Author Topic: is it possible to add mass to keys?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline tinyenormous

is it possible to add mass to keys?
« on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:30:06 »
It could be that I'm simply bad at searching, but I haven't run across anyone trying to add mass to caps. it seems like a thin layer of epoxy on the inside of the cap could help firm up the feeling of some cheaper caps. Has anyone experimented with this?

Also - are cheap caps thin because their outer shell is further from the stem, or is it because the inner shell is closer?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: is it possible to add mass to keys?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:31:06 »
Probably too much effort if you're doing it to cheaper caps - just buy a better set.

Offline tinyenormous

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:50:10 »
^ that's totally true, but it could also be useful as a way to further customize things, like how people lube switches and add o rings.

It also might simply break the caps. or make it so that the switches can't fully depress.

If no one has any experience with this maybe I'll have to give it a shot!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:56:33 »
What switches are you working with? If you are a Cherry user, you already have a range of choices on the market.

Remember that the mass effect works both ways. You may get a faster and easier down-stroke, but the spring will be working against that extra weight and inertia coming back up. Many gamers (like my son) prefer black Cherry switches for their stronger springs because it makes the recovery more crisp.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 16:58:33 »
I mean there isn't much point, you're just customizing for the ****ery of it. Surely lubing, stickering, swapping springs, swapping housing, swapping stems, different plates, case materials etc is enough. :eek: