unless I end up doing steno, for which a Planck looks like a good choice, but that is chording, not typing so...). But even more than traditional keyboards, I hate split ones without proper thumb keys, or split ones with traditional staggering. Absolutely despicable those ones.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 05:58:13 »
Tactile non-clicky MX switches are kind of lame, they have weak tactility (and Cherries aren't especially tactile in general) and are scratchy on top of that. Gaterons and some other clones are at least smoother.

Also Cherry really should give more weighting options, for a lot of people they find the options they have too heavy or too light, they don't have any in-between.
I agree with all of this! So well put.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 06:27:17 »
I don't like Topre, MX Browns, or MX Reds. Actually I think MX switches are overrated these days with Gateron and other options available.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 07:29:55 »
Laptops drive me crazy. Flat keycaps lying in a flat plane is just the worst.

However, my wife, a magazine editor who has typed thousands of words a day for decades, loves her wafer-thin Apple keyboards, so her opinion is valid, too.
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 08:43:05 »
I hate non standard layouts, especially when keyboard maker omits some modifier keys (I must have 2 ALT/OPT and 2 WIN/CMD keys on each side of the keyboard, don't care for CTRL as that's always remapped from CAPS LOCK).
I don't like SA and DSA myself.
I'm also totally ignorant to unicorn vomit colorful boards, with all those toy-like useless keycaps that people pay crazy money for.
I'm neutral towards backlighting although I think some manufacturers abuse it a little.
Oh and clear cases, just like windows in PC cases, they may look good to some when they're new but have you seen acrylic after being used for couple months?
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:24:35 »
I hate those big oldschool boards like Model M and such. They just take away so much space!  :D

Offline kasakka

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 09:44:02 »
I no longer like working on full size keyboards. They just take too much space and you have to reach further to grab the mouse. Even TKLs have keys that could just be behind modifiers. I don't like the HHKB layout because it is missing a few too many keys from the bottom row. I tried the HHKB JP but on that one the small spacebar was just annoying to reach so I didn't buy one.

I hate stabilized keys. I still haven't figured out how to permanently silence those damn rattling pieces of crap. If the mech community needs something then it's better stabilizers!

I don't like the round aluminum legs that come with many keyboard kits. They are too tall for the keyboard so you just end up with the whole thing at a too high angle. If you took about a centimeter off the height they'd be useful.

I'm not fond of the really heavy ones nor the lightest linear switches. My current keyboard has 65g Zealios but I'll probably get the 67g ones for my next one. The 45g Topre is closest to what I prefer.

For keycaps the poor availability and high cost are my biggest beefs. I would have a GMK Cyan set if it wasn't over 200 euros to import one. Often the sets in group buys have tons of keys I don't need like function and numpad ones. Also **** those /r/mk or Geekhack or any other branded novelties that just up the price for no good reason. I'd rather see those sold as separate kits and the base kits be 60%. Too many of the group buys are on Massdrop which always end up pretty expensive for us Euro folks. The least they could do is setup shipping within Europe if the keys are made in Germany for example so we don't have to pay import taxes and higher shipping costs.

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 10:41:04 »
HHKB or any 60%. They drive me nuts. Even TKL's sometimes, even though that is my main KB atm. I use a 10 key a lot and had to buy a separate unit for the tkl.

Noisy keys in an office. I used to share a office with a guy that used a loud kb and it drove me nuts. Also MX Reds....I just cannot type on them....
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline thatsmrdoctortoyou

• Dingo babies
    • IG
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 11:27:22 »
laptop keyboards drive me insane... I can barely type 60 wpm on my MBP because of this hobby  :))

Also, I find switches with lighter weights (MX reds, for example) to be too light for my taste. The heavier the better!  :cool:

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 13:54:45 »
Keyboards:
I loathe anything made by IBM or is modelled after one of their Model F/M type boards. Those things are abominations. I've hated them since I first encountered one in 1981.

I dislike any board with a layout that departs from that of an ANSI Filco Majestouch-2. All my touch-typing muscle memory (nearly 40 years worth) is configured for ANSI-QWERTY. Alternate layouts are anathema to me.

I can't stand laptop keyboards or keyboards meant to look and feel like laptop keyboards, like Apple's recent designs. Those things are horrible; I don't know how anyone can stand to type on them.

I have no use for TKL boards. They are pointless. I only use full-size boards with desktop machines.

