Author Topic: 40% keyboard: which one is the easiest to learn and/or most comfortable to use?  (Read 4633 times)

Offline menuhin

I don't know why I'm starting this: because I'm using mostly the 70%-75% keyboards, i.e. those space savers still having the arrow keys. I am still reluctant to give up (or move them to the function layers) the function keys, not to mention the number keys.

However, quite a few 40% keyboards caught my eye: compact size, multiple thumb keys, and the philosophy of shorter finger travel distance (i.e. without R4).

For those who have experienced the 40% keyboard, do you like them? And which one is your favorite? And why?

Here are a few I've read about:
  • Planck
  • JD45
  • JD40
  • Van44 / miniVan
  • MA42
  • kb45p
  • Golbat
  • Minorca
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 September 2016, 18:39:25 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
I love my JD45 but then again I have only used  a JD45.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
I have a Planck, miniVan, kb45p, and two JD45s.

Didn't like the Planck at all.  The lack of the staggered layout really killed it for me.

I love my miniVan for writing.
I use my kb45p on my separate terminal.  It's the smallest of the lot, and is usable even 1-handed.
My JD45/BT JD45 are pretty much the one I use all around to connect to my laptop.  I just need to reprogram the BT one to the default layout; I haven't so far.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
I can only comment that I prefer the normal layout boards over an ortholinear board.

much easier to learn a new keymap setup when the keys are generally in their normal spot

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
I use a Diverge TM, which you can find here: http://unikeyboard.io/

I would say it's likely more comfortable than many other choices due to the fact that it's a split keyboard, though at the same time that could make it harder to learn.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline S1llyC0ne

I can only comment that I prefer the normal layout boards over an ortholinear board.

much easier to learn a new keymap setup when the keys are generally in their normal spot

Funny you ! Calling normal a layout designed because of the internals of a typewriter. "Traditional" would be more accurate.

@menuhin : I would have a look at the  Atreus 40%. Typing on a small keyboard can be hard on the wrists since the hands are kept close as long as you type.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline PollandAkuma

I don't know why I'm starting this: because I'm using mostly the 70%-75% keyboards, i.e. those space savers still having the arrow keys. I am still reluctant to give up (or move them to the function layers) the function keys, not to mention the number keys.

However, quite a few 40% keyboards caught my eye: compact size, multiple thumb keys, and the philosophy of shorter finger travel distance (i.e. without R4).

For those who have experienced the 40% keyboard, do you like them? And which one is your favorite? And why?

Here are a few I've read about:
  • Planck
  • JD45
  • JD40
  • Van44 / miniVan
  • MA42
  • kb45p
  • Golbat
  • Minorca

I really like your username OP. Could you be refering to our one and only Lord?  ;)

I myself was thinking about getting a minivan. But now that I've found Diverge TM, I started thinking about whether I should go for a split ergo like Atreus. Not to mention, Atreus is the very board which atrracted me to this hobby  :rolleyes:

I've literally seen zero videos of Atreus owners doing typing tests on it. I really want to know how it works IRL!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
My vote goes for the JD40.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline PollandAkuma

Where can one get a JD40? Haven;t been seeing them around, I've only seen JD45.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

Where can one get a JD40? Haven;t been seeing them around, I've only seen JD45.

PM JD, check classifieds.

I haven't been around for a while, so there might be another outlet.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dilbertprogrammer

• Keyboard Connoisseur
I've grown fond of the staggered offerings from Panc Co -- the Minorca and the Sebright.
Having the ability to program your own layout makes settling into the form factor that much easier.