Author Topic: [IC] GMK Jah Vibes Mods  (Read 10389 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
[IC] GMK Jah Vibes Mods
« on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 16:02:39 »
Hey there,

since some people missed some keys in Unique0rn, i'd like to discuss with you my next small mod addon which will be sold in the near future on Massdrop. Because it might drop very soon i will hold this IC until the end of that week.

But enough with schedule here are Jah Vibes mods.

As you can see instead of using windows logo, i decided to use a typical "jaimaca tree"  :blank:. So that jamaica tree is not final (fast sketch) and i want to simplify it and make it more appealing. So the discussion is more about featured keys, colors swaps and etc. I am open for every constructive feedback and suggestion.
Unfortunately its not allowed to make keys with jamaica trees, so i'd like improvise here a little bit and i introduce that logo. If someone see the jamaica tree in that logo - well thats your problem, its how you see the things :) Anyway other symbols like star are not out of discussion.

The whole picture in comination with other sets:
Dolch

WoB (my personal fav combo with jah vibes)

Hyperfuse

Carbon

Discuss :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:12:27 by T0mb3ry »

Offline loud_asian

Re: [IC] GMK Jah Vibes Mods
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 16:27:43 »
oh lord  :eek:
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 16:28:54 »
I want it, but idk how  the color will look on black :(

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 16:44:38 »
das p lit fam

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 16:46:22 »
So silly it's great.

Very glad you're running an IC before the drop hits. You mention near future, but how near is that? I thought Unique0rn could've been improved upon by adding a few more keys; is that what you're doing here?
I also personally felt the colors on Uni could've been swapped, but here I think they're fine as is.  :cool:

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 17:01:00 »
Perhaps use a simpler leaf :|, doesn't look like what it is inferred to be :p.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 17:02:31 »
Added some mockups with popular sets, so you can see the whole picture. Sorry about forgeting that.

However i found there is 1.25u "Fn" key missing. I'll add it with the next update.

Perhaps use a simpler leaf :|, doesn't look like what it is inferred to be :p.

As i said i will rework it anyway  ;)

You mention near future, but how near is that? I thought Unique0rn could've been improved upon by adding a few more keys; is that what you're doing here?
I also personally felt the colors on Uni could've been swapped, but here I think they're fine as is.  :cool:

I dont know when Unique0rn will drop again, but sure i will run the same IC for the second round. I for myself miss some keys. We will swap the colors back and forth to make the color combos more appealling. Who knows maybe i will go even for custom colors to amplify the vibe.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2016, 17:11:23 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 17:17:23 »
Lurch
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 17:19:18 »
MD? meh!

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 17:20:06 »
It's 4:20 somewhere.

I'll probably have no use for this at all but it's so funny that I probably will end buying it regardless LOL

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 18:11:07 »
Sorry, I meant near future for this particular set. I brought in Unique0rn just for reference.

Are you willing to add keys to this set?

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 18:21:05 »
I think all the keys should just have a leaf.  ;) 

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 18:22:21 »
Sorry, I meant near future for this particular set. I brought in Unique0rn just for reference.

Are you willing to add keys to this set?
Sure  ;) If it gets too much i can also imagine making two sets(splitting in two parts).

Offline ba7777

[IC] GMK Jah Vibes Mods
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 18:44:55 »
As a fan of Bob Marley myself, this is a must buy set.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 19:33:15 »
the legend color is more harmonious than GMK uniqueorn.
i have got my uniqueorn, i am very fond of it  except for purple on magenta. That purple seems a bit dark than real one. i  think purple consists some red element similar to magenta to some extent.
However , this JAH mod have chosen the harmonious legend color with bottom color.
i will buy at least one set , may be two.
thank you very much

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 19:52:34 »
Love it overall, but would love to see the Fn and Shift changed to different colors :D.

Also, whatever you use for your layouts is beautiful.

I assume you made the file yourself ? :D
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline tribade

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 11:39:56 »
I actually really love this set. Consider me interested!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 16:28:40 »
Made some small update to the kit and the mockups.

The weed leaf is not allowed and its gone. However i've made that logo which might remind you of something. I am open also for other symbols like star for example.

I assume you made the file yourself ? :D

Yes these "try to look like cherry" mockups are selfmade :)

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 05:10:26 »
Great, mod set bro  :D
I hope you like jammin', too  ;)

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 05:20:33 »
Looks dope (hahaha see what I did there  :().

But it might be a good idea to add a 1u FN key that has the same color as the shift keys, just for the people that want to go split right shift.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 05:24:05 »
good stuff.  :thumb:
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 10:02:21 »
All I have to say is... damn son.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 10:02:42 »
Great, mod set bro  :D
I hope you like jammin', too  ;)

I've jammed in my youth frequently. You know netherlands is only 30km from me away :) I got a lot of people in my life who are still jamming and will jam until they die ;)

But it might be a good idea to add a 1u FN key that has the same color as the shift keys, just for the people that want to go split right shift.

