Author Topic: My first hand-wired keyboard  (Read 6295 times)

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
My first hand-wired keyboard
« on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 01:26:53 »
Hello, guys!

I just recently finished my hand wired keyboard,
big thank to matt3o's wonderful tutorial (the brownfox) and library from Nico.
The tool keyboard layout editor and Plate & Case Builder are of great help too.

Let start with my design:

(it's like a hybrid of HHKB and Filco Minila, though I put things of my own in there,  :p )

With the layout editor and plate builder tools, I have the plate ready:

So I began hand-wiring and finished the "mock build":

by the way, I use Arduino Pro Micro for the controller. At this point, the board is working.

After "cleaned-up" the wires:

The board with keycaps: (G20 with a 3u Cherry spacebar  :)) )

the case is acrylic sandwich type

There are few steps to the final product:
- led: numlock, capslock, esc-flip
- feet (10deg)

but it seems I have to give up on leds, because I used all of the Arduino Pro Micro's pins (only TX, RX are left), there are no pins for led  :( 
also, the layer flip for numpad is not working as intended (because numlock is off, the keys will not send numbers,  :rolleyes:) I may have to make it works separately from the numlock.

In the process, I broke 6 switches because I didn't solder properly and have to do it again, again and again  :rolleyes:

I'm glad that my board is working (I'm typing with it right now)
I guess I still need time to "adapt" to this layout for the sake of true 10 fingers typing.

Thank you for reading,
Tom.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: My first hand-wired keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 03:24:23 »
Got worried when I saw a 3u spacebar but you have one, looks great!  Unlike many people you did not fall at the firmware stage so give yourself a pat on the back :)

Some good news too - TX and RX can be used for LEDs, they are PD3 and PD2 respectively.  You have spare positions in the bottom row of the matrix if you really need a third one too, as long as you don't mind a little more wiring...

You've made it this far so I'll say no more, but your dream board is within reach :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 09:39:37 »
Got worried when I saw a 3u spacebar but you have one, looks great!  Unlike many people you did not fall at the firmware stage so give yourself a pat on the back :)

Some good news too - TX and RX can be used for LEDs, they are PD3 and PD2 respectively.  You have spare positions in the bottom row of the matrix if you really need a third one too, as long as you don't mind a little more wiring...

You've made it this far so I'll say no more, but your dream board is within reach :thumb:

thank you!  :thumb:
I will play around with the TX and RX, hopefully I can make them work  :p

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 11:43:05 »
alright, I got them working,

2 leds: capslock and esc-flip

I think I'm content with 2 leds  ;D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 11:55:58 »
That's better :)

Do you really use the menu key often enough to give it a dedicated key?  If you moved it to FN and left Alt you colud still press it with one hand, then`~ could go on that key and you could use the Esc LED for num lock.  Just a thought...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline a-c

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 12:43:12 »

With minor surgery you can use the two status LEDs on the Pro Micro as digital io pins.

You could also use WS2812b LEDs which daisy chain and only need 1 data pin. https://www.adafruit.com/products/1312 Just glue them to the bottom of the translucent switches.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 21:38:26 »
That's better :)

Do you really use the menu key often enough to give it a dedicated key?  If you moved it to FN and left Alt you colud still press it with one hand, then`~ could go on that key and you could use the Esc LED for num lock.  Just a thought...

actually I don't use menu key that much,
though while playing game: ESC to "cancel order/spell" and `~ to display the score board, if I put `~ at the position of the menu key, that would be too far. Other time, I need dedicated `~  => so I figure I will need esc-flip ;D

With minor surgery you can use the two status LEDs on the Pro Micro as digital io pins.

You could also use WS2812b LEDs which daisy chain and only need 1 data pin. https://www.adafruit.com/products/1312 Just glue them to the bottom of the translucent switches.

I will need some research  :)