Similarly, I find small keyboards rather ridiculous except in one particular use case: when attached to a tablet (like an iPad). A good 60% board with a Filco-like layout (i.e., a Pok3r) is infinitely better than typing on glass. Anything larger doesn't fit well, and anything smaller strains usability.

Keycaps:
I find cylindrical topped keycaps to be so prosaic that I refuse to type on them. It is spherical or nothing for me.

Flat and chiclet keycaps are even worse than cylindrical, from both a usability and aesthetic standpoint.

Switches:
I despise clicky switches and think they should be banned from existance. The worst of all are buckling spring switches from old IBM keyboards. The obnoxious click is supplemented with an equally obnoxious ping. When the revolution comes, the first against the wall should be anyone harboring old IBM keyboards.

I think it goes without saying that I hate (conventional) membrane keyboards; I wouldn't be a mech keyboard aficianado if I didn't.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 14:37:54 »
Things I don't like: small keyboards, keyboards with blocking, keyboards that break easily, slow keyboards, keyboards without trackpoints. In roughly that order of priority.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 16:23:41 »
I will never buy a HHKB because they didn't put a ctrl key in the bottom right. As a heavy gamer this is beyond irritating and putting the key somewhere else does not help.

It doesn't even have to be a control key, if they'd put a key in that area so I can bind crouch to it I would buy a HHKB asap.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:12:09 »
Don't like:
-anything smaller than 100% keyboards (XT and AT layouts are acceptable)
-ANSI enter
-most Cherry MX, MY, ML,
-chiclet keys
-truly awful switches: Futaba linear, Amstrad spring over membrane, Key Tronic foam and foil, Smith-Corona leaf spring
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:18:23 »
I hate keyboards.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 19:36:53 »
Full size boards are too big for me.

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 22:48:53 »
 :thumb:I  am really into apple.My sisiter got an macbook air 2 years before.I feel good when I click the keyboard.
Laptops drive me crazy. Flat keycaps lying in a flat plane is just the worst.

However, my wife, a magazine editor who has typed thousands of words a day for decades, loves her wafer-thin Apple keyboards, so her opinion is valid, too.

[/font]

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 22:51:44 »
Sometimes ,When I go out for travel or work.smaller keyboard is easy to catch with. I prefer 60% mechanical keyboard.

Offline Micdeez

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 23:20:12 »
Hated the day I touched a mechanical keyboard

-wallet

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:39:22 »
The same to me.Each time when I touch or do something related to my mechanicla keyboard.My wallet feels ucomfortable and  hungry. :p

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 00:42:00 »
Oh,come on bro,I think You love Mech key too when you hate it.
I hate keyboards.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 06:46:33 »
I hate keyboards.
Well ****...

I thought I would love the pok3r - and I did like the switch, sort of, well, not really.
Overall it was a very disappointing experience and I would not recommend the keyboard unless you absolutely positively don't want arrow keys. But I do. I'm in love with the 68% layout.

I considered the FC660C but I've started using Page Up and Page Down a lot so again it falls short of the 68% I currently own. (dat topre tho...)
Now if they could just release a 55g topre 68%  :thumb:

Offline seville57

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:18:21 »
I hate non standard bottom row k-boards and the ISO/Nordic layout k-boards, it is a hell to find keycaps sets :mad:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:01:31 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:14:53 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:27:25 by alienman82 »

Offline zslane

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:16:09 »
As a side note, even though I dislike cylindrical keycaps, I like seeing lots of GMK sets go into production because they help spread out the demand for custom caps more evenly, taking pressure off of SP's overtaxed SA production capacity.

Offline mathilda

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:44:20 »
Hate:
- Boards: 60%, Ergodox
- Switches: All linear switches, Cherry MX Clear
- Caps: thin, flat, chiclet

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:19:07 »
Hate:
Most cherry switches
40% boards (how the **** do you get work done on that???)
Artisans (waste of money, most are ugly IMO)
RGB backlighting ((looks like a kids toy)Regular white backlighting or single color backlighting is ok though)
Most laptop keyboards (the one in my thinkpad is pretty nice though)
Foam and Foil switches
People on ebay the call old rubberdome boards "clicky" or "mechanical"
most linear switches (SKCL Green and yellow are pretty nifty though)
ISO enter
Ergo boards (I type really strangely and could never use an ergo)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:22:33 »
When the revolution comes, the first against the wall should be anyone harboring old IBM keyboards.
well I guess im ****ed  :'(

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:50:24 »
When the revolution comes, the first against the wall should be anyone harboring old IBM keyboards.
well I guess im ****ed  :'(
He forgets those people are armed to the teeth. With the keyboards. Tanks versus IBM steel? I'm down 8) .

