Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 185473 times)

Offline Parva Ovis

Would this layout be possible?

(Attachment Link)
No. The pcb only can do 1.25/1.25/1.25 on the left side of the bottom row. Thus there also wouldn't be a place for a stabilizer to go for that spacebar.

Offline Giorgio

(Attachment Link)
No. The pcb only can do 1.25/1.25/1.25 on the left side of the bottom row. Thus there also wouldn't be a place for a stabilizer to go for that spacebar.

Thanks, this pcb is very good anyway, since the second variant is possible.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

(Attachment Link)

Beat me to it!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I contacted a local shop to get a quote for the steel plates. I'll get back to you guys with a pretty good estimate, but first I want to make sure if their quality is up to my standards.

Offline geauxtig3rs

This is definitely going to be my first group buy... This is the only PCB that looks to even come close to the layout that I want.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
This is definitely going to be my first group buy... This is the only PCB that looks to even come close to the layout that I want.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm glad you like it :D

Offline Giorgio

Why have you chosen SP instead of GMK?
Pricing? Faster production?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com

SP because the profile picked is DSA. GMK don't offer that.

Offline gadzkun

the price was nice! i think i will get 2 PCB(for split and normal) :p

Offline Giorgio

SP because the profile picked is DSA. GMK don't offer that.

Well... whatever...  :))

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I haven't really said anything official but at least for this gb, we will only be running the plate and pcb. I think once this gb finishes I want to run the keyset separately or include in that 2nd round for the Banana Split. Sorry if that upsets anyone we just want the basics in check before adding on additional things like caps and cases. :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Awesome, thanks for the support :D

Offline gadzkun

Awesome, thanks for the support :D

im usually dont like 60% board(i dont even had ones), but this one had arrow keys so i must have it ;)

Offline geekhackuserx

Fairly new to custom mech keyboards, but will make this my first build if it gets to the group buy stage. Very exciting and am watching this closely :)

Offline geauxtig3rs

Gah....Did not mean to post....

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
Looking forward to this project!

I don't know if it's too much trouble (and I'm pretty sure it is), but would it be possible to implement the shifted R4 as seen on the XD60? https://world.taobao.com/item/537485105086.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.9RWSHi#detail

I'd really like to keep both my arrows and my question mark, if possible. That, combined with a split space setup, would make this board an instant buy from me. If not, no big deal. I can bind the question mark elsewhere :P

Offline zer09

I don't know if it's too much trouble (and I'm pretty sure it is), but would it be possible to implement the shifted R4 as seen on the XD60? https://world.taobao.com/item/537485105086.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.9RWSHi#detail
Show Image

I'd really like to keep both my arrows and my question mark, if possible. That, combined with a split space setup, would make this board an instant buy from me. If not, no big deal. I can bind the question mark elsewhere :P

Yeah that would be nice, especially for dvorak user. Because our letter Z is on the question mark key.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Show Image

Yeah that would be nice, especially for dvorak user. Because our letter Z is on the question mark key.

The way we want to implement the question mark key is through firmware, holding the shift key results in a shift key press. While tapping on it produces a question mark. This is something we can do through qmk.

I'm also not understanding what you mean by the shifted fourth row, from what I see in the pictures xd60 has a similair r4 to the banana, can you maybe a post a picture or a different link. Or I might just be blind  :p

Edit: Are you talking about having a short shift and using the extra key to shift the row down? Because if so the board will already offer the left short shift.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 February 2017, 21:21:52 by Arhipio »

Offline zer09

The way we want to implement the question mark key is through firmware, holding the shift key results in a shift key press. While tapping on it produces a question mark. This is something we can do through qmk.

ahh didn't know that, I am good with that.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

ahh didn't know that, I am good with that.

No problem :D

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne

Show Image

I'm also not understanding what you mean by the shifted fourth row, from what I see in the pictures xd60 has a similair r4 to the banana, can you maybe a post a picture or a different link. Or I might just be blind  :p

Edit: Are you talking about having a short shift and using the extra key to shift the row down? Because if so the board will already offer the left short shift.

Yeah. On the XD60 (and the HHKB JIS I believe), the left shift is 2U, allowing for an extra key to be fitted in on the right. In short, I'd like to have a 2u left shift, and have the rest of the keys on that row be 1u. Does that make sense?