Well, i'll bring back that green "Fn" key with the next update. Thanks for that constructive suggestion ;)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 10:22:11 »
Not a set for me but the color combinations work decently well. I say decently because red and yellow reminds me of something else :rolleyes:

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:35:13 »
Made some small update to the kit and the mockups.

The weed leaf is not allowed and its gone. However i've made that logo which might remind you of something. I am open also for other symbols like star for example.

:( I thought it was a Japanese maple leaf, WTF?!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:42:03 »
:( I thought it was a Japanese maple leaf, WTF?!

Lulz!  :)) You can interpret it as you like anyway  ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:43:54 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Gajible

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:51:12 »
sigh

Sign me up.

Offline Cony_WANG

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 03:58:39 »
I have a suggestion that the 1.25u Fn be replaced by a 1.25u Menu key. ;)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 04:52:43 »
I like this set, but that's not something that I would really use at home or at work. That marijuana leaf.... no thanks.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 05:02:50 »
That marijuana leaf.... no thanks.

The new design looks like an angled shot of one of these paper windmills for me  :thumb:

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 07:34:42 »
That marijuana leaf.... no thanks.

The new design looks like an angled shot of one of these paper windmills for me  :thumb:

Hello Rorschach

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 11:28:50 »
Please lose that stupid logo - I don't know what it is or supposed to be, but it's awful. It certainly doesn't say Jamaica, if anything it looks like a corporate logo for a Health Insurance company. And why even a logo at all? The colors work well enough without the need for one.

Offline Purp

• Banned
  • the colour, not the weed
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 12:45:07 »
Please lose that stupid logo - I don't know what it is or supposed to be, but it's awful. It certainly doesn't say Jamaica, if anything it looks like a corporate logo for a Health Insurance company. And why even a logo at all? The colors work well enough without the need for one.

I'm not completely sure if you're trolling or if you're serious but the logo is clearly an awful attempt to reproduce the marijuana/hemp leaf in case you're wondering. About the current design, there are two aspects of OP's idea that actually bother me to the point I decided to post a reply to express my opinion about this. One of said aspects is the "celebration" of drugs (I won't get into a social discussion about this and argue with people whether they should use drugs or not) but I don't think this is necessary or cool at all. The other issue that I have with this is that OP directly connects Jamaica, which is an absolutely amazing and beautiful country with plenty of fantastic wild life and incredible people, culture and food to something very negative which is drugs. In 3rd world countries drugs represent a huge social problem as they destroy families and bring violence and crime to local communities. So if you want to celebrate Jamaica and this particular unique colour way, that clearly relates to the country, I recommend you to not use any sort of stupid logo at all and go for "Win" or "System" as a replacement. I won't be getting this anyway because I don't particularly like the colours but I'm sure that others do.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 12:47:43 »

I'm not completely sure if you're trolling or if you're serious but the logo is clearly an awful attempt to reproduce the marijuana/hemp leaf in case you're wondering. About the current design, there are two aspects of OP's idea that actually bother me to the point I decided to post a reply to express my opinion about this. One of said aspects is the "celebration" of drugs (I won't get into a social discussion about this and argue with people whether they should use drugs or not) but I don't think this is necessary or cool at all. The other issue that I have with this is that OP directly connects Jamaica, which is an absolutely amazing and beautiful country with plenty of fantastic wild life and incredible people, culture and food to something very negative which is drugs. In 3rd world countries drugs represent a huge social problem as they destroy families and bring violence and crime to local communities. So if you want to celebrate Jamaica and this particular unique colour way, that clearly relates to the country, I recommend you to not use any sort of stupid logo at all and go for "Win" or "System" as a replacement. I won't be getting this anyway because I don't particularly like the colours but I'm sure that others do.

I share your view. Thanks for your insight.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 13:12:09 »
I feel strongly about the usage of marijuana/drugs in general, I do not share the "weed's not a drug it's completely fine bro" mentality whatsoever and I agree that it can destroy families and bring people a lot of woe.

That said, I think being so against a silly key set with a logo/icon that could potentially resemble a weed leaf (to be politically correct) is a stretch and unnecessary. It's not like this is promoting usage, I know a lot of people who are Jamaica aficionados and who like the general theme associated with this set and who do not smoke, not everyone who likes this sorta thing condones drug usage.

I feel it's more disrespectful and narrow minded to somehow not want to allow this set to see production because of the marijuana leaf than it would be to produce it despite its association with the culture.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 September 2016, 13:17:35 by Vigrith »

Offline Jedi

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 19:28:21 »
Let's keep the leaf and just go for changing the theme name. I support not tying a country or people to the theme. But dammit we have the colors that are so symbolic of unity and peace. This is definitely a hard one.

I do see the value this set portrays. Here's a thought. Take the novelty key out and sell it as a one off with a MOQ of whatever and run it through OrigCo or some place other than MD. Then sell the set minus the logo key through whatever vendor OP chooses.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 20:18:55 »
I just disagree with the idea that once you're told you can't use a marijuana leaf, you choose to make a design that resembles the marijuana leaf and then say its 'your problem' if you see the resemblance.
Just throw out the key you've been told isn't allowed and think of something else.

