Author Topic: Black PBT blanks?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline devoi

Black PBT blanks?
« on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:56:51 »
I've been a bit disappointed in trying to find these caps. For quite a while now I have been looking for Cherry profile blank thick PBT blanks.

At first I tried buying from geekkeys, which went fine, except for the fact that I received gray-colored caps:http://i.imgur.com/mhxzQ1b.jpg
I've also made a small album of the keys I received, just to make sure that I'm not just insane: http://imgur.com/a/2qeN7
If you notice, the keys in the bottom picture are black, except for the one spacebar, which matches the rest of the caps in the set, which I find odd. This says to me that the gray I received isn't just what they use for black, but that there's a difference between these gray caps and their black caps.
Unfortunately, their service hasn't been too keen on helping me somewhat quickly (I'm probably just too impatient, but it's been a couple weeks), so I decided to try a different brand.

After buying enjoypbt black blanks and receiving caps in the same gray color, I returned them.
I believe that taobao and maxkeyboards have sets, but they're OEM profile, rather than the Cherry profile that I'm trying to find.
Does anyone know of a working source of this type of caps?

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
Re: Black PBT blanks?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:58:29 »
I have these, seem pretty black to me

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:01:28 »
Finding true "black" PBT keycaps is hard.

I speculate that the reason for this is because PBT isn't as smooth as ABS, so color doesn't come across as well. It's a lot harder to get that "true" black in a PBT keycap.

If you're set on PBT, you probably won't get a deep black. The best I've seen are IMSTO black PBT caps.

You could also do research into POM keycaps, or settle for the dark grey that's so common.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline devoi

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:06:12 »
I have these, seem pretty black to me

Those were the ones that I bought that turned out to be gray   :(

Finding true "black" PBT keycaps is hard.

I speculate that the reason for this is because PBT isn't as smooth as ABS, so color doesn't come across as well. It's a lot harder to get that "true" black in a PBT keycap.

If you're set on PBT, you probably won't get a deep black. The best I've seen are IMSTO black PBT caps.

You could also do research into POM keycaps, or settle for the dark grey that's so common.

Damn. I've seen a few people with pretty genuine-looking deep black pbt caps. Kinda saddening. I also find it kinda weird that there's a lot of easily-accessible OEM profile caps that match the description, but not the exact same set in cherry profile  :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:19:15 by devoi »

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:46:59 »
Did you get the $60 black blank or the $40 dark gray from Geekkeys?

Offline devoi

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:55:17 »
Did you get the $60 black blank or the $40 dark gray from Geekkeys?

http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-black-blank-thick-pbt-full-keyset/
These were the ones I bought.