If that's supported, I'm excited! If not...well, I'm still excited!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Show Image

Yeah. On the XD60 (and the HHKB JIS I believe), the left shift is 2U, allowing for an extra key to be fitted in on the right. In short, I'd like to have a 2u left shift, and have the rest of the keys on that row be 1u. Does that make sense?

If that's supported, I'm excited! If not...well, I'm still excited!

Ah I see what you mean now (actually scrolled down the taobao page and saw the layouts as well). At least for the first groupbuy we probably will not do this, at this point the layout is finalized. We will definitely consider this for future rounds.

Offline Giorgio

I haven't really said anything official but at least for this gb, we will only be running the plate and pcb. I think once this gb finishes I want to run the keyset separately or include in that 2nd round for the Banana Split. Sorry if that upsets anyone we just want the basics in check before adding on additional things like caps and cases. :)

Befere selling the complete set, there is something that could boost the sales, it is an addon kit which includes only the split spacebars. This could be made by gmk... flipped shift anyone? I'm sure that this would be a great incentive to buy the pcb  :thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

Befere selling the complete set, there is something that could boost the sales, it is an addon kit which includes only the split spacebars. This could be made by gmk... flipped shift anyone? I'm sure that this would be a great incentive to buy the pcb  :thumb:

Someone seriously needs to do this. Split spacebar will be in such demand later in the year.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

I was thinking of something similar but with pmk. I actually ordered the neon rgby set from originative for the sole purpose of using the shift and enter for the split spacebar on my banana. Gmk takes way too long for gb's, but that is something to consider for a future round.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Little announcement, I got a quote for the stainless steel plates. Looks like we will be selling the plates for $40 each. I'm currently working on getting a prototype cut. Once I get that I'll be sure to post some pictures. Just to keep things simple we will only offer one plate material, which will be the stainless steel. I've had to lay off a lot of things for the first round, but to keep things simple and successful we will only be selling the stainless steel plate and PCB for this gb. You can expect for future rounds a custom case, keyset, different plate materials, spacebar kits and etc.

Thanks for all the continued support and suggestions, expect some plate pics in the coming month.  :thumb:

Offline eddible

[IC] The Banana Split 60 - Pre Group Buy Interest Poll! Check the original post.
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 23:32:03 »
I've been making acrylic cases (5mm plates, 10mm middles, 3mm bottom plus feet) for various boards and intend to do the same for these. I don't intend on getting into GB territory, I'd just make them to order.

I'm smashtheplant on Reddit if you want to check my submissions for examples. :)

Forgot to add, the cases can also be made to take the PCB with the alu plate rather than use the acrylic plate, Pok3r style.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I've been making acrylic cases (5mm plates, 10mm middles, 3mm bottom plus feet) for various boards and intend to do the same for these. I don't intend on getting into GB territory, I'd just make them to order.

I'm smashtheplant on Reddit if you want to check my submissions for examples. :)

Forgot to add, the cases can also be made to take the PCB with the alu plate rather than use the acrylic plate, Pok3r style.

Awesome to hear, when the gb hits I'll add your name in the post for people who want a case. Maybe we can even organize a gb launch giveaway with your cases :D

Edit: Have any pictures :D ?

Offline eddible

Awesome to hear, when the gb hits I'll add your name in the post for people who want a case. Maybe we can even organize a gb launch giveaway with your cases :D

Sounds exciting!
Here are some of the 60% cases:

https://imgur.com/a/TA8Ks

And here's a Planck I did:
https://imgur.com/a/NXilx

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Sounds exciting!
Here are some of the 60% cases:

https://imgur.com/a/TA8Ks

And here's a Planck I did:
https://imgur.com/a/NXilx

Those look great!

Offline sithlord

Glad to see that things are moving along. Can't wait for the pictures. :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Glad to see that things are moving along. Can't wait for the pictures. :thumb:

:thumb:

Offline kawasaki161

Any info on the stabilizer orientation yet? If I end up running the GB of my case I might be interested in offering this PCB. The stab orientation is important to know to prevent the plate to touch the stabilizer housings from above.

Shameless plug:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Any info on the stabilizer orientation yet? If I end up running the GB of my case I might be interested in offering this PCB. The stab orientation is important to know to prevent the plate to touch the stabilizer housings from above.

Shameless plug:
Show Image

I'm pretty sure we will be using a standard pcb-mounted stab orientation. That case looks really nice. If you want you can PM and I can go into more detail.

Offline geekhackuserx

Do you think there is enough interest to get this to the GB stage? If so, do you have an estimate for when? Tempted to just grab a YAS to hold me over, haha.

Offline Rykno

Do you think there is enough interest to get this to the GB stage? If so, do you have an estimate for when? Tempted to just grab a YAS to hold me over, haha.

any more info on YAS?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Oh for sure, we had 150+ entries for people willing to buy the plate and pcb. The plate design is finalized at this point, I'm in contact with a manufacturer and I'll have a prototype for you guys to see in the next 2 weeks. As for the pcb's Evan is in the process of moving so he hasn't had much time. We could convert it to the gb thread but I'd rather do this once we have everything sorted including physical prototypes on hand. There's still work to be done. I don't have an estimate for the gb, trust me I'm getting impatient myself :) .

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Looking forward to this GB! :3

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I'm actually in the process of redoing the plate, it shouldn't delay the plate prototype, just wanted to let everyone know. I'll post some renders once I'm done with it, just gotta wait on some digital calipers I ordered.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Quick update on the plate, I have almost everything done but the ISO area. Big shotout to kawasaki161 he was cool enough to provide all the needed measurements for the pcb stab holes. Here is a picture of the new plate.

Side note: Now using mx/alps switch holes instead of the mx only. They are still compatible with switch top removal.

Offline tomboy

Side note: Now using mx/alps switch holes instead of the mx only. They are still compatible with switch top removal.

Show Image

Awesome!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
Quick update on the plate, I have almost everything done but the ISO area. Big shotout to kawasaki161 he was cool enough to provide all the needed measurements for the pcb stab holes. Here is a picture of the new plate.

Show Image

Hmm, I don't think that bottom right section is going to work with Alps. The MX switches will have support from the top and bottom edges of the cutout, but the Alps are thinner and will just fall through.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Show Image

Hmm, I don't think that bottom right section is going to work with Alps. The MX switches will have support from the top and bottom edges of the cutout, but the Alps are thinner and will just fall through.

That's probably true, but the board won't have alps support. The reasoning behind the mx/alps holes is because the waterjet or laser cutting process is much cheaper compared to the regular cherry holes.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Hey guys I think I'm about done with the plate design. Just going to go through and make sure all the measurements are correct. Here's the plate with the new ISO hole.  :thumb:

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com

Show Image

That's probably true, but the board won't have alps support. The reasoning behind the mx/alps holes is because the waterjet or laser cutting process is much cheaper compared to the regular cherry holes.

Right, fair enough  :)  I guess some people (me) will jump to the conclusion that a plate with mx/alps switch holes will have been made to work with Alps. Might be good to just underline that point when it hits GB.

Whats the source for MX/Alps switch holes allowing you to still remove the switch top on MX? I do believe you, but I've never tried to test that myself and I'm now wondering why more people don't go with that option.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Show Image

Right, fair enough  :)  I guess some people (me) will jump to the conclusion that a plate with mx/alps switch holes will have been made to work with Alps. Might be good to just underline that point when it hits GB.

Whats the source for MX/Alps switch holes allowing you to still remove the switch top on MX? I do believe you, but I've never tried to test that myself and I'm now wondering why more people don't go with that option.

I believe I read up on swillkb's thread about mx/alps allowing switchtop removal. I have a board with these holes so I tested them myself. From my knowledge mx/alps holes have become the norm. LZ, LeadreN, Evangs, and many other use this style of mounting holes for their plates.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Decided to whip up some renders for you lovely folks. Enjoy!

I made the plates a little thicker on the renders to show off material and add more shadows :P . The actual plates will be standard 1.5 mm so you can click your switches into place.

Offline megaforce

Looking clean! Keep up the good work!
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Looking clean! Keep up the good work!

:thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I might delay the prototype since there is no rush currently, since there is still work to be done on the pcb. In the meantime I'll contact different manufacturer's to get the best price and quality. I'm thinking of having a brushed finish for the stainless steel and I will probably laser cut them. I might be able to get it on time (~2 weeks), but just as a head's up