Offline zslane

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:31:12 »
Chyros is right. They may not be "Big Iron" anymore, but those Model M's hurt!

Offline lovechan

• one for all,all for one,I'm lovechan,doing better.
    • HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 22:44:20 »
keyboard:   I don't like  ,no direct “delete ”key  . For example, 60% keyboard,you need transform the key

keycap:DSA  SA  ,I don't like it very much.

:p

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 04:45:53 »
Yep, full size is too big for me as well.
I'm in the 60 range at the moment and that suits me fine!

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 09:57:02 »
Yep, full size is too big for me as well.
I'm in the 60 range at the moment and that suits me fine!
60%? You gotta go 40% and down! Haha actually I'm thinking of going 60% too. Learning the keys on the layers is harder than I thought

Offline Red October

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 00:31:16 »
I can't stand tiny keyboards and the absolute rubbish they put on laptops, especially the bizarre Apple ones.  It's just so obvious it's made for someone who doesn't actually use the computer. 
Anything that puts the power button on the keyboard.  It just doesn't belong there.  Right up there with the stoves that make you reach across the burners to turn them off in terms of "The person who designed this never, ever had to use it."
Keyboards where it's obvious that care and engineering went in to the design, or there is some desirous feature, but the actual key mechanism is the ****tiest rubber dome action possible, making it the keyboard equivalent of a cheap fibreglass sportscar body shell put on a Volkswagen bug.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 01:02:10 »
TKL works fine for me, saves some right mouse room but has everything I need.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 02:46:16 »
1800 layout and cherry profile is the only combo that matters. EVERYTHING else goes in the trash

Offline zslane

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 11:38:14 »
I kind of liken all those light two-tone gray boards with Cherry/OEM profile caps to Priuses, which are the ugly cockroaches of the automotive world. They are everywhere, filling the world with a relentlessly bland, practical functionality and not a single ounce of style or aesthetic beauty.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 12:33:04 »
I hate 40% keyboards or anything with macro. Anything in between is fine.

I hate heavy noisy switches like mx greens and blues. 

I hate SA, and tai-hao pbt which are thin AF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 07:37:18 »
I reserve hatred for true abominations; OP more correctly asks about dislikes.

That said, most keyboards and accessories (including majority of products adored around here) out there are true abominations.

Offline pace8500

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:23:13 »
I will never buy a HHKB because they didn't put a ctrl key in the bottom right. As a heavy gamer this is beyond irritating and putting the key somewhere else does not help.

It doesn't even have to be a control key, if they'd put a key in that area so I can bind crouch to it I would buy a HHKB asap.

That is the exact reason i sold my HHKB

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:38:48 »

Thing is, there were keyboards, like the OmniKey, that actually allowed you to switch between the two layouts, using a DIP switch. And the HHKB has DIP switches. But they didn't want to include it :/ .

Offline pace8500

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:49:27 »

Thing is, there were keyboards, like the OmniKey, that actually allowed you to switch between the two layouts, using a DIP switch. And the HHKB has DIP switches. But they didn't want to include it :/ .

That might have helped, i didn't realise how much i would miss the bottom left control key though so would have probably ended up selling anyway. Much happier with a  standard 60% board now.

Offline zslane

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 10:52:51 »
When I first began using computing equipment, the standard location for the Ctrl key was next to the A key, where CapsLock lives now. I was used to that, and for years it used to annoy me that the Ctrl key had slid down into the bottom left corner (thanks to the popularity of all those horrible IBM keyboards and their clones). Of course now, after 30 years of it, I am used to Ctrl being down there and it would feel really strange to go back to it being next to the A key.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 12:46:29 »
topre
I love Elzy

Offline Rally Man

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:17:25 »
Dislike anything less then full size.  More because you have lot's of modding options for TKL's but less on full size.  I need my num pad!
INPUT GEAR
Work: Logitech MX Revolution |
Filco "Hulk" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Home: Razer Imperator | Filco "Doraemon" Majestouch-2 Tactile Action NKR
Want:  3DConnexion SpaceMouse Enterprise | Logitech MX Master

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 08:34:07 »
Tablet keyboards and most stock touch screen keyboards
Chris Schammert

Offline MrFex

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 14:46:35 »
+1 on tablet keyboards and OSD-keyboards.

Also I had to learn the hard way that I absolutely friggin' HATE blue cherry-mx switches .. each to his own I suppose.