The colors are great and Jamaica is great, but the forced in drug references are just immature and not appealing to me.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 22:15:16 »
uhm.. ask SP to make pot cap?

they already have some stoner caps, so they probably will do it.

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 23:08:54 »

I'm fully aware of what it resembles and I agree 100% with your statement. I guess I just gave the OP the benefit of the doubt to assume that they wouldn't have the audacity to reference a marijuana leaf in this scenario but it appears that they did.

I will buy the set regardless because I like colors and I buy most GMK releases but I will honestly toss those keys if they come with it. Just seems like a shame because not only does it reflect badly on the community to support such a concept, but it could also be so much better.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 23:31:37 »
I'm fully aware of what it resembles and I agree 100% with your statement. I guess I just gave the OP the benefit of the doubt to assume that they wouldn't have the audacity to reference a marijuana leaf in this scenario but it appears that they did.

You absolutely have to be trolling.

...Right? The remainder of your post after that statement looks so serious that I'm confused.

Regardless, come on people, saying the leaf could be replaced by something else that looks better or generally fits the set more appropriately, fine, but being offended with its usage? It's 2016, the set's obviously not serious nor meant to advocate drug usage. One of my Abigail Williams shirts has an inverted pentagram on the back of it and reads "Under Hell, Under Satan", my ultra religious Roman Christian grandmother who is 83 years old thought it was funny. Obviously I do not worship Satan. Please.

I don't think anyone should impose such strong frowning upon something that's as tame as this is just because you want to stand moral high ground. The mods pack isn't going to come with a complimentary packet of cocaine, it's a picture of a leaf that resembles (obviously intentionally so) a marijuana leaf on a Jamaican themed set. Mercy.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 00:59:27 »
I see that logo caused some heat. This is why i do this IC. Thats valuable feedback and in this case i will replace that logo with "Code" or a star. Thanks everyone.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 01:26:44 »
I like this set, and I think I will get one. I like also the logo  :thumb:

About the logo, I think this is pure hypocrisy, if the set would have contained a 420 CC people would be all over that. Each year I see people pray to RNG gods so that they win something in a 420 sale (almost all artisan makers seem to have one), so let's drop the bull****.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline joey

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 02:14:25 »
I see that logo caused some heat. This is why i do this IC. Thats valuable feedback and in this case i will replace that logo with "Code" or a star. Thanks everyone.
Shame.

'jah vibes' not 'jamaica vibes'.

"In an English-language context, the name Jah is now most commonly associated with the Rastafari" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jah)

"A "reasoning" is a simple event where the Rastas gather, smoke marijuana ("ganja"), and discuss." .. "It is used to reason with Jah (God)." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari)

So I would say the marijuana leaf could be linked quite easily to 'jah vibes'.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2016, 02:28:04 by joey »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 04:40:35 »
Shame.

'jah vibes' not 'jamaica vibes'.

"In an English-language context, the name Jah is now most commonly associated with the Rastafari" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jah)

"A "reasoning" is a simple event where the Rastas gather, smoke marijuana ("ganja"), and discuss." .. "It is used to reason with Jah (God)." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari)

So I would say the marijuana leaf could be linked quite easily to 'jah vibes'.

With "Jah Vibes" i am refering the whole Reggae culture. Thus refers also to Jamaica. The weed leaf is actually not necessary, because the colors do their thing already. Ofcourse the leaf would be a nice feature. However this is a "nogo" for companies like MD.

In the end its the colors, who makes this set and not the leaf or logo.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:08:40 »
The modifiers has been updated with more neutral "Code" instead of abstract leaf logo. Hope that satisfies the majority.

The mockups were also updated.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:27:47 »
Maybe go for some neutral logo like the peace sign:

No one should be offended by that as it still stays in the context of Rastafari/Reggae culture but does not condone, promote or even hint to drugs, drug use and drug abuse.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:29:14 »
The modifiers has been updated with more neutral "Code" instead of abstract leaf logo. Hope that satisfies the majority.
Show Image

The mockups were also updated.
Like the leaf better, the 1.25 shift is too busy, leaving the icon only will be enough.
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 22:15:42 »

Show Image

You absolutely have to be trolling.

...Right? The remainder of your post after that statement looks so serious that I'm confused.

Regardless, come on people, saying the leaf could be replaced by something else that looks better or generally fits the set more appropriately, fine, but being offended with its usage? It's 2016, the set's obviously not serious nor meant to advocate drug usage. One of my Abigail Williams shirts has an inverted pentagram on the back of it and reads "Under Hell, Under Satan", my ultra religious Roman Christian grandmother who is 83 years old thought it was funny. Obviously I do not worship Satan. Please.

I don't think anyone should impose such strong frowning upon something that's as tame as this is just because you want to stand moral high ground. The mods pack isn't going to come with a complimentary packet of cocaine, it's a picture of a leaf that resembles (obviously intentionally so) a marijuana leaf on a Jamaican themed set. Mercy.

Oh you're one of those guys.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 15:26:30 »
Just closing this topic.

Thanks everybody for participating in this IC.  :thumb: