Author Topic: I want to build a racing sim  (Read 5296 times)

Offline donwonjon

I want to build a racing sim
« on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 23:30:09 »
Hello everyone this is my 1st post. I have a few questions about building a racing sim to play forza 3. These questions may have been asked before, please dont be a "use the search feature" troll. I have researched my options, I dont really want the logitech or the fanatech wheels. I want something that real racing wheel bolt up to or that has a quick disconnect. If my friends play they would like to use the same wheel that they use in thier real race cars. Would it be possible to make arcade driving controls work with my xbox 360? If I were to buy a wheel already compatible to my xbox could I change the wheel without damaging the hardware? I want to find an old peice of crap car to use as the platform for my sim. I want to have the feeling that im actaully in a gutted out race car. Any input from the guys with DIY sims would be very helpfull.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 00:13:45 »
If you don't want a logitech or a fanatec, your options can be pretty limited. A lot of people use G25 internals and mount their own racing wheel to it, complete with quick disconnect. And people have gone the length of destroying G25s and 27s just for their internals. I found a bit of good information when building my racing frame at this forum. Good luck!

I went the cheapo route. Does it's job lol

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 00:17:37 »
Reason I suggest gutting an existing wheel is because, unless you've got the engineering to custom fab something for force feedback and interface it to USB, you'll have to build off something existing. Which isn't horrible, like I said, you can beef up a wheel, slap on a real leather wrapped racing wheel, and I believe there's some tutorials and beefing up the shifter on the G25 / 27.

Offline donwonjon

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 03:27:37 »
I just found out that the logitech wont work on my 360. Frankly this sucks, the fanatic seems to have a inferior shifter and it costs more. Does the logitech not work just because its not compatible or because of the connector? Would it be possible to splice the wires and mate it to the connector from a corded 360 controller? If they dont have the same amount of wires I  think it will be impossible. I know ps3 and 360 controllers have the same amount of buttons so I would assume they have the same amount of wires. My father is the electrician and I am the machinist, I would leave that to him. has anyone ever converted a logitech to work on a 360? I just really think the options for my 360 suck. I dont want a crappy microsoft wheel and I dont want an overpriced porsche wheel with a crappy shifter.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 16:30:10 »
Quote from: o2dazone;151235
use G25 internals and mount their own racing wheel to it, complete with quick disconnect. And people have gone the length of destroying G25s and 27s just for their internals.

Anyone convert a legacy DB15 joystick or trackball to USB? I did a quick review of that site and saw only flightsticks and racing wheel hacks.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 16:53:37 »
Oooh, the word "gameport" was not in my search lexicon. They have one here for $20. USB Panther here I come.

Since I'm the guy who paid $20 to hook up his $1 Playstation keyboard to USB, this is right up my alley.

.... when I get a job again.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2010, 17:03:43 by ricercar »

Offline firestorm

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 12:09:16 »
Until we finish our basement, I have no place for a full out sim, so I've resigned to eventually getting a Logitech G25, but I did find something in particular that may be helpful...

USB Game Control Interface
http://www.happcontrols.com/joysticks/950800xx.htm

I haven't looked at this in YEARS, but I believe it's ready for POTS and etc...

Offline Mr.6502

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 January 2010, 18:46:01 »
Ultimarc can be a handy stuff for this stuff too:

http://www.ultimarc.com/index.html

I have 2 I-pacs from them.  They work alright for the money.  And they have a nifty arcade trackball that can be installed very cleanly.
"Engineers are really good at labeling and branding things ...  If we had named Kentucky Fried Chicken, it would have been Hot Dead Birds."

-Vint Cerf

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 01:28:27 »
If you want to go nuts, and have CNC skills (Though the welding sucks), then this is the way forward.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2205812&postcount=545

It's a work in progress, and the guys work (aforementioned welding aside), is exceptional. More of a "I wish" than an "I'm going to do that" item.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 02:23:29 »

Some people have too much time on their obsessions. Personally, I enjoy sleeping at night.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 07:25:46 »
I just succumbed to my obsession last night and bought one of these:

The Tax Return Fairy was good to me last night.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 09:34:31 »
Quote from: ricercar;154510
Show Image

Some people have too much time on their obsessions. Personally, I enjoy sleeping at night.

Some people spend not enough time on spending too much time on their obsessions.

Where the hell is the foot rest to the left of the clutch pedal? This may seem insignificant but think of how uncomfortable it would be to hover your foot over the pedal at all times.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 09:39:54 »
Quote from: kishy;154548
Where the hell is the foot rest to the left of the clutch pedal? This may seem insignificant but think of how uncomfortable it would be to hover your foot over the pedal at all times.

It's a racing sim, not a commute-to-work sim. You're probably going to be shifting an awful lot. It also looks like there is plenty of room just to put your foot on the floor or the base of the pedals.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 29 January 2010, 10:21:36 »
Quote from: itlnstln;154550
It's a racing sim, not a commute-to-work sim. You're probably going to be shifting an awful lot. It also looks like there is plenty of room just to put your foot on the floor or the base of the pedals.

Lol obviously not a commute-to-work sim...though that could, if done right (read: everything that could possibly go wrong goes wrong), be an interesting game.

I dunno, hit a straightaway and get into top gear...depending on how long it is it'd make sense to put your foot elsewhere. I suppose below the pedal would be OK but that actually provides more latency than moving it sideways (or so I'm thinking...)
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca