Author Topic: KUL ES-87 MX Clears: Change from stock ABS OEM prof. to Vortex PBT Cherry prof.  (Read 4119 times)

Offline macguy80

(Had to abbreviate "profile" to "prof." to fit the entire subject)

Would such a change produce any change in its overall feel?

Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Yes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
I...HATE the feeling of MX clears on my pok3r with OEM profile honestly....however the Thick BSP Cherry profile caps on the same board make it feel heavenly honestly.

I refuse to even use MX Clears with OEM profile if that's any indication of how much of a difference it makes in the feel IMO.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline macguy80

I know what my next purchase will be then :) Thanks!

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

It might be wise to see if you can purchase one single Blank keycap from a website that sells singles.  This would let you experiment before spending the high price Cherry profile keycaps can command.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I...HATE the feeling of MX clears on my pok3r with OEM profile honestly....however the Thick BSP Cherry profile caps on the same board make it feel heavenly honestly.

I refuse to even use MX Clears with OEM profile if that's any indication of how much of a difference it makes in the feel IMO.

In you case, could it be the extra weight of the thick BSP keycaps having the side-effect of reducing the weight of the switches slightly?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline macguy80

In you case, could it be the extra weight of the thick BSP keycaps having the side-effect of reducing the weight of the switches slightly?

I'd definitely call that a desirable side-effect, for me, anyway. :)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

I would definitely say that is a very noticeable and desirable side effect absolutely.  I've tried my Clears using DCS ABS for example and while the shorter profile felt better than OEM on the Clears the thin light ABS of the DCS set felt nowhere near as nice as the thick PBT on the BSP set.   However, i still preferred the DCS set over even the thick OEM PBT sets i have from Vortex and Ducky.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

I would definitely say that is a very noticeable and desirable side effect absolutely.  I've tried my Clears using DCS ABS for example and while the shorter profile felt better than OEM on the Clears the thin light ABS of the DCS set felt nowhere near as nice as the thick PBT on the BSP set.   However, i still preferred the DCS set over even the thick OEM PBT sets i have from Vortex and Ducky.

Fair enough :)

I've only used my CODE with the stock keycaps.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

Fair enough :)

I've only used my CODE with the stock keycaps.

Should you ever try Cherry profile PBT on your CODE definitely report back, i would be very interested in hearing what you have to say personally about the differences.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline macguy80

However, i still preferred the DCS set over even the thick OEM PBT sets i have from Vortex and Ducky.

Profile aside, is Vortex a good brand for keycaps?

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

However, i still preferred the DCS set over even the thick OEM PBT sets i have from Vortex and Ducky.

Profile aside, is Vortex a good brand for keycaps?

Very hit or miss. 

I have some sets from them that are done quite well for the $ and others so bad i had to return them...multiple times due to horrible doubleshots on the legends or other issues.  Also the texture on their PBT is not quite as good as other brands IMO.

Current Daily Driver/s

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
lower profile feels better on heavier switches?

my poker 2 has DSA on them and they feel great one issue tho, the keyset feels loose when i transfer them to other keyboards

i dont mind the oem profile on them(mx clears) aswell but granite looks better IMHO

i have varmilo keycaps that are almost cherry profile(Step sculpture 2) could they suffice?

But a friend of mine had a varmilo va87 with MX clears with varmilo PBT keycaps which are tight AF especially on clear stems which seem to be bigger/thicker compared to other mx/clone stems.

He experienced removing a mx clear stem coz he wasnt careful enough about removing the keycaps  :eek:

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

lower profile feels better on heavier switches?

my poker 2 has DSA on them and they feel great one issue tho, the keyset feels loose when i transfer them to other keyboards

i dont mind the oem profile on them(mx clears) aswell but granite looks better IMHO

i have varmilo keycaps that are almost cherry profile(Step sculpture 2) could they suffice?

But a friend of mine had a varmilo va87 with MX clears with varmilo PBT keycaps which are tight AF especially on clear stems which seem to be bigger/thicker compared to other mx/clone stems.

He experienced removing a mx clear stem coz he wasnt careful enough about removing the keycaps  :eek:

It's very subjective of course but i have always felt lower profile (Especially thick keycap lower profile) made heavier switches feel a little lighter than they are and far more usable IMO.  I can't stand the feeling of MX Clears with OEM keycaps but for lighter switches like Reds or Browns i can use OEM just fine. 
Current Daily Driver/s