Author Topic: Keyboard Schematic  (Read 7486 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline DaveB

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 40
  • Location: Washington, PA US
Keyboard Schematic
« on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:46:44 »
Greetings! I'm going to attempt a mod for which I need to know exactly where the + shaped switch pins are (I wish I knew the name, sorry). Does the schematic for the plate exist?

Here's what I'm doing: I got a set of those typewriter key caps from eBay. They are killer! I really, really love these things. I don't mind the appearance of the tops of the switches showing, or even a bit of the blue from the pin in my switches, but cleaning all that doesn't seem like it would be a breeze, and I would not like seeing it gommed-up. So, my plan is to cut wood veneer to fit in each of the 8 sections of the board. A hole will be cut for each switch pin. The veneer is thin enough that, if sitting on top of the switches, will still allow full stroke length of each key, that is, the key cap won't hit it, at least that's the plan. So, imagine this with a new wood key bed.

Offline SKD

  • * Vendor
  • Posts: 152
  • Location: England
Re: Keyboard Schematic
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 12:44:05 »
Using swillkb's plate builder you can get the plate drawn. From the plate you can draw a cross from corner to corner of each switch position. Since the stem '+' bit is in the middle of the switch (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can draw a circle from the center of the cross for the caps stem (or whatever it's called lol). You then delete the square and cross, leaving just the circle which is what you need to cut out. Then work out the dimensions of the 8 sections.

That's the way I thought of. Don't forget you need to work where the stabiliser go too.